Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
drat, was that Barrowman's real voice with that insane Scottish accent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show continues to be the greatest.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can they actually cast an actor for Ra's Al Ghul? He's a Batman movie character and I thought that was off the table. Batman characters have always had weird rules for who can appear where with the different cartoon shows and movies.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dead Snoopy posted:

Comic book fans knew to expect the Batman parallels before the show started.

The pleasant surprise for the fans and NON comic book audience was many went into it expecting to see vivid echos of the Nolan Batman films but nobody who stuck with it expected it to overcome those impressions. It's a startling transition to go from, "oh look how they're going to rip Batman off, just like I KNEW they would" to "I don't give a poo poo that they're ripping off Batman movies, this is awesome."

The hype from the mention of Ras Al Ghul will start bringing in more people who passed on the show, and once they get a taste they'll probably love it. Thankfully the first season is up on Netflix and this show is fantastic for binge watching because almost every episode ends so well you immediately want to see the next.

They're bringing in The Flash, and other then Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern no other iconic heroes have movies that would make it a rights issue. They could double down on taking minor comic book characters and writing them fantastically well (Doll-Maker was almost perfect) or start slowly introducing major DC icons for potential future projects. The second runs the risk of taking the focus away from the development of Arrow as a superhero and into more gimmick "what new character shows up this week?"

I think a lot of it will have to do with how the Fox series Gotham goes. If that bombs then Arrow is the only DC property on TV and will have much more leeway.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Holy.

gently caress.

I literally cannot believe how fast this show moves yet how awesome the plot manages to be. The last minute of Arrow was better then almost anything else on TV.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xealot posted:

(Another aside: Arrow demonstrates exactly why Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. feels so weak. DC is giving this show some pretty great leeway as to what character or scenarios they can reference or depict. Meanwhile, S.H.I.E.L.D. feels like pulling teeth, because it's obvious that all Marvel's comic IP is earmarked for use in the films, and the TV show's subsisting on table scraps.)

Table scraps is generous. They had to create their own evil organization for an ongoing plot, and the last episode was as generic as it gets; meet new person with a problem, problem causes havoc, problem gets resolved, no mention of the greater Marvel continuity other then name dropping SHIELD.

Given the huge amount of evil organizations in the comics forcing them to make a new one for the show is hilarious and shows just how ridiculous the hoarding of Marvel comic's IP is.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 2, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eddain posted:

This is only tangentially related to Arrow but anyway, I'm lazy as gently caress and don't bother changing the channel after Arrow finishes so I end up watching The Tomorrow People. Holy poo poo is this a loving terrible show. It's so inconsistent with everything from writing, plot, characters, etc. Amell used to hype up the show on his Facebook when it first premiered but now he's been pretty quiet about it. The show has gotten so bad that I'd rather rewatch the entirety of Arrow's Huntress arc over this show.

Amell needs to tell his cousin (the main star) to bail out and do a guest spot on Arrow or something.

Tomorrow People suffers from constantly changing tones. They're slowly approaching a more serious Arrow-theme but stumbling over high school romance hijinks and love triangles on the way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
When thinking about it, Oliver just saddled Roy with a $20k+ hospital bill to get the arrow injury taken care of. What a dick.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
While Agents of Shield is limping along with half-hearted references to Marvel stuff and being nothing more then a generic villain of the week, Arrow is blowing opening the doors dropping major plot bombs left and right almost every single episode and being better then almost anything on television.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Arrow dropped a hint to Soloman Grundy, a villain that wikipedia refers to as a major villian to Green Lantern, Superman, and Batman

I don't know what this means for the whole movies vs. TV continuity thing, but if there's a deal where the live action TV is wholly separate from the movies and can do whatever they want I would be over the moon. Let the TV franchise(s) develop on their on and be free from the executive bullshit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Just to clarify: Solomon Grundy was originally a villain for the first, golden age Green Lantern Alan Scott, who has very little to do with the modern Green Lantern Corps featuring that guy Ryan Reynolds played.

Since then Grundy's become more of a general DCU villain that more or less every hero or team has faced at some point or another, including Green Arrow, but he's not really a "major" foe for anyone. So it's not quite the same as having, say, the Penguin or Brainiac on this show or anything.

Bringing up a big franchise villain in any situation means the Arrow writers wrote the origin story and would have to get credit for any future mentions, so unless they clearly differentiate between the movies and TV, all it does is free up the Arrow writers to do whatever the gently caress they want without any fear of reprisal.

Grundy isn't Luthor or Two-Face, but he's been attached to both major heroes at some points in the comic and that slight connection is a major potential plot point Agents of SHIELD could never do. Right now it seems like Arrow has complete free range over any DC concepts and IP since they dropped the "what's next aliens" line and continued to introduced tons of major comic elements left and right.

edit: Just as a reminder as how good this show is, during the last scene, the cinematography focused on yellow and red chemicals floating up, and the only other color off to the side was green.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 12, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

It's interesting how Roy's reaction to all the Mirakuru stuff has been to freak the gently caress out rather than going "aw hell yes superpowers," which is probably going to play a big part in Ollie's decision to take him on as an apprentice/sidekick/whatever they're calling it.

At some point later in the show he'll probably get involved in some Arrow case, get seriously wounded, and then quickly recover while Ollie watches leading to him revealing his identity and taking him in to prevent him from becoming another Slade.

I just really want to see Roy off the chain and beating the poo poo out of people with his miraku powers as a vigilante before he gets brought into the Arrow crew.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
God I cannot believe how well this show works within the DC comic universe while still being fantastic in almost all aspects. I've been hate-watching Agents of Shield for weeks now but every time I watch Arrow its like, yeah, this is how you do a comic book show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wait, so is Det. Lance dead? It looked more like one of those "fake-out" deaths they do at the end of a season when it contract negotiation time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

It feels like they're not sure yet- and could easily be a fake out.

I hope Blackthorne's back. As awkward as his accent and "aww jeez Laurel!" can be at times, he's always a load of fun to see on the screen.

If he was able to walk around mobile from internal injury trauma then it seems like they could get him into the ER and save him, especially if he's at a major center of commerce/transportation like the docks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So DC didn't want them to use Ted Kord? I wonder what their plans are, its not like they have any other TV series to launch DC characters in.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's a great option open to them that no one at DC would fight them over.

The Challengers of the Unknown

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

It should totally be Alexander Siddig. :colbert:

gently caress that, cast someone crazy old for his first role, and in the season finale have him return as a young guy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

That's surprisingly common for celebrity marriages.

I guess when the person stalking you is a celebrity you don't think about how weird it is.

David Mitchell did it. He met Victoria Coren in 2007, fell in completely in love with her, waited until she was single 3 years later and made a move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Nable's biggest role was a character in Riddick. Has anyone seen the movie? Nable has done some AUS TV shows but almost nothing else big.

• Locked thread