Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
WTF, but at least we now know that the good looks probably come from the male line. And something is wrong with me, I found that funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Poisoned arrows, to inject sedatives into the body. Has he used poisoned arrows in the past? I don't remember.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Alternate reality arrows, that summon his cousin with the crazy psychic powers.

What will be Roy Harpers shtick? Speedy? Sounds a lot like Flash, will they both be super-fast heroes? Doesn't sound too interesting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Why would you hide that face behind a beard? :confused:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

etalian posted:

Maybe they could just move over the entire cast of Spartacus to Arrow?

Maybe they could use time travel to bring all characters of Spartacus to Arrow. Go Gannicus! Go Lucretia!

Aphrodite posted:

There actually is one more coming.

Really? Who?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Aphrodite posted:

Amanda Waller is going to be played by the second Naevia.

Oh wow. Hopes crushed. Time to ruin another character!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I believe there was a theory in the old thread that goes like:

The Hood: Vigilante who is not afraid to kill, certainly not a hero.

The Arrow: More restrained vigilante, no killings but not yet a superhero.

Green Arrow: Olly embraces being a superhero.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The police in this show. FEMA trucks getting robbed of vital medical supply for the needy in the glades? Don't bother with stopping it, just secretly observe them in case the vigilante shows up. :psyduck:

Show is still great, I care for most of the characters, no matter if I hate or love them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And Felicity mainly stands out for her technical skills and character (ie. much less willing to accept collateral damage etc.), her sex appeal is not her defining feature.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I thought we already established that Michael White will appear in several episodes? It seems like a slow build up to me, to establish him at least as a regular guest star, like China White.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hcreight posted:

Amell and his wife had their first child the other day. Guess how they celebrated? :3:

Awww.

Amellsdays = best days.

His "uniform" has a mask, he just doesn't wear it. To be honest, I prefer him without mask. Makes it easier to read his face and it is a superhero show, if Superman could disguise himself successfully as Clark Kent, then Olly can work with just the make-up. But it would be cool to see him wearing the mask on occasion, when they can find good reasons for him to do so. It acting as a gas mask or something?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

KilGrey posted:

I thought they were brothers?

Look at the Amellsday video again, they clearly state that their dads were brothers, they are indeed "only" cousins.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ded posted:

It's not the lame excuses, it's the fact she has magic powers of can-do-anything. Shes Kara Thrace only shorter and better looking with computers.

Fixed that for you.

It is great how Felicity is not consumed by unrequited love for Ollie. The situation with Laurel is bad enough, we don't need Ollie-Felicity drama. And there is nothing wrong with ogling Stephen Amell, seriously. If she goes into a relationship, I hope it is with someone else. Like Diggle.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shakugan posted:

I can't be the only one who has never, does not, and will not ever care about Ollie's island adventures. It's such a drag for the rest of the show. Every time I see the start of an island scene I think "great, there goes a minute of screen time for the actual show".

You are not, I think the island plot is boring. Now that it seems as if they are finally leaving the island, perhaps I will give a poo poo. Also, I don't care for Slade. The "present time" plot is fantastic on the other hand.

And seconding people not being able to recall his face because they are blinded by his beautiful blue eyes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gaz-L posted:

I saw someone recently suggest Alexander Siddig as someone who'd be within the show's budget and also be a great Ra's. It's one of those 'of course' fantasy casting ideas, I feel.

I'm not sure I want Dr. Bashir or Hannibal in Arrow.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This show continues to be fantastic, that was one of the best episodes yet.

Apart from all the other cool things that happened this episode, I am really happy that Felicity correctly pronounced Iraq, instead of using the atrocious "eye-rack" :woop:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Some Numbers posted:

I just discovered and marathoned this show. It's fantastic and John Barrowman was an incredible, bombastic villain.

:argh:BARROWMAN:argh:

He was great. As was Tommy :(

Who is the big villain this season? Is it the guy Laurel works for, who is secretly a criminal? Is it that business woman who controls half of Queen Consolidated? Is she even evil?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh wow, that's what I get for skipping the Laurel parts. So the DA and Brother Blood are not the same people? I am bad at telling actors apart :negative:

Edit: I forgot China White and Bronze Tiger (I could remember their names! :woop:)

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 1, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

zoux posted:

Landing Manu Bennet for this show was such a casting coup, too bad he's relegated to island flashbacks (until the inevitable reappearance in Starling City which can't come soon enough).

Eh, I found him pretty boring, except for some parts of Gods of the Arena. Most of the other regular characters were much more interesting. And since I don't really care about the island plot I am not that excited about him showing up in the main story. Although, if he accidentally kills Laurel when he shows up I will welcome his appearance.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Oasx posted:

The only thing i don't like about this season is that everyone is making major life changing decisions because Tommy died. I just remember him as a minor character for most of the first season, and towards the end he was just a major douche. I really don't care that the character is gone.

Rarity posted:

How does it feel to be dead inside? :colbert:

This! You heartless monster.

I don't believe that they will get rid of Laurel just because many people hate her. And in any case, if she is the only bad character on Arrow I can live with her. She doesn't seem to do too much these days.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Warmachine posted:

Am I the only person who doesn't remember exactly what the original actress looked like? Most of the time the shot was of her sliding under the water, and she was such a minor character that I never bothered committing it to memory. I didn't really put 1 and 1 together until I started seeing posts about it. I posted before, but the biggest connection I made between the two was the picture from season 1's arc and her baseball cap in the hospital being the same. Her face? A total blur.

edit: She definitely does look older (not 40 though, jeez). I don't think she does the five year transition as well as Oliver does in the looks department. Oliver manages to look younger on the Island, no doubt thanks to the longer hair. Flashback Sara looks pretty much like she does as Black Canary.

I have absolutely no idea how the original actress looked like. I did not pay attention because she was assumed to be dead, so the recast does not bother me at all.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I don't understand? Do goons dislike DS9? I thought it was the best Star Trek series by far, am I supposed to hate it?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

How can this guy be so disgustingly perfect? I just don't understand.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Senerio posted:

Amell's new facebook cover image. I'm excited.

Um, I am terrible with facial recognition, who is that guy on the left? Will he join Arrow?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Do we know when he will become the Flash on the show? Because Roy Harper is supposed to be an archer with a robo arm, and I see nothing of the sort right now. Compared to the lightning speed the plot is moving forward each season, they are taking their time with Roy. I like it, but it makes me wonder how long it will take for the Flash to don a superhero costume. My only hope is the constant mentioning of the particle accelerator, so I guess it could go really fast (ha!) if the writers want it to.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This show is sooo good, I can hardly believe it. And I don't care what hand waving they use to explain how Merlyn lives, having him back in the show is great.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The only arc that drags on and on is Laurel sucking. I already miss her sister from the main plot, at least she is in the island parts. Give Laurel a break and let her do something cool, without wallowing in self-pity or irrational hatred of the titular hero.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

raditts posted:

What I love about this show is that it seems like they looked at the myriad other terrible superhero shows over the last decade, figured out what not to do, and optimized things for maximum entertainment. Does it look like some dumb relationship drama sideplot is going to derail the show? Surprise, rear end in a top hat, we turned that poo poo around before the cut to commercial! You say you don't care about getting bogged down with scenes from Moira's murder trial? We'll be in and out in one episode, fucker, and that includes the island flashback plot and a dude getting his chest cavity filled with arrowheads! In fact, in the time it took you to read this, that god damned trial is already over and we are on to bigger, better things! ARROW.

Are the creators different than those of The Tomorrow People? Because Amellsday is sharply divided, Arrow is great, TTP is mediocre at best.

The romantic relationships alone are worth praising. Thea and Roy have been together how long? Nearly half of all Arrow episodes at least. And the show is not spamming us with endless relationship drama. It is probably reflective of tv shows in general that the mere absence of romantic bullshit is worth praising, but I really appreciate it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eddain posted:

Agents of Shield also isn't allowed to use mutants in any way since Fox still owns those rights. It's sort of the same with Arrow how the big three (Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman) aren't allowed to be mentioned but at least DC could eventually give them permission to. I don't see Fox giving Disney permission to do anything with mutants.

I hope they never get the permission to bring Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman into the show. They can be mentioned somewhere, but I really like the absence of superpowers on Arrow.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm not sure we need Moira to die for Oliver to hate Malcolm more than he does now. On the other hand it could be more interesting if the Queen family is somewhat in his debt for bribing the jurors. And Moira being free could be the hook to bring Laurel more into the story, because she should have great motivation to search for the reason why Moira was acquitted. That could lead to her discovering who the Arrow really is.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VDay posted:

This was the only thing about the episode that I hated by the way. I can kind of understand why they wanted to have that scene to show us that hey, she really talked to someone, but it was completely ridiculous for it to happen the way it did and I think would've been better off being cut. That way there's still some mystery as to whether or not she's bluffing (which, to be fair, she still might be in a way) and we don't have this ridiculous exchange happen:

"Hey Mom, why was that mysterious man that we've never met before in our house talking to you?"
"Oh don't worry about it."

Yeah, cause it's not like you just barely dodged getting the loving death sentence for secretly conspiring with a madman. Yeah, no big deal, I'm sure you meet random strangers in your home all the time. No more lies or secrets, right? Yay Mom, so good to have you back! Oh, you also just want to randomly tell me you love me as well? Great, I love you too! Yup, nothing weird about this entire scene at all. Who wants shots?

That is so true, I was pretty put off by this exchange for exactly the reasons you listed.

Still this was an awesome episode, as I am saying nearly every time. Even better than the last episode. Barry Allen is adorable. And gently caress you Ollie, I'm 29 and people are still asking for my ID when I buy alcohol.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rhyno posted:

Katie Cassiday has no chemistry with anyone so I bet they tell her they're all going one place and then go somewhere else.

In that case they should perhaps export Laurel to the Flash spin-off.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

teagone posted:

You drat well know that if a season finale cliffhanger somehow links Arrow to the DC cinematic universe, everyone would go loving nuts. I'd be excited as hell, :gizz:ing all over the place in a perpetual state of nerdgasm-fueled euphoria. You're all liars if you say you wouldn't be excited.

I have never read a DC or Marvel comic in my life and I can honestly say that I would not be excited about such a development.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Aphrodite posted:

It's not in universe. There actually have been more earthquakes since the LHC was started.

Even so, correlation is not causation.

I am super excited for the next episode, it is hard to believe that I could be so engrossed by a tv series on the basis of a comic. Is there a break after the mid-season finale and if yes, how long?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Krad posted:

I just wanted to say that the Bronze Tiger fight was the coolest one the show has had right after Merlyn's. Proto-Grundy's was pretty sweet as well, as short as it was.

Will the Bronze Tiger be back? It seems like a waste if they don't reuse that awesome character. And on the same topic, China White has not been seen for a while either. I wonder where she will pop up next.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rocksicles posted:

Fixed for you.

Been reading another forum, where people are complaining hand over fist about Meta powers and taking this show away from the "grounded" nature of it. loving idiots.

DC show, DC characters... DC powers. Get with the drat program.

Thank jeebus for The TV IV > Arrow.

How dare these others for enjoying a grounded tv show on the basis of comics, and complaining if the show moves away from that basic premise. I'm not even sure how much superpowers we will see, so the complaints may be premature. But it is not like comic fans "own" the show, people who prefer a more down to earth approach (in comparison to outright superhero shows at least) have every right to be pissed if the show changes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

bobkatt013 posted:

2/3rd of the creators of the show are comic writers.

I reacted to someone who called fans who disagreed with the supposed move to more superpowers "idiots", it was merely a try to push back against the mentality that all non-comic reading fans of Arrow should piss off.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's a dude that got super powers from a scienced up lightning storm. Ship sailed on that one.

Since said dude may never use his super powers in a "proper" Arrow episode, no ship has sailed and we fans of a more grounded show can still have hopes that Arrow won't be ruined.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Boogaleeboo posted:

As for Arrow, how could you possibly pretend a show that has a super human bashing people around powered by a genetic formula developed by the Japanese in the 40s is, in any sense, 'grounded'?

It is like the (new) Battlestar Galactica vs. Star Trek. You have faster-than-light travel in both shows, but one of them also has transporters, replicators, energy shields and weapons, holographic technology and hypo-sprays that can cure everything. While the other has ballistic weapons and armor plates, and robots that cannot assimilate whole worlds on their own. One of the shows is much more grounded in comparison to the other.

So people injected with Miracle are much stronger and tougher than normal people, while Ollie has better reflexes and accuracy than should be normal for someone training a bit in the Jungle. That is still relatively grounded when compared to the things the Flash, Superman, Spiderman etc. can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Robotnik DDS posted:

A year and a half into Arrow and we have Solomon Grundy and The Flash which would have been ridiculous with the tone of the show at the beginning. If The Flash show is about Barry going around X-Files/CSI-ing it with interesting phenomena, I don't think it would be out of line to take the leap to episodes about aliens or actual magic or whatever. The stuff can co-exist. A show can have a different tone than the other and still be in the same "world".

If it's a choice between fidelity to the continuity of the Arrow-verse or letting the Flash do cool Flash stuff I want the latter.

But I think we both like how these producers handle a superhero story (except maybe the Green Lantern movie) so it'll probably be fine.

I did a quick reading about Grundy. At the moment Arrow has neither Grundy nor the Flash. There is a guy whose face was melted by some acids, and a guy who was hit by lightning. They have laid the groundwork, but they could just as well never use their super-powered side (using them on the Flash show), or only use toned down versions or only use them rarely in crossover episodes.

• Locked thread