Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Probably botox or Juvederm, not lipo. Everyone and their brother is getting botox at younger and younger ages, its scary. And for actors whose entire job is to be able to emote via facial expressions, it makes no sense to me to FREEZE SELECTED MUSCLES IN YOUR FACE.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I found this episode rather exposition-heavy. There were three separate 'this is my backstory' monologues in this episode alone and they were all delivered rather clunkily (Barrowman's NanDA parBAHT pronunciation, ugh. He reminded me of that old SNL skit making fun of newscasters and their NICARAGUA and the CONTRAS said in the most outlandish Spanish accent ever). Barry's 'my mom is dead' speech and the thing with Roy's friend and her dead artist friend and... I understand there was a lot of information that had to get out this episode, but show don't tell, huh? Or maybe save some of it for later episodes.

Everything just felt really rushed and not in a good way but in a 'we only have a two-part miniseries to get this guy's spinoff launched and get the audience familiar with him so here, barf out this two paragraph long backstory so we can include all the OTHER stuff we've got going on and still come in under 45m.'

The episode wasn't bad (the truck fight was awesome, Ollie shooting Roy was eye-opening, Moira's turnabout on Barrowman was amusing if a bit far-fetched, hopefully they flesh out why she has one of R'as' dudes on speeddial or knew where to find him, Ollie getting a leg full of what I presume is ketamine, the actor playing Barry was good) but I'm beginning to agree with those who have said the show tries to cram a little TOO much into each episode. Which is a good problem to have until you blow your wad and run out of material.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

God damnit. There's no way Caity's making it through this season alive then.

Its entirely possible Laurel gets inspired by something to be Black Canary, dies, and then Sara picks up the mantel afterwards. This fulfills the whole 'Laurel is Black Canary' fiat by the writers while still allowing for a more suitable actress in the role. I mean, originally it was her mom who was the Canary and the mantle was passed on (at least in one of the iterations of the character) so its not unprecedented.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

To be fair, Laurel has incredibly valid points

loving seriously. Yes she's a total bitch to Sarah, but if I were her parents I would probably not say poo poo about her taking a drink at that point in time, either, given everything she stated, which is 100% true. Remember Laurel has no idea of the six years of hell/trial by fire Sarah's gone through and honestly probably wouldn't care much ATM if she did.

'Well I paid my penance by being kidnapped by a crazy scientist and a team of cutthroat pirates, was chased around an island by them and a madman on superspeed who I ultimately had to help kill, then somehow ended up being taken in starving and near death by a crazy ecoterrorist and his crazy daughters, one of whom I had a lesbian relationship with who by the way taught me how to be an assassin and who I just attempted suicide over to get away from because I got sick of killing innocent people and they were gonna kill you all if I didn't go back to them' would probably garner a 'good' from Laurel at this juncture. Hell, I'm still surprised/disappointed she forgave/slept with Oliver, who was the instigator of all this.

quote:

OLIVER FOR GOD'S SAKE LEARN SOME SELF CONTROL

Seriously. Though I guess its as good a way as any to show that for all his character growth on the island the past 5 years and the last year+ of going from grim administrator of ultimate judgement to 'ok I guess I won't kill (mostly)' vigilante, he is one seriously hosed up dude.

hosed up, horny dude.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

I'm pretty sure he's had sex once in the past two years.

Which would preclude him being horny if it were correct how?

(He hooked up with Laurel, Huntress, and whoever River Tam is in this show, and now Sarah. That's a bit more than once in two years).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

It's not like they just decided to hook up out of the blue, there was a whole shitload of emotional tension there and I don't see why Ollie is apparently suddenly back to his playboy days just because of it.
I'm not suggesting he's back to his playboy days, I'm suggesting the last thing either of them need at this point in their lives is a complicated physical relationship, yet here we are. Again. And his track record in the romance department is not what you'd call stellar (see: Huntress aka more insane with grief/desire for revenge than even me, Isabel 'amoral, hostile business rival' Rochev (hey, she has a name!)).

I mean even he basically admitted to Felicity the reason they were never going to hook up was because she was a nice normal girl with a chance for a nice, normal life and he just... wasn't and didn't want to drag her into his drama or whatever. Which while noble when it comes to Felicity makes you kind of wonder what he thinks about Sarah.

When your criteria for a sexual partner is 'at least as hosed up as I know I am' things are probably not going to go well.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Eddain posted:

So Felicity just needs to go a bit psycho in order for Oliver to sleep with her?
More like she needs to lose a parent/find out Malcolm Merlyn is her dad too/get kidnapped and tortured for a few years and become a grim servant of death/justice/vengenace.

Wait, that's for an actual relationship. Sure, have Felicity inadvertently get exposed to some drug and become Psycholicity and she'd at least get a booty call. But only if she forgot it happened when she woke up or was forever scarred by the experience or something.

Or she could actually enter into a relationship with Barry. That would get Oliver's motor running.

Cityinthesesa posted:

I honestly don't know why people think it's going to be a relationship as such, it seemed more like a friends with benefits thing.
Hahha no, did you his face when Sarah was with Nyssa? He's got it bad for her, in his inimitable 'so lonely noone understands me but people who are at least as broken as I am' way.

narcissus1916 posted:

I don't know, guys. I didn't love tonight's episode. I'm not sure why Nyssa didn't entirely convince me - I liked the performance and the surprisingly nuanced handling of Sara's sexuality.

But every now and then, the show reminds me of just how balls-out goofy it can be.
Gotta agree with this. I was eye-rolling a bit at the whole 'generic League of Assassins member swigs vial of poison, dies instantly, Sarah swigs identical vial of poison, manages to stagger around for five minutes spouting dialogue' thing.

VagueRant posted:

She had me at the salmon ladder
Gotta admit I was loving impressed with that. You know Caity Lotz was watching the scene being filmed last episode and was like 'let me try that' and they did and when she could do it immediately went 'oh we GOTTA get this in an episode like YESTERDAY.'

I feel bad for Laurel's actress. I mean how do you compete with that?

King Burgundy posted:

I completely disagree with you on this point. I don't think her hooking up with Oliver was presented as the Good to her previous relationships Bad at all. Mind you, I'm not saying there weren't things that could be interpreted that way, I'm just saying, I believe you are interpreting things in this case in the most negative possible way. I know this is your thing, and I won't be able to sway you on this, so just voicing my dissent and then letting it be.
I agree with this. My thought when she hooked up with Oliver wasn't 'yay! Salmon ladder babies!' it was 'oh Jesus Christ, dude, don't you have ENOUGH drama in your life right now?'

Avulsion posted:

Sara's relationship with Nyssa is pretty similar to her relationship with Ivo. Person with questionable ethics rescues her from certain death, "protects" her and forces her to do increasingly evil things until something forces her to face the truth about what she's doing.
Sarah's just as hosed up when it comes to relationships as Oliver. They are a match made in dysfunctional relationship heaven. Kind of makes Oliver's anger at his mom ring hollow when his own selfish acts wrt to his fiance and her sister put so much grief in motion. Granted there was no baby that came out of it but that's probably due more to luck than anything else.

Rarity posted:

But seriously, for fucks sake Felicity. Wait 10 minutes and then tell him. Jesus.

But then we wouldn't have had that awesome speech full of poorly-disguised loathing and double entendres!

But yes, she really could have kept it to herself, except Felicity sucks at the lying, especially to Oliver who can read her like a book. She also has that annoying kind of morality that dictates she do poo poo like this, which is nice when it keeps the Arrow team on the straight and narrow but not so good when it comes to stuff like this.

Captain capslock posted:

I am still waiting for her (Isobel, aka River Tam) to actually do something this season.
You and me both. I mean you think Laurel is underutilized... I think her subplot just got dropped because of time.

Dexo posted:

Her pouring that drink while laying all of that out was easily the best scene from that episode. And probably one of my favorite in the series.
Gotta agree with this. Someone doesn't need to add any bitters to her mixed drinks, drat. Laurel's been annoying in the past but she pretty much hit it dead on.

I'm equally dreading and anticipating her finding out Oliver's hooked up with Sara again. Though at this point I will find it very, very hard to stomach if Sara dies and Laurel takes on the Canary role and reenters a relationship with Oliver AGAIN. I mean it was bad enough the first season when he came back and hosed up Tommy's relationship with her.

Looking at his history, Oliver is just a relationship hand grenade.

According to this episode, he's slept with 'ten girls that we know of' before he two-times Laurel with Sarah, hooks up with the only other chick on the island he's trapped on who his only other friend is in love with and then inadvertently gets her shot in the head and killed, comes back and fucks up his self-professed best friend's relationship with the girl he screwed over with her sister, hooks up with an unrepentant murderer so vicious and unforgiving it makes even mister 'you have FAILED THIS CITY' take a step back and go 'whoa, hold the phone,' hooks up with a chick he actively dislikes who is trying to take his company away from him when he's actually got more important things to do because... I'm still not entirely sure why this happened. Was it sweeps week? To maintain his worthless playboy cover? And now he's BACK with the chick whose sister he two-timed. All the while harboring feelings towards his loyal nice-girl assistant and getting jealous of her interest in a genuinely nice guy that she actually has a lot in common with but shutting her down the instant she so much as suggests anything between the two of them.

Cityinthesea posted:

Also, to be honest, people Ollie have sex with always get poo poo on one way or the other. Huntress, Laurel, that lady detective...
Oh god, I missed one? Who was the lady detective?

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 6, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah Ollie being mad someone cheated on someone else is laughable on its face. Not that it doesn't have a little bit to do with it, everyone's a hypocrite at some level. Ollie just turns it to 11 sometimes.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Shado has some pretty interesting mythology in the comics, particularly in the current comics run and killing her off before setting all that up is a really frustrating way to dismiss what could've been a really fascinating with great backstory who could've opened up the scope of the setting even further to include more east asian mystical kung fu action.
When has anyone on this show ever stayed dead? Seriously every single person that's died minus I think Shado and Tommy has come back (oh and Oliver's dad). Tommy and Oliver's dad make sense to stay dead, but Ollie came back, Slade came back, Sara came back, Malcolm Merlyn came back, Roy technically came back...

I would not be surprised to see Shado again. Did we ever see them bury her? Maybe she has a sister...

quote:

Ollie is gonna end up with the worst step-dad ever
Slade is totally going to bang Ollie's mom. His hands were all over her and she wasn't arguing. Hell he may hook up with Laurel too.

quote:

One thing that I think helped to explain Slade's mindset is when they revealed that he was never planning to destroy the Mirakuru, Ollie and Sarah burned a box of dirt. He hasn't been the same since the injection, and I think in that reveal you can see that he's had his own plan in mind for a while
Also this was an interesting twist. Why did Slade keep the mirakuru? It wasn't grief over Shado that's for sure. Bargaining chip with Ivo makes sense except he's already got the ship and Ivo now. Maybe Slade thinks it can bring Shado back?

quote:

You know, you did have a wife and kid before the island, Slade.
Yeah, odds on Slade being Felicity's dad? Felicity gonna be ROSE?? Or is Jericho going to show up? Or will they play fast and loose and bring in Captain Boomerang as his kid?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

How about a real set-back for Slade, or getting his rear end kicked under hard to replicate circumstances for once? Villains that never lose are just as boring as heroes that never lose.
What, losing his eye and presumably being killed and disappeared for five years wasn't enough for you? He's lost, several times. It juts so happens his losses were offscreen/in the past/not yet revealed in the flashbacks yet.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

This episode was really uneven.

The stupid:
- Why would anyone invent a machine that transfuses blood from one person to 20? That just makes no drat scientific sense, it'd kill the one person and not do anything for the 20.

- Does noone know how to close a goddamn lockable door behind them? When those two soon to be Flash supporting characters were running from Slade she left not one, but two doors open behind her. And its not like there was no time, either, she was just standing at the first one and the second Slade had been knocked down. Try and slow him down at least a little, huh, super brainy scientist chick?

- Also, when I first saw the hispanic kid at Star Labs I was like woo! Jaime Reyes! And then...

quote:

can I assume the latino Star Labs guy who used the sound gun on Slade and said "Does this guy give you a bad vibe?" is going to be the Latino sound powered hero Vibe?
Vibe?! gently caress, please no. He is never going to be cool, DC, stop shoving his 90s throwback rear end down our throats.

- Why was Laurel at Star Labs, again? Also her amazing threat to quit her job and sue the city unless they released her dad and dropped the charges. At least boss lady threatened her that it wasn't always going to be this easy, because yeah, that was too easy.

- River Tam's woman scorned backstory. Apparently all the Queen men are incapable of keeping it in their pants and the only reason a beautiful young woman becomes a martial arts badass/CEO before 30 is because she's pissed her sugar daddy - sorry, SOUL MATE - wouldn't leave his family for her.

- Ollie shooting the power panel instead of the machine itself once he decided he wasn't going to believe the bad guy when he said stopping his master plan would kill his friend. Also Ollie not unhooking any of the bad guys from the super bad guy making machine. I mean if it'll kill Roy to stop the process won't it kill them too? Its not got the best track record in the world...

- ...or not. All escaped convicts just so happened to survive the mirakuru transfusion process when it was dropping people like flies previously.

The predictable:

Hearing that Ollie's master plan is to let Slade drain himself with said McGuffin transfusion machine then attack him when he's weak immediately made me say 'and Slade of course knows this so who else would he go grab that is local and has mirakuru in his system currently HRM WHO EVER COULD HE FIND.' Yet it was supposed to be a big reveal when hey, its Roy.

The cool:

- The fight in the Arrow Cave. Escrima sticks!

- Diggle shooting River Tam. Yay Diggle had something to do!

- River Tam coming back (as the Ravager). Summer Glau really is too good to waste in the bit role she's had this season.

- Bludhaven mention!

- Ollie shooting Ivo right in the middle of his deathbed confession. Hah.

- Ollie telling Sarah he didn't let her kill him because killing changes you and he didn't want her to have to go through that. Irony, thy name is Queen.

- Ollie telling everyone he had a chance to cure Slade but chose to kill him instead. Man, when you gently caress up, you really gently caress up, Queen.

- Laurel deciding not to throw it in Oliver's face that she knows, or tell her dad. Oliver really needed that hug though I was amused at the 'oh poo poo is she coming onto me' confused, slightly suspicious expression on his face.

All told, this was the weakest episode in awhile, saved by the action scenes.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I miss snarky, alcoholic 'truth hurts, here have a double barrel unvarnished helping of it' Laurel. :( She was with us for such a short time...

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

But defended by aforementioned brainy scientist chick who insisted it was pre-patent and a big secret.

Of course she doesn't know how to close a secured door to stop a murdering costumed psychopath so maybe she isn't all that bright.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Drunk mean girl Laurel forever!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jesus, that last scene was really well acted. It could have been terrible but Susanna Thompson and Willa Holland sold the hell out of that. When Moira told Thea not to look my gut twisted. For a second I thought Slade was going to walk away and him using the katana instead of the gun felt off, since he was going for the whole mirror of what he thinks happened on the island.

Then I realized he was showing her respect and acknowledging her as a person instead of as just a Sarah/Shado analogue in his gently caress with Olliempics because of her choice.

Was Ollie supposed to have fainted/passed out at the end there?

(Also wigs: still terrible. Moira looked like Sarah for a second there).

I think Ollie was supposed to be a freshman in college in the flashback, they were all acting really young (trig is high school math, right? Do they even have trig classes in college?)

Oracle fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 24, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

I think after Slade stabbed Moira, Ollie just went into shock.
Yeah, I figured it had to be something like that, but I couldn't see if his eyes were open and Thea was just sitting there sobbing over their mom and he was so completely still I wondered if he was supposed to be unconscious.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think he gave it to him, I think he left it on his desk, got called away to snap someone's neck or distracted by a ghost-Shado striptease or whatever and dude just up and walked out with it. Slade just told him who runs Bartertown and the guy didn't do poo poo but puff a little, he figured he's cowed and Slade needs to go enjoy his amok.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They want Barrowman. Barrowman's in the city. Sara promises them Barrowman if they help Ollie, but also promises to go back to them, then dies so can't fulfill her end of the bargain.

So they take Thea instead :stare:

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 8, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Why is the Flash wearing lipstick.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

That was mostly awesome. Its kind of sad in the most amazing way that Barrowman is the best father figure on this show to date. Faithful to his wife, loyal to his kids, accepts them for who they are...

They were trying way too hard with the handoff of the jacket to Laurel from Sarah. 'It fits!' 'Don't go getting any ideas.' Bleh.

Why do people think Rochov's dead? He was on the sub and blew up the Amazo. He should be fine and on his way to Mother Russia.

Three deaths were Slade (island), Isabel, and possibly Lance at the end there. I can't think of any other named character deaths in this episode (the 'old' Thea I guess if you want to go copout).

Comedy option: death of the Olicity ship :mmmsmug:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Huge Spacekablooie posted:

I am in fact in the market for ex-Billionaires with superior archery skills.
Oh god are you Barrowman? Ollie's going to go to work for Thea who will be the front for Barrowman. Her way of paying him back for all the lies.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Rochev is not the Russian, it's Summer Glau's character. The Russian's name is Anatoli.
Bah, like anyone can remember her character's name. I thought I was doing good with Isabel.

quote:

How do you not realize you have severe internal injuries for like 2 hours anyways?
Its possible he had his zyphoid process broken off and it finally lacerated his liver or something. Walking wounded is a thing.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Nah, he straight up said in last night's episode that it wasn't the mirakuru that made him hate Oliver.
This is probably true. He hated Oliver because Shado chose him over Slade and Slade was in love with her. He just was able to keep that jealousy in check until Oliver 'killed' her/let her die/whatever and Slade got the bug juice. Now he's had five years of Shado herself telling him how much he should hate Ollie for what he did to her/them.

And honestly, you'd hate Oliver too in the same situation. Spoiled little useless rich boy who has a history of cheating on every girl he's ever claimed to have loved (including with two SISTERS) and the woman you love falls for him too? I mean you can see that train wreck coming from a mile away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sober posted:

I still loving love the scene where Slade loving walks in to Laurel's apartment to tell her Oliver is the Arrow and then walks away with the swagger of a thousand suns. I don't know if anyone besides :argh: BARROWMAN :argh: will ever match him.
Slade gonna meet Barrowman in season 4, and it will be glorious. Production costs will go through the roof as all the sets get chewed to bits. Bank it.

• Locked thread