Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

packsmack posted:

It's been a while since I've seen either. But when babes walking onto the field and talking to the crowd they actually are in a stadium and shooting there. When he blows it up there it is way cgi.

In arrow, if I recall, the whole shot looking out over the city was fairly quick and completely cgi. Not to say it wasn't awesome. It really didnt look that great. A film can go to more locations and give a global feel when shooting. A tv show gives more of an all encompassing feel through storytelling.

tl;dr: tv has a bigger time budget. Movies have a bigger effects/location budget.

Edit: looking back I'm kinda agreeing with you. I do think overall the effects were way better in the dark knight for obvious reasons. At least this is better than chili chat.

Why do you think tv has a bigger time budget? Movie post production can take months, usually with TV you get two weeks max. That's the biggest difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

zoux posted:

It would be a huge stretch but also you don't go from party boy to ultimate badass in five years no matter what.

What? Five years is plenty of time, especially considering the heavy training he did. Navy Seal training is 1.5 years from boot to team and another year before deployment. So basically Ollie had twice as long to train and in even harder conditions than a member of the most elite force in the world.*

*ymmv

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

zoux posted:

Ok let's both train with a bow for five years and then we'll show down IRL.

Okay but only if we do it William Tell style.

Bring your own apple. :commissar:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It's not an RPG. It doesn't work off an experience system. He hasn't learned the way he fights now in the present from Slade or Shado.

IRL we call the "RPG experience system", "practice"... and it's how people learn to do things and more you do it the better you become.

quote:

The point the guy was making was just that 5 years is an unrealistic, comic book amount of time to train to become a superhero, and Ollie doesn't even have 5 years worth. It's dumb to want to apply the same rules to the other characters as you ignore for Ollie. It's a comic book show. A couple episodes back some chemicals and lightning gave a guy super speed. People are going to train fast.

And as pointed out by someone (oh it was me!) 5 years is plenty of time to learn how to be a "badass". If special force units can be trained in a couple years, 5 (or even 4) is long enough for someone in a survival situation to learn how to fight.

How long do you think it takes for someone to be a competent fighter?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Never really cared for John Stewart in JLU, he's easily the least imaginative Green Lantern ever.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Least imginative then Hal "giant fist" Jordon?

Yep, Stewart wouldn't even use a fist. Need to hit something... long Green Beam. Need to shoot something, short Green Beams. Need to hold someone, Green Ball. It's just so bland.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

greatn posted:

That was only really a problem in the first season, which they fixed after hearing feedback.

I watched the whole thing, he really doesn't expand his repertoire.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Ravane posted:

I've never actually read comic books but thanks for the info. If Harley Quinn appears in the green arrow universe, do deathstroke, slade wilson, and deadshot, etc appear in the Batman comics?

FYI Deathstroke = Slade Wilson.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

^^^: Let it go. It's not that big a deal.

Solomon Grundy is a DC villain. His name was referenced in the poem from the second Barry episode. Around here, we use the name to refer to Cyrus Gold, the Mirakuru guy that Oliver tangled with in the Barry mini-arc.

Cryus Gold, born on a Monday...

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Your Personal Muse posted:

Just binge watched the show, and I have a question that relates to the comics:

Who is supposed to be green arrow's joker? Does he have an iconic nemesis that is *his*?

Merlyn

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I think it would be neat to setup the Vigilante cop as Lock-Up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock-Up_%28comics%29

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Xealot posted:

It's definitely the second stupidest dramatic wrinkle of the season, forcing a roided-out teenager who's barely holding it together to step away from the one humanizing force in his life.

The first is Slade's belief that Ollie was complicit in Shado's murder. Ollie offered himself up instead of Shado *or* Sara; the only reason for any character to believe otherwise is narrative contrivance.

That does piss me off every time it's brought up. Though I guess it's like Harvey getting upset at Gordon when the Joker/Gangsters kidnapped and tied him and Rachel up in Dark Knight.... just something to move the plot and make a villain.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I'm loving were this thread is going.

"Can't wait to get a meaty part like Stephen Amell has, I can almost taste it!"

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

BarbarousBertha posted:

They made Wonder Woman into a Lonely Single Career Gal complete with a scene of Wonder Woman crying into her ice cream (and cat) while watching a rom-com and checking out the possibilities of online dating.

That pilot got the abortion it deserved.

Crying. Cat. Ice cream. Online dating. (In other words, you're right.)

And it was also part of her "secert identity" out of three identities. 1) Wonder Woman, famous crime fighter who beats up people in hospitals while cops wait outside 2) Diana Themyscira - CEO of some big corporation, lives in a penthouse suite 3) Diane Prince, crying-single girl with a different name she uses to "esape" into her ice cream and suburban life.

The whole thing was just :wtf:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I hope we find out where Sarah got the Canary scream device this season.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Pigbog posted:

Does it matter? She got it from the league probably.

Well we've never seen members of the league use it. And it's a little high tech for their ninja like ways.

I'm guessing she got it somewhere else and I'd be interested to see where.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I'm kind okay with Arrow staying more Dark Knight-ish realist. Let Flash take the more zany power stuff, with the occasional crossovers. Arrow just gets out powered too easily that they have to rely on "antidote arrows" or other contraptions to level the field. Distracts from the street level raw action.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

zoux posted:

Once we're in the realm of hacker arrows is anything really any too far fetched.

*Shoots Roy in the leg, arrow starts beeping* "Um, was that an explosive arr...*BOOM*... well shi..."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Barrowman also said he's getting a new kit too. Costumes for EVERYONE!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Ville Valo posted:

Who is it, then?

Spoilers, duh!
http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/30810/20140729/arrow-season-3-ras-al-ghul.htm

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

zoux posted:

Uhm, this isn't true.

ah I see my bad.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

greatn posted:

So I end up a popular guy Friday to some femme fatale, popular enough my character is never killed and gets his own series? Can live with that.

It's all a whimsical journey until you find yourself sucking clown cock.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

dreffen posted:

He wasn't too bad in Riddick.

He wasn't. I'd be interested to see his take on Ras. Seems like they will make it a more physical role with a choice like him.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

imperialparadox posted:

I feel like that's a mistake, especially when undoubtedly the TV versions will turn out to be the best versions. Seriously, it's like DC is saying "hey, these TV shows are doing well and are awesome, so let's make some movies but strip out the actors and stories that made the TV versions cool."

The Suicide Squad animated film was pretty great. It's success is probably why the live action film was green lit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I thought the general feeling was that Laurel the actress was fine, but Laurel the character wasn't very well fleshed out and kinda boring (unless someone breaks into her home and she goes all hobo-with-a-shotgun on them!). She's really there only to move a slow moving plot from point A to point B.

• Locked thread