Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
There are definitely better actors in the world, but as a showman Barrowman is peerless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think that you have to accept that, as gritty and realistic this show tries to be, it's still a comic book show. It's gotta make some concessions to badass action and larger-than-life heroics.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

Usually "no kill" superhero rules irritate me because it just seems like a dumb way to keep things kid friendly versus the actual practicality of letting essentially weapons of mass destruction live on.

That was one of the only things I liked about the Daredevil movie, the fact that part of Matt Murdoch's character arc consisted of him realizing he was, in fact, a serial killer and no better than the people he was fighting against.

It wasn't done as well as Arrow is doing it, of course, but I appreciated the effort.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Also Thea is Speedy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Error 404 posted:

Good looking dudes can still be good looking with a beard? :confused:

Some good looking dudes look even better with a beard. Chris Hemsworth, for example.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

It looks like his upgraded costume has a proper face mask though - Felicity seems to have drawn inspiration from Malcolm's costume.

No, I'm pretty sure that was just the mannequin the costume was displayed on.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Drifter posted:

I don't understand what you're saying. I've never noticed any large mole on Oliver's mom.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but Susanna Thompson (Moira) has a mole right on the left side of her top lip and now you'll never not see it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

raditts posted:

They had a scene first season where someone suggested the name "Green Arrow" and Oliver said it sounded lame.

It was Merlyn Sr. suggesting it to Ollie without knowing he was the vigilante.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

They didn't even name him in this one, it can't be his only appearance.

Yeah, I had to look it up to find out his character even had a name that wasn't "Wolverine Ripoff".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
God, I really want Arrow to be the cornerstone of the DC shared universe like Iron Man was for Marvel.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bbf2 posted:

I don't want this show tainted by making it set in the same universe as Man of Steel.

I thought Man of Steel was pretty awesome. :shrug:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And, to be fair, everyone's got a big ol' boner for Stephen Amell. Hell, he's well on his way to replacing Jensen Ackles as my dudecrush.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's starting to look like DC is going to own television while Marvel rules cinema. I wonder if that says anything about the respective companies.

Either way, I'm pretty okay with that arrangement.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Is that even a serious question? Pretty much any character Summer Glau has ever played could kick River Song's rear end.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

No body no death

Yes body...maybe death...but probably not

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think you mean Captain Boomerang. Played by another Spartacus actor.

Oenomaus!!! :D

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Weather Wizard played by John Hannah!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
This is an awesome show starring awesome people. Between Barrowman's impromptu musical and now an honest-to-god break dancer in the cast the set of Arrow must be the most weirdly fantastic place to work.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

I don't understand? Do goons dislike DS9? I thought it was the best Star Trek series by far, am I supposed to hate it?

I think it has more to do with implying that an episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine is somehow the be-all-and-end-all of any given sci-fi or fantasy concept.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Deakul posted:

New Sarah has a weird thing with her mouth and it's bugging me, other than that I like her.

She has a kind of Renee Zellweger "My lips are always pursed, like I just tasted a lemon" thing going.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'll be seriously disappointed if Summer Glau doesn't end up being the child of Ghul.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rarity posted:

Isobel Ruchev is a separate DC character, so it's unlikely but still possible I guess.

They've already shown they're willing to play fast and loose with established character backstories. That's one of the things I love about this show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Huntress was just a trial run for Canary. Now the writers have gotten the kinks out.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You guys are going to eat your words when Stephen Amell posts a video of Caity Lotz getting served by Katie Cassidy's sick dance moves next week.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

They will then get all served by Manu Bennett

Yes, but not by dancing. By screaming and punching and leaping through the air in slow-motion.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Laurel's a good character and a bunch of this complaining comes off as kids who make gross-out noises when characters kiss in a movie.

Not really. She's just a weird, square peg in a round hole. The writers don't seem to have any idea what to do with her until she takes over as Black Canary, so she ends up just wasting time, getting stuck with a lot of melodramatic side-plots that don't really have much to do with anything else, stick out like a sore thumb, and slow down the otherwise breakneck pace of the show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Spergatory posted:

Plenty of time for the CW's Ab Department to transform him into a demigod. :flashfact:

They're gonna lock him in a room with Manu Bennett over one weekend. He will become a god...if he survives.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The only real test for someone who wants to play Nightwing: can they rock a righteous mullet?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Azhais posted:

die fledermaus

No, copyright issues mean he has to be called Bat Manuel.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BreakAtmo posted:

I swear to god, if Season 2 ends with a surprise early Batfleck appearance I will lose my poo poo (in the good way).

I don't think they'd shoot their bat-load that early before Batman vs. Superman comes out, especially on a television show. I think the best we could hope for is maybe a mention or, at best, a silhouette.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

I meant like none of the actors are also in Hunger Games or anything.

Katie Cassidy has some higher-profile recognition from stuff like Supernatural and the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember in the Young Justic Cartoon Wally had to actually eat a lot to maintain being able to run, like his suit had a little arm compartment which had high energy food to eat when he was getting tired.

Whenever Wally was in the Watchtower cafeteria in Justice League they showed him with a mountain of food on his tray. Also, I seem to remember him asking "Are you going to finish that?" a few times.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I hope this show goes absolutely balls-to-the-wall crazy with the superpowers and crazy poo poo but does it so gradually that we don't even notice until seven or eight seasons from now when we suddenly ask ourselves, "Wait a second, how did we get from gritty realism to loving Martian shape-shifters and talking gorillas?!?"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Where's Peter Mensah, already?!? :colbert:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
To be fair, on paper there's no way this show or Hannibal should work. And yet...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The joke is on all of you. Turns out Sara is Deathstroke, too. Also Nightwing. And Grundy. And Flash.

By the end of season 3 every character is Sara Lance.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
:colbert: Orphan Green. :colbert:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think that's because a Queen Consolidated facility got robbed.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, hey, a Blue Beetle shout out this episode. That's not the first one for the show, either, is it?

Spoilered for comics-related name-dropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I wouldn't mind either way, as long as they retain Arrow's fearlessness about actually using characters and tinkering with their backstories. So far the thing that annoys me about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is that it seems so terrified of stepping on anyone else's shoes that nothing really seems to happen.

• Locked thread