Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Usually "no kill" superhero rules irritate me because it just seems like a dumb way to keep things kid friendly versus the actual practicality of letting essentially weapons of mass destruction live on. However, this was an extremely organic and plausible way to turn Ollie into a no kill superhero, and it proves that the writers know how to use the long form to develop characters naturally. Nicely done Arrow.

Also, show owns, Ollie owns, Diggle owns, Slade owns, Felicity owns, it all owns. Even the Thea subplot was decent and the way they are moving Roy towards Speedy/Arsenal is believable.

How were the ratings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hi liter posted:

Didn't this threaders ct mostly negatively to this shows Huntress? I personally didn't mind it, but does the potential for a birds of prey make up for that?

Maybe it was just the writing.

Most of the not-here reviews I read here were fine with the Huntress episodes. I didn't have a problem with them.

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's sort of like how Gotham always had a crime problem, but the second Batman shows up it has a super-crime problem. It's basically straight text stated in universe that all these crazy people come out of the woodwork and do their crazy rear end poo poo entirely because he exists as a symbol. She feels the same way about the Hood. Sure you had a ton of muggings and assaults before the Hood, but you didn't have guys in loving costumes shooting arrows at each other and setting off earthquake machines. That really only seems to start happening when he enters the picture. And it's unfair to a certain degree because Merlyn was always planning what he was planning and it would have happened either way, but to someone deep in grief it can certainly seem like things escalated into insanity after he showed up. And the copy-cats really wouldn't have existed without him.

So to her, no Hood no wacky super-crime, no earthquake machine, and Tommy doesn't die saving her from the aftereffects.

There's a great B:TAS episode where Batman gets put on trial by the Arkham inmates who try to prove that he is actually the catalyst for all the super-crime in Gotham.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Michael Jai White :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What looks cool on the page doesn't necessarily translate to the screen.

Also domino masks are dumb as hell!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They better not cover up Steven Amell's beautiful face with some grody beard :mad:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New Leaf posted:

If you missed Season 1, you REALLY need to go back and watch it. It is absolutely fantastic.

Yeah it just went up on Netflix streaming.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kate Beaton drew a Black Canary comic that has nothing to do with the show but it's cute anyway.
http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=351

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a clear pic of Black Canary:
http://i.imgur.com/i0oJHlE.jpg
Pretty clearly not Kate Cassidy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's just called Arrow because I guess they think it sounds cooler than Green Arrow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VDay posted:

I tried looking something up on it and couldn't find it, so yeah I guess I just totally made up the idea that the show wasn't called Green Arrow because of some bizarre legal conflict. Weird.

In other news, it's pretty funny to go back and read blog posts/reports around the time the pilot was announced and see how apprehensive most people were before the show started, and how corny some of the setup sounded.

Post Traumatic Smallville Disorder.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I imagine he'll be back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bronze Tiger.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would be shocked if we ever see Ra's in the show. But if it gets popular enough I suppose anything is possible.

When Slade and Ollie were looking at the ship through the binoculars, I noticed a large red pagoda-ish building. Have we seen that before?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does anyone have a gif of Ollie jumping down after he shot the Dollmaker in the climax scene? It was a really good jump-to-crouch entrance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Merlinicus posted:

I was working on the assumption that the red building was on a different island in the chain of islands they're stranded on, but I have no basis for that conclusion.

It totally could be nothing, I was just wondering if we'd seen it before, or if it was some reference. This show is so chock full of references to DC I guess I start wondering if completely extraneous stuff means anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thanks. That's a good entrance. Extra props for not doing the three point landing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It seems to be her entrance to the clock tower too.

Faster than a ladder, I suppose. Must be hard to climb up though.

Nah.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Synopses for the next three episodes after tonight's:

“ARROW” — “League of Assassins” (8:00-9:00pm)
THE CANARY SINGS — While Oliver (Stephen Amell) tends to the Canary’s (Caity Lotz) wounds, he tries to get her to talk about where she came from but she refuses. However, after Oliver and the Canary are attacked at the Queen mansion by a trained killer from the League of Assassins, she confesses to having a connection to the nefarious group.

“ARROW” — “Keep Your Enemies Closer” (8:00-9:00pm)
DIGGLE GOES AFTER DEADSHOT — Amanda Waller (guest star Cynthia Addai-Robinson) sends A.R.G.U.S. agents to kidnap Diggle (David Ramsey). Waller informs Diggle that Lyla (guest star Audrey Marie Anderson) has gone missing after following a lead on Deadshot (guest star Michael Rowe) in Moscow.

“ARROW” — “State V Queen” (8:00-9:00pm)
MOIRA FIGHTS FOR HER LIFE; THE COUNT RETURNS — Oliver (Stephen Amell) is concerned when a mysterious illness sweeps the city, infecting hundreds of people, including Diggle (David Ramsey). Oliver discovers Vertigo in Diggle’s blood and realizes The Count (guest star Seth Gabel) has broken out of prison and is once again distributing his drug.

Mega-spoilers natch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's SEVEN seasons and a movie, Steven LAMEll.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Black Canary hangs out in a clock tower, and I seem to recall that the Birds of Prey WB show had a clocktower HQ as well. Is that just an established thing or a coincidence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

It's a one of those iconic thingies. The Birds of Prey -- specifically, Barbara Gordon ie Oracle -- operated mainly from her clocktower where she directed her various agents.

That's what I thought. Once again this show proves it is expert at giving comics fans nice tidbits without alienating non-comics fans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hi liter posted:

I know people here have been pretty excited about the Canary stuff, and I wanted to point out that it seems like Caity Lotz has much better chemistry with Amell than Katie Cassidy.

Or maybe its just the kick rear end action sequences.

Yeah I thought she did a real good job. Also freckles :swoon: I don't really mind that the "she survived the boat :o " is an obvious retcon, because I think they need to do more to tie the island stuff into the main plot stuff. Also, I can start to see how they are going to answer the "Why is ollie a capo in the Russian mafia" question.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah, the weapon switch in the middle of their fight was awesome. I also like rather than going with the conceit of "the hero begrudgingly teams up with the new kid on the scene", Ollie's just like "let's see what you got son".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The scary pirate captain asked Ollie if he noticed if the skeletons he found were malformed in some way, I wonder if that is somehow related to the serum that Bro Blood is using?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It depends on insurance. Often even if an actor has the training, insurance doesn't allow them to do their own fight scenes on TV.

Do the actors already do their own stunts and fights? If they do then she probably can.

Amell said in that FB Q&A that he does all the stunts they let him do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

etalian posted:

At least Manu Bennet has lots of experience in training future champions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQT4yvkNR_U

Landing Manu Bennet for this show was such a casting coup, too bad he's relegated to island flashbacks (until the inevitable reappearance in Starling City which can't come soon enough).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The only person who can at least partially keep up is Diggle and he's a trained ex-soldier. Also Malcolm Merlyn wasn't some weekend warrior they specifically said he too was gone for a couple of years training. The show has been pretty big on the idea that these skills aren't lightly picked up.

I wonder if he was also a LoA member? He received his training in China right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Azhais posted:

His outfit looked a lot like the LoA footsoldier we saw this season already, so that seems reasonale

Yeah for a second I thought it was The Return of Merlyn.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The CW has announced another DC comic show in development, this time its Hourman but instead of the regular comic book version of the character (Rex Tyler, a chemist who creates Miraclo which is a drug that gives him superpowers for exactly one hour) they're giving him the ability to see one hour into the future.

Kind of an odd choice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The third Hourman had a similar power to this in addition to the drug enhanced strength and stamina so it's not really that odd.

I mean picking Hourman as opposed to which version of his powers they use.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

qbert posted:

Don't forget Summer Glau was a professional ballet dancer.

I wonder how often one Gets Served on that set.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

The show has no obligation to stick to the comics like that. Hell, has the name "Dinah" even been mentioned on the show?

It's Laurel's middle name.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Caity Lotz doing Parkour, Martial Arts and Break Dancing....

:jizz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACP7Gl8WkPk

http://vimeo.com/42151906 This is her Parkour-only reel.

I know we're all but holding the wake for Sarah Lance, but I hope that the producers realize just what an asset Caity Lotz is as an actress and how her character is an instant fan favorite and expand her role and promote her to regular next season. Seriously the internet is bonkers in love with her.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cityinthesea posted:

That's the brother from Vampire Diaries, right? I could see him as Nightwing.

Aww gently caress I just realized you are right. Better than the brother from Revenge I guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That is not Ian Somerhalder (however you spell his name).

No Nina Dobrev's brother. Though Ian Somerhalder should be contractually obligated to appear in all CW shows.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Warmachine posted:

This is one of the problems with being new to the TVIV and TV in general; I have no clue what peoples' beefs are with Pretty Boy #587. I lack the knowledge of their history to know who to hate in the casting phase. :(

Well he had terrible emo bullshit storylines on TVD and always had a stupid look on his face and was looking through his hair and his head looks like a baby head on a big buff body.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's completely possible that they are going to separate DC movie and DC TV continuities. I mean, they've already had a show about the most famous DC guy, so it's not like it's unprecedented.

I'm eagerly awaiting the first reference to that guy flying around Metropolis.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deakul posted:

I reserve judgement on AoS until the season is over.

AoS? Are you spoiling another anime?!?!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Arrow is probably the best comic book TV show of all time. I mean, not a high bar, but it's miles ahead of 90's Flash or Mutant X or Smallville or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh and to preempt all your quibbles over irl physics regarding F= MA and friction and so on the answer is "Speed Force".

• Locked thread