Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The Free games thread turned me on to this gem:

https://jjohnstongames.itch.io/the-roottrees-are-dead

Free browser game where you're a PI rebuilding a family tree in the 1990s with lovely Internet. It's actually really drat great and uses the format in some really clever ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Question for Jake what was the development time on Sam and Max season 1? I assume based on the time from Purcell pitching the game “mid-2005” to its launch October 2006 it was a year and some change but was there significant development in the months after episodic release or had the whole season “gone gold” as it were when episode 1 launched?

Tombot posted:

So what is everyone's opinions on this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1709730/Beyond_The_Edge_Of_Owlsgard/
Edge of Owlsgard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXeHb_dN9qo
I've added it to my wishlist for a while now and it has a decent amount of positive reviews but I don't think I've ever seen it discussed here. I'll also say that just from the screenshots alone it captures the old MSdos "Gobliiins" style graphical limitations pretty well. (It may also be related in some way to a Doom mod named "Rise of the woolball" based on one of the screenshots but that's just me speculating).

If Perfect Tides wasn’t a 2022 release Owlsgard would be my favorite adventure of the year. It’s a bit closer to Kyrandia in execution than I was expecting where everything is bright and colorful but far more sinister than it lets on and it’s like the one modern adventure game that makes death entertaining. At least on the “normal” difficulty the game warns you when you can die and it is a hard cut to the load game menu but it’s surprisingly wonderful as a teaching tool and funny how many PG ways this elk kid can get horribly maimed. Very recommended.

e: my steam review https://steamcommunity.com/id/ricardioheartguy/recommended/1709730?snr=1_5_9__402

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 25, 2024

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Someone has bought the film rights to Primordia which I really hope doesn't suck because I love that game

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Owlsgard was one of my favourite game experiences last year. It's what got me into adventure games. I thought the genre wasn't for me but Owlsgard's balance of cartooniness and seriousness won me over. It showed me what to love about adventure games: getting to know a game's rich locations and developing a relationship with them. The 90s throwback style is on point, too.

I'm doing a second playthrough of The Last Door Season 1. I like how "hazy" the game looks with its zoomed in pixel art style.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

al-azad posted:

Question for Jake what was the development time on Sam and Max season 1? I assume based on the time from Purcell pitching the game “mid-2005” to its launch October 2006 it was a year and some change but was there significant development in the months after episodic release or had the whole season “gone gold” as it were when episode 1 launched?

Only episode 1 was done when we shipped, but 2 was almost done, 3 was already at first art pass, 4 was in early production, etc. The schedule was staggered out so late season was in prepro while early season was closing, but it definitely wasn’t wrapped before the first one shipped. Telltale was extremely cheap and much preferred spending money from game sales to finish the game, than to spend the money early.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thank you. That’s absolutely wild that the turnaround time for some of these games was literal month(s) even if a generous portion of assets was reused.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Season 1 was also produced on a strict 1 episode per month release schedule.

It looks like everybody learned from lessons from that because Telltale backed away from that kind of release schedule afterward.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

ja2ke posted:

That would be really cool. I like that ScummVM aims for accuracy, but I’d also like it if they took advantage of being a reimplementation of the engine interpreter (as opposed to running the literal engine like DOSBox or DREAMM) and go freak mode. Give me nice affordances that make the games easier to deal with in 2024. Hell, givr me a build of ScummVM that crops the verb bar off the old games and runs at 16:9. Put that stuff in a tray, or streamline it down to a coin like Curse (or even just left and right click like Return). It’s not running original game code anyway, you could conceivably hack in all sorts of weird poo poo. Especially now that DREAMM is already out there doing the job of attempting machine-accurate emulation using the original binaries.
Have you ever considered working with ScummVM in supporting your older titles? I'm sure you'd rather remaster them all, but we all know your job won't be done until Telltale Texas Hold'em gets the treatment it deserves. :colbert:

ja2ke posted:

That’s good to hear, though yeah that isn’t end user focused really. I know the most important scummvm end users are the developers who have fun working on the project. That’s cool, again in a very old school OSS way, but as a non-programmer user (and sometimes software interface designer) I would love it if some folks in the project had fun thinking about ScummVM as a product and not just as a bundle of code and settings windows.
It has has been slowly improving, I imagine it's mostly growing pains from a GUI that was originally designed for SCUMM but has had to cover every adventure between 1985 and 2025.

The weakness of a project that aims to reimplement games as opposed to platforms is that most new users and developers are only interested in their pet game, but there are concentrated efforts to improve the user experience and the yearly GSOCs always bring in more usability improvements.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

SupSuper posted:

Have you ever considered working with ScummVM in supporting your older titles? I'm sure you'd rather remaster them all, but we all know your job won't be done until Telltale Texas Hold'em gets the treatment it deserves. :colbert:

I don’t own any of the engine code so I can’t provide it to ScummVM, but it would be pretty awesome if they started to offer Telltale compatibility.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Kickstarter for a Broken Sword physical box was funded instantly this morning: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/revolution-software/broken-sword-reforged-collectors-edition

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Fuzz posted:

The Free games thread turned me on to this gem:

https://jjohnstongames.itch.io/the-roottrees-are-dead

Free browser game where you're a PI rebuilding a family tree in the 1990s with lovely Internet. It's actually really drat great and uses the format in some really clever ways.

:same:

I was faltering at first, but I just left off today at 44/50 and I'm hitting a bit of a wall on the last ~5 ( I am pretty sure I fixed at least one of them ).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

OneShortEye uploaded his video on the Robin Hood speedrun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmaP8R0D9sQ

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The Last Door Season 1 was a good time but it wasn't as tightly wrapped as I remember. When I played it years ago I was so satisfied by the story that I didn't care for a season 2. Seemed unnecessary. I'm craving that season 2 now, though. I think I might like the look of Season 2 a bit more even if it's less "hazy" than season 1. The devs also sold out and made it 16:9.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
See, the slow walking and screen transitions are why I like Darkside Detective. Can have slow animation if there’s basically no animation at all!

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I played Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley. It's an attractive game and I like the anti-authoritarian message. The gameplay was uninteresting. Definitely a kids game. Some of the dialogue was weirdly not at a children's level though. Also, not sure how well it works if you aren't familiar at all with the characters going in.

It did make me a little sad when I looked at its steam page just now and saw that it already has almost 700 reviews, 98% positive. I mean good for them. I'm just sad A Highland Song didn't get similar love.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Highland Song looks pretty but it's basically just jumping about hills.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

keep punching joe posted:

Highland Song looks pretty but it's basically just jumping about hills.

Sure, that's how you get around, but the game is about being lost, discovery, and finding your way. You can be equally flippant about any number of great games, particularly in this genre.

Mode 7 had a great review:

Mode 7 posted:

What feels most astonishing to me about the game is how you genuinely can become lost. On my first playthrough, I explored my way through a dark cave that turned out to be a lot bigger on the inside than I was expected. When I emerged blinking into the sunlight on the other end it suddenly hit me - I had no idea where I was in relation to the peak I had just left, and no idea what the name of the peak I was on was. There wasn't much else for me to do but pick my way upwards to try and find the summit so I could look around and work out where the hell I'd gotten to.

moosferatu fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 15, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Highland Song is great, its just jumping around hills in the same way Snowrunner is just getting stuck

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This relatively new YouTube channel has been covering a lot of less well known adventure and adventure adjacent games.

https://youtu.be/PccUOZdqOCE?si=o1Kk9K-y51eW2vhq

This latest one is about a remake of Gadget: Invention, Travel, & Adventure, which received the new tagline Past as Future. I’d been interested in learning about this one since finding out recently that Guillermo del Toro loves the original version.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I finished playing through Callahan's Crosstime Saloon yesterday and it was thoroughly enjoyable. It's a shame that it's not available digitally as it's a game that deserves a revival on GOG and the like.

The Space Bar suddenly appeared on digital platforms within a few months of LPing it so who knows?

It was nice to have a chill adventure that was genuinely fun and funny to play through. It was also nice to have a protagonist who was trying to help others instead of ducking everyone over at every opportunity.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I finished playing through Callahan's Crosstime Saloon yesterday and it was thoroughly enjoyable. It's a shame that it's not available digitally as it's a game that deserves a revival on GOG and the like.

I wonder if Spider Robinson's estate is tough to work with or the Callahan's IP is owned by someone tight fisted now. Who knows.

I picked up Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard since its on sale, based on the praise in this thread. Looking forward to checking it out!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Clouseau posted:

I wonder if Spider Robinson's estate is tough to work with or the Callahan's IP is owned by someone tight fisted now. Who knows.

I picked up Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard since its on sale, based on the praise in this thread. Looking forward to checking it out!

Surprisingly, Robinson is still with us, so probably more likely that no one's actually tried to republish the game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I already praised it in the detective games thread, but It's also mostly an adventure.
Everyone go play this here. I loved it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1746030/__Murders_on_the_Yangtze_River/

It's a Chinese Ace Atourney-like game set in the early 1900s. The setting and the cases are well done and the English text translation is perfectly passable.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Clouseau posted:

Fil5000 posted:

Surprisingly, Robinson is still with us, so probably more likely that no one's actually tried to republish the game.

It may also depend on who has the rights to the game as well. Legend Entertainment dissolved 20 years ago so the rights are probably forgotten about in some execs filing cabinet somewhere.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've started a playthrough of an early Frogwares title called 80 Days, not to be confused by the really rather good 80 Days by Inkle. It has to be good when a company makes an announcement that they've "made a deliberate decision to remove 80 Days game from sale permanently".

It has the hallmark of all the classic adventure games: A time limit, finite resources, limited stamina, stealth sections... You know, the usual.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

There's some footage of the Broken Sword remaster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcVDGYhmorU

German magazine/website but Charles and the dude are talking in English.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That looks alright. I also was "hey that looks like how I remem- oooooh." It's nice that you can toggle between both artstyles.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Looks nice. I wish we’d see COMI get a similar treatment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I found a copy of The Art of Point and Click Games by Bitmap Books today, and can personally confirm it is indeed a Good Book. Also a very heavy hardcover to lug around over a full day of convention-attending. :shepspends:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I found a copy of The Art of Point and Click Games by Bitmap Books today, and can personally confirm it is indeed a Good Book. Also a very heavy hardcover to lug around over a full day of convention-attending. :shepspends:

Yo that looks cool as hell

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yo that looks cool as hell

It's great but it's also hillarious to devote double page spreads to low-rez pixel art

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's great but it's also hillarious to devote double page spreads to low-rez pixel art

Oh I noticed that too when I was flicking through it, but I still appreciate the sincerity of them doing so. :allears:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Mr bee got me that for Xmas, it's a gorgeous book :3:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I bought that book. Does anyone know any other good gaming history books?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Coffee table books, I got a great one with classic arcade cabinet art in it that had a Kickstarter a million years ago, Artcade. But Racing the Beam is the best book book, incredible story if you're into gaming/computer history.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 7, 2024

Bill Decker
Jan 5, 2020
The Simon the Sorcerer Origins developers have managed to get Chris Barrie back to voice Simon again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mR2bEUUyk

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bill Decker posted:

The Simon the Sorcerer Origins developers have managed to get Chris Barrie back to voice Simon again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mR2bEUUyk

And Rick Astley? They better have him sing (though it's probably too small scale a production for them to afford it).

I remembered the earlier teaser got blasted for the bad walking animation, I wonder if they changed it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I was listening to a podcast with a bit of Chris Barrie in it a while ago. He couldn't remember doing Simon The Sorcerer, maybe starring in the new game will freshen up his memory.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The experience of doing it, or did he just have no recollection he had done it at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Waltzing Along posted:

The experience of doing it, or did he just have no recollection he had done it at all?

It was a quote from the interviewer about a talk he had with Chris Barrie, where the talk was mostly about his TV work. When Simon the Sorcerer was mentioned, the title itself didn't ring a bell.

I suppose it could also be interpreted as a gig he didn’t think much of at the time.