Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Bill Decker posted:

The Simon the Sorcerer Origins developers have managed to get Chris Barrie back to voice Simon again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mR2bEUUyk

I was on the fence about a prequel happening but this has swung it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I played a couple hours of Harold Halibut this evening. The visuals are truly incredible. I'm really enjoying it so far. It plays exactly liked I'd assumed from the trailer -- low interactivity, few puzzles, and primarily narrative. While, I prefer more puzzley, interactive games, I'm certainly not going to fault the game for it here.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Played and finished The Excavation of Hob's Barrow recently and really enjoyed it. For a game that leans pretty heavy into crafting a narrative and an atmosphere, I think the puzzle difficulty felt just about right. The only thing that stumped me for a while was the horse because I overlooked that the sugar cubes on the table in the The Plough & Furrow were interactable. I could see the apple puzzle being a bit of a sticking point I suppose, but in my playthrough I'd kind of lucked into all the necessary pieces just because as a veteran adventure game player I pick up everything not nailed down and combine stuff pretty frequently. I loved the deliberate grotesqueness of some of the art, particularly Herbert the cat, and the little moments of uncomfortable weirdness like the vicar throwing up and demanding to be bled, or Arthur staring into the forest completely unresponsive, and just the general burgeoning sense that something is wrong. I saw a few people on the Steam discussion forums (yes, yes, I know...) really disliked the ending, which seems weird to me because the game wears its inspirations on its sleeve pretty drat hard and the ending being what it is feels very much in line with both the rest of the game and the horror genre it's drawing from.

All in all, a very good time and an easy recommend.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know what the specific complaint about the ending is on the Steam discussion forums, but mine is that she continued on even though she knew she was being set up. Like even a line saying that she needed to do it for her dad would have been something, but willfully ignoring the poo poo she's been told without comment just seemed a bit sloppy.

I liked where it went, but question how it got there.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know what the specific complaint about the ending is on the Steam discussion forums, but mine is that she continued on even though she knew she was being set up. Like even a line saying that she needed to do it for her dad would have been something, but willfully ignoring the poo poo she's been told without comment just seemed a bit sloppy.

I liked where it went, but question how it got there.

If you're talking about the conversation with Arthur in the alley, we see the flashback that she's being explicitly set up, but I don't think that Arthur actually manages to tell her that because they get interrupted by Panswyck who threatens him off and she doesn't acknowledge/respond to the contents of that flashback at all.

That said by the time of the day of the excavation, my read was that that Thomasina is pretty much already under Abraxas' influence at that point. Saxnot mentions that Abraxas has an inexorable corrupting influence, and Thomasina has been experiencing repeated psychic dreams about the barrow since arriving in Bewley. I think by the time she actually enters it, the outcome is already a foregone conclusion.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there! As I've recently played through the rerelease of Blade Runner on Steam, I've regained the itch for a classic investigation/adventure games. I've been out of the loop for a long time, however the main thing I remember from the classic P&Cs is that so many of them involved focusing on pixel-hunting for tiny items and backtracking endlessly, due to finding key #42 which unlocks a door near the start, giving you safe combination #12 towards the end, which has a false back revealing a secret compartment that also has a false back (requiring a walkthrough to notice) which contains the handle to a broken lever in some other section of the game, etc. etc.

SO! What I'm wondering is, are there any suggestions for either modern adventure games, or classics that hold up/are playable? (Preferably on Steam, to make things easy) Ideally something that involves talking/investigating something, but I'm open to other recommendations too. I've played LA Noire already of course, which although it doesn't fall into this category exactly, it does scratch a similar itch to Blade Runner - seeing as it's about finding/examining evidence, talking to people, etc. Apologies if this is already covered BTW - I didn't see Blade Runner in one of the OP's categories, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
The first Gabriel Knight was really good, with interesting characters and a plot that pulls you into the game.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

You could also check out:

Beyond a Steel Sky
The Blackwell series
Call of the Sea
The Darkside Detective
The longest journey / dreamfall series
The Monkey Island series
Gemini Rue
The Journey Down series
Kathy Rain
Lacuna
Sam & Max series
Shardlight
Technobabylon
Unavowed

e: oh i didnt realise the OP was so comprehensive, my bad. a lot of (maybe all?) of those games will already be listed there, so i guess just consider them as +1's from me, who hates pixel hunting and inconceivable adventure game logic. if i get stuck for too long or start getting bored i just whip out a walkthrough til i reach a point i feel like i have new ideas for how to proceed

boofhead fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 22, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there! As I've recently played through the rerelease of Blade Runner on Steam, I've regained the itch for a classic investigation/adventure games. I've been out of the loop for a long time, however the main thing I remember from the classic P&Cs is that so many of them involved focusing on pixel-hunting for tiny items and backtracking endlessly, due to finding key #42 which unlocks a door near the start, giving you safe combination #12 towards the end, which has a false back revealing a secret compartment that also has a false back (requiring a walkthrough to notice) which contains the handle to a broken lever in some other section of the game, etc. etc.

SO! What I'm wondering is, are there any suggestions for either modern adventure games, or classics that hold up/are playable? (Preferably on Steam, to make things easy) Ideally something that involves talking/investigating something, but I'm open to other recommendations too. I've played LA Noire already of course, which although it doesn't fall into this category exactly, it does scratch a similar itch to Blade Runner - seeing as it's about finding/examining evidence, talking to people, etc. Apologies if this is already covered BTW - I didn't see Blade Runner in one of the OP's categories, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask

PENTIMENT!

PENTIMENT!

PENTIMENT!

A Space For The Unbound

Whispers in The West

Detective Grimoire and Tangle Tower

Make It Good

Blacksad

The Painscreek Killings and Scene Investigators

Knee Deep

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Between Horizons

Paradise Killer

Lucifer Within Us

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I need to get back into Pentiment, it seems quite vast though and I don't know if my middle aged attention span can handle it.

Are the Frog Detective games worth a punt?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I've taken a look at a bunch of your suggestions all, and they look great so far - thanks for that! (Also, no worries boofhead - I had no idea where to start looking in there anyway, so thanks! :D )

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

keep punching joe posted:

Are the Frog Detective games worth a punt?

The first one was very quick and childishly easy, but so hilarious I bought the other two as well, though I haven't played them yet.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

I've taken a look at a bunch of your suggestions all, and they look great so far - thanks for that! (Also, no worries boofhead - I had no idea where to start looking in there anyway, so thanks! :D )

There's also the Mystery games thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030786

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

oooh, good call! Thanks - I can't say I've seen that thread until now

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

fez_machine posted:

PENTIMENT!

PENTIMENT!

PENTIMENT!

PENTIMENT

(many good suggestions here but yeah, play Pentiment, Major!]

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
^^
Pentiment kicks rear end.

Mode 7 posted:

Played and finished The Excavation of Hob's Barrow recently and really enjoyed it.

One of my favorite recent Wadjets, and I think maybe the best voice cast they've had on any of their games (which is generally pretty good). I loved the graphics, the eerie atmosphere, and the puzzles were generally just right (I was less into the end game puzzles, but they were fine enough).

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Two other 'investigative' adventure games I really enjoyed are "Whispers of a Machine" and "Unforeseen Incidents".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kashwashwa posted:

Two other 'investigative' adventure games I really enjoyed are "Whispers of a Machine" and "Unforeseen Incidents".

Whispers of a Machine is okay, but as an investigative game it accidentally gives away what its ending's structure will be by the first big plot beat. It's not a BAD game, but I wouldn't quite recommend it if they're looking to sink their teeth into an evolving mystery to tackle.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Clouseau posted:

One of my favorite recent Wadjets, and I think maybe the best voice cast they've had on any of their games (which is generally pretty good). I loved the graphics, the eerie atmosphere, and the puzzles were generally just right (I was less into the end game puzzles, but they were fine enough).

My only quibble about Hob's Barrow is that the song partway through sounds like modern acoustic indie rock and not much like the sort of British folk music which would have suited the atmosphere way better and would have been way less anachronistic.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Any soundfont opinions here? I'm about to re-play Monkey Island 2 for the 10,000th time and just want it to sound as good as possible

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Nobody Interesting posted:

Any soundfont opinions here? I'm about to re-play Monkey Island 2 for the 10,000th time and just want it to sound as good as possible

You're better off playing the remastered version if you want better music. The original MI2 only supported FM or MT32. You can force general midi with Scummvm or Dosbox and use a soundfont but it might sound wonky.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I feel the remastered edition has inferior music though, you only get a pale shadow of the original iMuse functionality.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
As cool as it is, not many players notice iMuse, sadly.

I personally like the original adlib/ FM music the best.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I always recommend using MUNT to emulate MT32 sound. It’s a standardized sound so you’re hearing it as the composer intended, and MT32 was usually the best sounding option available at the time.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

macnbc posted:

I always recommend using MUNT to emulate MT32 sound. It’s a standardized sound so you’re hearing it as the composer intended, and MT32 was usually the best sounding option available at the time.

I've tried using MUNT in the past, but it seemed like it was always really quiet, and I could never figure out how to raise the volume.

-

The other day I decided to play Noir: A Shadowy Thriller. I remember Retsupurae riffed on it years ago, but I never watched it, save for a animation someone did highlighting the game's insistence of doing dramatic stingers in rapid sequence (which I can't find, but it was just the audio from the start of this video). EDIT: Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf_zO0j1NQg

True to the title of the Retsupurae series, though, it was 'Neither Good, Noir Interesting'. It starts out promising enough, where you've got six different cases to investigate, and the impression is that you can do them in any order. However, I got stuck pretty early on, and the walkthrough I looked at said that only some of the cases are standalone (at least in terms of progression, all the cases are linked together to some degree), whereas others require you to make progress on others cases.

The two biggest problems are navigation and inventory. Some areas aren't too bad, but with others, it's becomes extremely difficult to tell where you are or where you're supposed to go. One of the cases takes you to Chinatown, and while I was able to get where I needed to progress, I was going back and forth between the same three-or-four screens trying to figure out how to leave and go back to the office. Maybe there were issues with the photography and they couldn't do reshoots, or maybe they were limited to where they were allowed to shoot, but you'll click to walk towards one area, and end up somewhere that looks completely different. Even inside someone's apartment, I was getting lost because it's done in such a way where you can't clearly tell how rooms are laid out.

The second is the inventory. Technically, you do have an inventory, but you can't actually look at the items you pick up. They just automatically get used when you're in the right place for it. Your inventory, along with the clues you find, are tracked by your notebook, but you can only view it by returning to the office and opening the drawer that it's in. There was a segment near the end where I went to the bar (which I didn't even know was there when I first started out, because of the aforementioned navigation problems) where you go up to the bar, and it plays a video with the bartender who looks at a photograph you're carrying. I'd have to play it again to test it, but there's another photo you have to show him, and I don't know if dependent on just having the photo in your inventory, or if you have to progress things for the cutscene to play.

The game has difficulties (Easy/Medium/Hard) affects things like hotspot displays, and how many hints you get. You get a phone number, with which you can call an informant, who can call from phones you find in different areas, and he'll give you pointers to what you should do or where you should look. However, in some instances, the informant will just straight up call you to tell you what to do. You go out to a housing development, and the guard at the shack tells you to buzz off. So you go back to the office, since there's nothing else you can do, and you get a call from your informant telling you, 'Hey the guard likes booze, so take a bottle of whiskey to get him drunk and search the office'. You get the bottle from the office closet, but instead of just giving it to the guard, you arrive and he's already passed out, as if taking the bottle transported it to the guard shack.

Mostly, the game is just clicking around until you find the right screen or object, which sets a flag where you access another location or trigger a certain scene. As I said, the cases are all interlinked, but it's kind of clumsy. It was the only game that the dev (Three Space Imagery/TSI) ever did last game Cyberdreams published.

On a side note, though, in reading up on the game, I found out the designer/producer at Cyberdreams was David Mullich, and that after working on Dark Seed II, I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, and Noir, he went on to work at 3DO/New World Computing, and was the director for Heroes of Might and Magic III.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 26, 2024

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had the demo for Noir on some demo disc as a kid. The demo had some introductory some from the office. Hey, your friend is missing and here’s some cases he was working on. Then the very beginning of the missing dog case. Ending just as the butler throws you out and going to a splash screen tell you to buy the game. It stuck with me so I bought it years later when I was an adult with money. It’s really cool stylistically being made up mostly of black and white photos. But the gameplay is lacking.

I did purposely screw something up at one point to see what would happen. Instead of dying you get hypnotized and have to start the entire case over.

The ending is kind of a wet fart. As I recall Your friend is perfectly fine and just decided to leave town for a while.

Same demo disc had this trailer on it.
https://youtu.be/pEREEVt3FHA?si=KhCn-L3KO4A6ejJj

Which seemed like the coolest thing ever to kid me who hadn’t really grasped what pre-rendered footage meant yet. I go to try and find it years later and it turned out that the company went under it and never came out.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Nobody Interesting posted:

It depends on your taste but if your definition of “good as possible” is what Michael Land heard when composing it, I recommend getting the latest version of the DREAMM LucasArts emulator, and a Roland MT-32 ROM and play MI2 with its original music.

Otherwise, the Special Edition arrangements really do sound great, even if the interactivity is imperfect.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

In what is probably a record for the longest a game has sat unplayed in my backlog for no real reason other than I just hadn't quite gotten around to it, I finally played and finished Broken Age, having backed it on Kickstarter. :shepface:

Look, the reasoning at first was simple enough - when the game came out and was just the first act, I was adamant that I was going to just sit and wait until the entire thing released and I could enjoy it properly. And then the game released and I didn't play it. And then just add several more years and here we are in the year of our lord 2024, where Mode 7 has finally played and finished Broken Age.

I absolutely loved it. It was thoroughly charming from start to finish. I loved the art, the world, the plot, the characters and the character writing, the humour (the running subplot of the Dead Eye Druids being my favourite, I think), the voice acting - particularly Masasa Moyo as Vella!
If I had played the game back at release I would have been driven insane by the Act 1 cliffhanger, and can't imagine that the game doesn't benefit by being able to smoothly roll over into Act 2 to keep things going.

In terms of puzzle design I thought that there was a pretty great variety of puzzle types without running into anything too tedious. The only thing I felt wasn't super well signposted was (Act 2 puzzle spoiler)waiting out the snake, as Shay as I understood what I was trying to achieve and why, but hadn't picked up on some of the visual hints until after a few abortive attempts.
Other than that my only other quibbles were a few puzzles that could have been a bit quicker to reset after a failed attempt, and that the (vague late Act 2 puzzle spoilers)robot wiring puzzles right towards the end of the game got a bit repetitious. I managed to get through it without resorting to hints or a walkthrough so difficulty felt about right, though Act 2 was definitely a bit of a spike over most of Act 1.

The best news out of all of this of course is that I can now finally sit down and watch the Double Fine Adventure documentary without worry of spoiling myself on the game.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Broken Age is funny to me on that there was just so much riding on it for people at the time and every single decision and choice was just heavily covered and examined, that it's so weird to revisit it years later without all of the bts drama at the time and see it as a perfectly good game.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Mode 7 posted:

. I loved the deliberate grotesqueness of some of the art, particularly Herbert the cat, and the little moments of uncomfortable weirdness like the vicar throwing up and demanding to be bled, or Arthur staring into the forest completely unresponsive, and just the general burgeoning sense that something is wrong.

All in all, a very good time and an easy recommend.

My favourite of these was the the bench overlooking a featureless landscape named as a lookout, and compared to every other screen in the entire game there's just nothing there. Looking out at what?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Finished another adventure game that's always piqued my curiosity whenever I've seen it: Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy. It was much better than Noir, but it's sort of strange.

You play as a detective, Joshua Reeve, who's contacted by his former captain, who's now the mayor of the city. He saved your life back when you were in the military, so he asks you to return the favor now by doing an investigation. There are terrorists attacking places in the city, including the company that's sponsoring his election. He gives you the lead of someone who infiltrated the group, but then disappeared. You get dropped off to investigate the infiltrator's apartment for leads, and that's where the game begins.

The game is sort of finicky about hotspots in a few places. The very first puzzle is fixing the elevator to get down to the apartment. Actually fixing the elevator is fine (the switch breaks, you pop the fuse out, wrap it with an aluminum wrapper you find outside, and restore it to get power to the elevator). However, once the elevator arrived, I couldn't figure out how to use it. You have a keycard for the elevator, but you have to specifically use it on the elevator slot in order to progress (once you do this, though, you can just use it normally to travel between floors). On the same screen, there's a set of mailboxes, and you have a key for the apartment mailbox, but you have to hover over the specific mailbox.

You investigate the apartment and find a lead, and make your way to another part of town to investigate, and it was around this point and onwards that I started to realize was my issue was with the game. For a game with the subtitle, 'Union City Conspiracy', you'd think there'd be a lot of intrigue, mystery, and whatnot, but it's very lacking in that regard.

You speak to a bum outside of the subway station, and through him, you learn that the guy you're looking for was last seen with owner of the local club. However, to get into the local club, you need a pass. There's a pass in the liquor store nearby, but the liquor store owner won't part with it unless you trade him for a bottle of wine. To get the wine, you have to buy a skate from the bum, get into the sewer and get a dead rat, attach the dead rat to the skate, and then enter into the liquor store basement through the back entrance and use the dead-rat-on-a-skate to scare the liquor store owner's wife back upstairs you can steal the wine and give it to the owner.

All that's standard adventure game fare, but once you get into the club, you talk to the club owner, and she tells you she hasn't seen the guy you're looking for, but you get a clue that the terrorists might be hiding out in the abandoned zoo. So begins the quest to reach the zoo. I could go into detail about that, but the point I'm trying to get at is that there's not really much in terms of investigation, but there's a lot of back-to-back puzzles. I looked up a longplay that went through the game more efficiently than I did, and they clocked in a time of 3 hours. From the segment I described to the point where you get some more exposition, it clocks in at about an hour. Most of said exposition comes from the protagonist reading it off a computer screen, and meeting with the terrorists (who, surprise, aren't actually terrorists) explaining to you what they've dealt with. It's very clunky, and I honestly had trouble following it, because it drops in a new plot element, and you're not really sure what it is, or what the fuss is about until later, after you've done some more puzzles (this time in cyberspace), and get another info dump. Then you've got one last stretch of puzzles (this time more plot driven) and the game is over.

The puzzles themselves aren't bad, though. As always, I followed a walkthrough, but a lot of them are pretty straightforward. There are some goofy ones, though. The zoo you find has all these themed areas, and one of them has a giant talking Sphynx, which is malfunctioning, and tells you to enter the daily code, which is made up of three code wheels using hieroglyphics. When you enter cyberspace, the area you start out exploring is a horror-themed amusement park, and one of the rooms has a werewolf in it. That's not so strange, but what's funny is that later, you go to the virtual office of your friend, the mayor, and in order to get past a door lock, you need to steal the antique pistol that's kept in the display case in the meeting room, and then melt a silver-coin onto one of the bullets so you can kill the werewolf, and take its blood to melt the lock on the office door (in fairness, you find a message in the amusement park telling you that werewolf blood burns through metal; my issue's moreso the in-universe logic of how that makes sense).

I think there's one puzzle where you can potentially render the game unwinnable, but I didn't really test to see if that was the case, and just loaded a save. The final puzzle of the game revolves around figuring out ciphered math, which I like, even though I'm not smart enough to figure it out on my own :downs:.

I dunno, it's not a bad game, but the overall design of it is weird. It's like when they planned it out, they had a bunch of puzzles they wanted to do, and environments they wanted to create, but they just kind of wedged the plot in where it would fit.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I played my way through Bud Tucker in Double Trouble yesterday, a 1996 comedy point and click adventure in Day of the Tentacle style. It was a childhood obsession of mine, after I played the demo in 1995, but was never able to find it (because it had a very limited release). Already played through the 1st act years ago, but I found out recently it got support for ScummVM.

Alas, what a piece of poo poo. The graphics and spritework are genuinely good and nice, the voice acting alright, but it ticks all the boxes of bad adventure games. Tedious dialogue trees that require constant repetition. Complete nonsense puzzle sequences that a walkthrough is mandatory for. Your character telling you you're crazy and stupid for attempting anything but exactly the correct actions, sometimes telling you "that's impossible!" when you try to Look At an object. Numerous vital items that make up a two-pixel-hotspot on the screen. Easily encountered softlock situations.

It sucks, the background and sprite artists deserved a better game to work on.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

On the final scenes of Paradigm and, let me tell you, this is the weirdest loving game I've ever played. It relishes at every single moment to make something utterly bizarre, sometimes in an amazing new way, sometimes in a very cringe way, but it's certainly hard not to credit it for trying. Good lord, does it keep trying to one up itself with the bizarre and extremely nerd jokes that only the most terminally online will get.

gently caress putting a whole achievement on either getting actual hand nerve damage or cheating away at the stupid thing. I understood the joke. It's made at my own expense. Yes. Thanks.

I'll certainly respect the hell out of Glam Metal from now on, though.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Saoshyant posted:

On the final scenes of Paradigm and, let me tell you, this is the weirdest loving game I've ever played. It relishes at every single moment to make something utterly bizarre, sometimes in an amazing new way, sometimes in a very cringe way, but it's certainly hard not to credit it for trying. Good lord, does it keep trying to one up itself with the bizarre and extremely nerd jokes that only the most terminally online will get.

My favourite extremely specific thing was the entire fake Barry White-esque song that references early online dating and the "hot milfs are in your area" scams

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

I'll certainly respect the hell out of Glam Metal from now on, though.

Man, I love glam metal! Never heard of this game though - maybe I should check it out :D

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've never played Loom before, what's the preferred way to play it? I bought the Steam version ages ago but it sounds like that's not necessarily the preferred way to play it, since I guess it traded background music in favor of having voiced dialog? It's very strange to play.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MockingQuantum posted:

I've never played Loom before, what's the preferred way to play it? I bought the Steam version ages ago but it sounds like that's not necessarily the preferred way to play it, since I guess it traded background music in favor of having voiced dialog? It's very strange to play.

Ok, so there is the original floppy version that uses EGA graphics, which actually looks better than the later "improved" VGA graphics except in a couple of places.

Then there is the FM towns version which uses the VGA graphics, but is otherwise mostly the same as the original version.

The CD version has voiced dialogue, which led to the dialogue being edited down so it could fit on the CD. It also doesn't have music except in cutscenes.

I'd say the floppy version is the best version.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I'm a big time partisan for the Loom EGA original. The VGA enhanced version is from that run of early Lucas games where the conversions all just look pretty crummy (Loom, Last Crusade, etc).

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cool, I'll see if I can track that one down, I feel like I'm overdue to actually play this game since the LA classics tend to be my favorites. Also I've heard it's only like, 4 hours long or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
From Brian Moriarty himself

@ProfBMoriarty posted:

- To experience LOOM as it was actually developed in 1989/90, obtain the original EGA .LFL data (78 files, 2,151,598 bytes total).
- Use SCUMMVM graphics mode 3X, render mode EGA, AR correct ON, fullscreen OFF. Audio: AdLib, all defaults. Remarkably authentic.
- Again: Please buy a commerical release to properly renumerate the publisher/distributor! Sales make a remaster/sequels more likely.