Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Jeez, look at that picture. That's not someone with a Koto-like ponytail, that IS Koto! There's no way that's not Koto from the future or something, especially considering they didn't change it in episode 0. "Inari" must be an inherited title related to the fox mask or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Commie's subs for ep 2 are out. Prepare to get your hearts warmed. :unsmith:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That episode was just pure adorableness. This show is gold.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That reveal was certainly something. I honestly did not expect that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What reveal?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Allarion posted:

I was expecting this series to be breakneck insanity but Im pleasantly surprised about how laid back and :unsmith: it is.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

What reveal?

Inari being Koto's dad, possibly?

Zassiliss
May 31, 2011

the cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
I thought it was pretty clear that he adopted her, and that their relationship was strictly mentor/student for the time being. That's why when she called him Papa after that dream sequence, he was all "what"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zassiliss posted:

I thought it was pretty clear that he adopted her, and that their relationship was strictly mentor/student for the time being. That's why when she called him Papa after that dream sequence, he was all "what"

Yeah. At some point, Lady Koto told Koto that inari was her papa and that Lady Koto was her mother. It's how she was able to talk about Mirror Kyoto while she was still young.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Uh OK. (ep 3 spoilers) So I guess Fushimi and probably Shoko are from Shrine too?

Episode titles from the website by the way.

quote:

#0 予習篇
#1 ある一家の事情とその背景
#2 やってきたのは妹
#3 長男と愉快で科学な仲間
#4 次女と素敵な妖怪達
#5 若き三男の悩みと始まりと終わり
#5.5 京都実録篇
#6 二人が計画し一人が悩む話
#7 母が帰還してついでに父も帰還した
#8 あっちとこっちでもめる話
#9 どうしたらいいかみんなで考えよう
#10 今日を騒がしく戯れ生きる人々の漫画映画
#10.5 復習篇

#0 Introductory Chapter
#1 The Background and Circumstances of a Certain Family
#2 Welcome, Little Sister
#3 The Eldest and His Cheerful Scientific Team
#4 The Second-Born and Her Lovely Monster Party
#5 The Third-Born and His Sorrow and the Beginning and the End
#5.5 Kyoto Documentary Chapter
#6 The Story of Two People Planning and One Person in Sorrow
#7 The Return of the Mother and Also the Return of the Father
#8 The Story of Disagreements, Here and There
#9 Let’s All Figure Out What Needs To Be Done
#10 The Animated Movie of People Who’s Lives Are Noisy and Fun
#10.5 Summary Chapter

So expect the 2012 stuff to continue through episode 5 and some fully new episodes to kick off after the documentary thing.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 24, 2013

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The mob vs. the crow was a hilarious sequence. I also liked how Shouko's anime re-enactment was essentially Giant Robo.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

That part was amazing. I really hope the Kurama Temple folks stay front and center, the mob of suits are just hilarious.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I think I came close to understanding what's going on for a moment.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

What confuses me the most is the apparent relationship between Inari and Lady Koto. I'm certain I don't understand what is supposed to be there at all. What makes even less sense is that girl-Koto is supposed to resemble the original Myoue in some way.

Last year's ONA showed Yakushimaru being given the Myoue powers and henceforth being called Myoue. I don't know if he can create drawings that can be brought to life, but he can certainly kick-rear end. He may be girl-Koto's guardian simply because no one else is powerful enough.

This episode's focus on Kurama was terrific. Interesting to see how serious and studious he was all through his childhood -- and also obedient. There's no doubt that Shouko and Fushimi are from the Shrine. I went back and watched last week's episode regarding this, and I wasn't able to spot anything definite. I thought I might.

Inari is really the big mystery. Also, from the full-length ONA from last year, Lady Koto returns; however, the original Myoue is no where to be found.....

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dan7el posted:

Last year's ONA showed Yakushimaru being given the Myoue powers and henceforth being called Myoue. I don't know if he can create drawings that can be brought to life, but he can certainly kick-rear end. He may be girl-Koto's guardian simply because no one else is powerful enough.

I dont think he's the guardian just because he's strong. Kurama mentions that Myoue is the most similar to her, and its not just because he's human. So that probably factor into the decision.

I still think kid Koto is probably the original Myoue's reincarnation. Or at least a part of his reincarnation. I have no idea what to make of Inari. All I know is that the head priest in the first episode used the same mask and has the same familiar.

Mind you, I haven't watched the ONAs so they might explain some of the Inari issues.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
For some reason, I thought the original Myoue was Inari, since they looked similar which I thought was the big reveal of episode 2, but I could be wrong. It also would mean that Koto is probably Inari and Lady Koto's biological daughter, which is already somewhat probable since she does resemble Inari. The fact that he seems to be connected with the black rabbit and knew about Mirror Kyoto hinted at that direction though.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Allarion posted:

Agreed. This anime seriously kicks butt. :)

Thank you for making this thread.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I probably would have loved this episode a lot more if I hadn't seen the latest episode of KLK hours ago. Pretty awesome episode though, and I especially enjoyed watching that army of bumbling agents chase after the controller.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Allarion posted:

For some reason, I thought the original Myoue was Inari, since they looked similar which I thought was the big reveal of episode 2, but I could be wrong. It also would mean that Koto is probably Inari and Lady Koto's biological daughter, which is already somewhat probable since she does resemble Inari. The fact that he seems to be connected with the black rabbit and knew about Mirror Kyoto hinted at that direction though.
It's this. I am 99% certain it's this (I'm not Toxx level certain however). When Myoue bestowed whatever it was to Yakushimaru, it included a double helix which I presume essentially means a template of his DNA which is why Yakushimaru is now Myoue. The abandoned school where Inari and Kto lived contained the paintings of Mirror Kyoto with a chair specifically placed to view it and the picture of Koto. Inari having the key for that room, knowing about Mirror Kyoto, and crying behind his mask in the room with the Mirror Kyoto paintings are the biggest clues. Koto figuring it all out is pretty much revealed when she calls Inari Papa instead of Sensei or Master.

What seems to throw everything off is whether or not Koto is playing dumb about everything since we, as viewers, are left in the dark about some of the bigger details in this mystery.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
If you still feel bad about going the fansub route, Crunchyroll has picked up the series.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Kuroyama posted:

If you still feel bad about going the fansub route, Crunchyroll has picked up the series.

Cool, stuck it into my queue and will probably catch up some point this week.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Kuroyama posted:

Thanks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kuroyama posted:

Cool. I don't like Commie and EveTaku takes a little while so this is great news.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Kuroyama posted:

This is the best news. I am glad more people get to watch this. :)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Fantastic news. This show deserves the attention. Also I still feel a bit weird about fansubs.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I love how the younger Koto is just an absolute terror, totally unapologetic about destroying things and pounding people in the face when they need it.

"It wasn't a fight! I destroyed him!"

Sums her up pretty well, and that's just fine with me.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

Allarion posted:

Well, in addition to the points you just made, Inari and original Myoue have the same voice actor.
What would that make Koto, anyway? A quarter each of fox, human, rabbit, and Bodhisattva? That's approaching Kurosaki Ichigo levels of 'bloodline melting pot.'

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kaleid Stardust posted:

Well, in addition to the points you just made, Inari and original Myoue have the same voice actor.
What would that make Koto, anyway? A quarter each of fox, human, rabbit, and Bodhisattva? That's approaching Kurosaki Ichigo levels of 'bloodline melting pot.'

Inari isn't a fox, that's just his name/title. Presumably when Koto grows up, she will take the mantle of Inari

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Inari isn't a fox, that's just his name/title. Presumably when Koto grows up, she will take the mantle of Inari

The original Myoue was half kitsune, so if he is Inari, then his fox mask and codename just happen to be fitting for him.

The thing about Inari being the original Myoue is that their body types seem pretty different. But that could be confusion stemming from how the monk robes make the original Myoue bulkier looking and there apparently being two inaris.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I hadn't watched the 2012 ONAs until today, and drat did I love them. Episode 5 was particularly poignant. Also caught up on the current TV series, though it's slightly annoying to be rewatching many of the same scenes back to back.

I'm not sure if I like the TV series spelling everything out so plainly. Half the appeal of the first ONA and the five after that was piecing things together, and revealing things backwards. Having it start at the beginning was simply surreal.

For Inari, I think they could really go either way with him either being original Myoue himself, which I think is more likely what with him having the original drawings in his private study, or a newly created big brother for Koto, which comes from him looking rather different. He was also apparently in mirror Kyoto, which leads credence to that, since apparently they haven't had any visitors. Except maybe Shouko and Fushimi are from the shrine, though I still think there's room for interpretation there.

I never thought there was any doubt that "long-haird Inari" was actually Koto. It never even occurred to me. It just looks like her future self stepping in when her past self needed a little help.

I think they definitely changed the origin of her hammer, though, unless there's something huge I missed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Will2Powa posted:

The original Myoue was half kitsune, so if he is Inari, then his fox mask and codename just happen to be fitting for him.

The thing about Inari being the original Myoue is that their body types seem pretty different. But that could be confusion stemming from how the monk robes make the original Myoue bulkier looking and there apparently being two inaris.

When was it mentioned he was part kitsune? I must have missed that part.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

When the villagers were gossiping about him in episode 1 one of them mentioned it. Another said that he's in league with occult gods. There isn't really any strong evidence for either.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I can't check at the moment, but I believe the narrator himself said Myoue was half kitsune.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Commie's version of Episode 4 is out for all you non-Crunchyroll viewers. It was an all right episode, I didn't like it as much as the previous few, but it was still good. Making trash day an almost holiday event is pretty interesting conceptually though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
I thought Episode 4 was rather poignant myself, but maybe I'm a sucker for the innocent monster types.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MadRhetoric posted:

I thought Episode 4 was rather poignant myself, but maybe I'm a sucker for the innocent monster types.

I liked it, I like how they are giving each character an episode so you can get to know them and why they do what they do.

Poor Yase, she just wants to see her mom again and get a hug. :smith:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Finally got around to binging the TV episodes so far after not watching anything since the original ONA came out. This show is pretty much Anime of the Season. I can't really describe why I like it so much, aside of the obvious appeal of ~colors~, but it does scratch an itch I haven't felt fulfilled since Tsuritama. It's just... so generally pleasant I guess.

Koto rules.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked that episode a lot more than the OVA version. Yase and Koto own.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I liked it, I like how they are giving each character an episode so you can get to know them and why they do what they do.

Poor Yase, she just wants to see her mom again and get a hug. :smith:

Episode 3 blew my expectations. Didn't Kurama seem like an archetypical, sinister old man who controls everyone else nefariously? A rather boring and tried cliche, that is--yet anime pulls characters like that out all the time. If Toei Animation can flesh out a guy like that and make me care for him, I'm convinced they can do anything with the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Episode 4 is on CR and it's as charming as ever. Yase's relationship with mum Koto is really heartwarming. There's just something about this show that just makes it so nice to watch and the only gripe I have with it is that all the colours make it harder to stream with my slow download speeds.

e: Also, is there any reason why CR is a day late on this? As far as I know every other show is up at the same time as it is in Japan.

Widdiful fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 1, 2013

• Locked thread