Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Widdiful posted:

Episode 4 is on CR and it's as charming as ever. Yase's relationship with mum Koto is really heartwarming. There's just something about this show that just makes it so nice to watch and the only gripe I have with it is that all the colours make it harder to stream with my slow download speeds.

e: Also, is there any reason why CR is a day late on this? As far as I know every other show is up at the same time as it is in Japan.

It happens with some shows. I don't know the reasons behind it though

That was a wonderful episode. I really like how each episode has been more like a series of short stories from which we can puzzle out the larger plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Widdiful posted:

e: Also, is there any reason why CR is a day late on this? As far as I know every other show is up at the same time as it is in Japan.

Its not unusual for CR to have latecast shows; this season is somewhat crazy because they managed to license basically everything and only 2 shows are more than 12 hours after airdate.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

MadRhetoric posted:

I thought Episode 4 was rather poignant myself, but maybe I'm a sucker for the innocent monster types.

You're not alone. :unsmith:

Liked most of the changes though it's too bad that they didn't have time for the good Shoko bits from the original short episode because Shoko owns.

e: like this one

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 2, 2013

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
All the characters in this show are so drat likeable. The managed to do that in just 4 episodes. Most shows can't make me root for any character over a whole season but somehow this one did.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah, Yase and mama Koto stuff is great, and the piano tracks they use for those scenes just really tugs are your heart strings. :unsmith:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yase owns, she's got cool 70's style shoujo eyes. :swoon:

Or maybe she's just a demon. Who knows? :iiam:

Actually the whole show owns, I absolutely love the art, character and creature designs and trying to figure out what, exactly is going on.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This episode was kind of strange. It didn't really make sense until the very end, but it didn't hit the same way as it did with Yase. Still a great episode, just not as good as usual.

But why does Myoue the 2nd want to be killed once mom Koto is found? drat cliffhangers :argh:

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Episode 5, certainly took a sharp turn at the end. Koto still owns, though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Episode 5 had a lot of intriguing imagery, especially that image of a young Myoue giving Koto a pomegranate. I have no idea how to interpret that though it probably ties into the idea of death throughout the episode, given how Myoue essentially starts his life by dying and is then abandoned within a world where no one can die. Then there was the whole discussion between Kurama and Yase with the story of the dying dog as well as the whole symbolism of the train taking things to their end. That quote at the beginning is also interesting, though all I really took from it is that Myoue is not in his proper station maybe? Well, I'm not that good at interpreting, but it's interesting food for thought. Koto and moped rides always own though. The next episode being a live-action tour of Kyoto was unexpected though. Curious to see why they planned it that way, but hey I'm all for seeing cool locales in Japan.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 8, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Allarion posted:

The next episode being a live-action tour of Kyoto was unexpected though. Curious to see why they planned it that way, but hey I'm all for seeing cool locales in Japan.

It's a .5 episode, basically filler. Still, it might be good filler.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, lots of symbolism going around in this episode.

What I take from the whole "station" thing at the start is that it kinda links to what we see the priest do with current Myoue. 1st Myoue was going to do something that betrayed his position as a priest so he hands down that position to Yakushimaru making him Myoue.

I already mentioned way back when that Koto was probably Myoue's reincarnation, and a lot of the imagery in this episode alludes to that. Myoue giving her the pomegranate felt like he was giving it back to her. Also the scene changing from dark and depressing to bright and cheerful the moment Koto pops up kinda invokes a feeling that the waiting is over. I wonder if asking Koto to kill him is part of the process. For him to stop being "Myoue" and becoming Yakushimaru again.

I really want to see how this develops. Too bad we are getting a filler next episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What I take from the whole "station" thing at the start is that it kinda links to what we see the priest do with current Myoue. 1st Myoue was going to do something that betrayed his position as a priest so he hands down that position to Yakushimaru making him Myoue.

I already mentioned way back when that Koto was probably Myoue's reincarnation, and a lot of the imagery in this episode alludes to that. Myoue giving her the pomegranate felt like he was giving it back to her. Also the scene changing from dark and depressing to bright and cheerful the moment Koto pops up kinda invokes a feeling that the waiting is over. I wonder if asking Koto to kill him is part of the process. For him to stop being "Myoue" and becoming Yakushimaru again.

I really want to see how this develops. Too bad we are getting a filler next episode.

Put those two parts together and it's easy to see that Myoue is the dog forever waiting on a dead master. At one point when talking with Yase about the dog, Karuma speculates that maybe the dog intended to die along with its master. Considering that Myoue's request for Koto to kill him came after he realized that Koto's appearence did, in some sense, fulfill the promise the first Myoue made to him, we can only assume that he is as Karuma speculated.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Lot of changes from the 2012 episode this time too. If anything it all ended up making less sense.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Except that Koto is probably the child of Lady Koto and the first Myoue (who is now probably Inari). Inari/Myoue sent Koto to Mirror Kyoto in his stead to look for her mother/his wife and just to see Mirror Kyoto in general.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tooooooo bad posted:

Lot of changes from the 2012 episode this time too. If anything it all ended up making less sense.

My favorite thus far :swoon:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Except that Koto is probably the child of Lady Koto and the first Myoue (who is now probably Inari). Inari/Myoue sent Koto to Mirror Kyoto in his stead to look for her mother/his wife and just to see Mirror Kyoto in general.

Its entirely possible thats this is also the case but I have issues with it because it would make Inari a giant jerk. Maybe he has an entirely valid reason to not go back into the mirror capital, but its not something thats been explored yet.

Time wise it doesnt make sense either. Where in the time line would Myoue and Koto1 conceive Koto2 and what would change in the short time between her birth and when we saw her that makes Myoue into Inari. Or was he Inari already at the time? Its been hundreds of years since they left the mirror capital. Was Koto2 kept in a time pocket similar to the other brothers to slow/stop her aging?

Inari is still the big question in all of this for me. Maybe he's the one thats actually Myoue's reincarnation.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I get the feeling Inari is actually the original Myoue as well, no clue about the appearance change but I wonder if it had something to do with Yakushimaru "growing up"/becoming Myoue. The timeline in the show is kinda hazy between the family heading into Mirror Kyoto, then Myoue1 and Koto1 leaving, Yakushimaru becoming Myoue2, and Koto2 showing up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It would not surprise me at all if time were to pass at a very different rate in mirror Kyoto, in which case Koto could be a very distant descendent of the original Koto, and no one would really remember what the heck was up with that painting.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I think that time passes around the same rate. The tech level in mirror-Kyoto is something like ours but more fantastic, I think, and the Shrine seems to be at the same level with implications that it's outside the "real" Kyoto.

I'm a bit sad that they left out the scene from the OVAs where a girl tries to hold onto her doll and Shouko and her gang have to step in to help, even with Koto there. I kept waiting for it and was a little disappointed. But I love that Shouko and her gang, so I might just be bitter.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Desuwa posted:

I think that time passes around the same rate. The tech level in mirror-Kyoto is something like ours but more fantastic, I think, and the Shrine seems to be at the same level with implications that it's outside the "real" Kyoto.

I'm a bit sad that they left out the scene from the OVAs where a girl tries to hold onto her doll and Shouko and her gang have to step in to help, even with Koto there. I kept waiting for it and was a little disappointed. But I love that Shouko and her gang, so I might just be bitter.

The tech level might be similar but think about it - the prologue seems to be in the medieval era, whereas the Shrine seems to be using future tech. It would make sense if hundreds and hundreds of years have passed in the outside world. The tech that we see could have been imported - it doesn't seem like any of the native denizens of mirror Kyoto are capable of change.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Put those two parts together and it's easy to see that Myoue is the dog forever waiting on a dead master. At one point when talking with Yase about the dog, Karuma speculates that maybe the dog intended to die along with its master. Considering that Myoue's request for Koto to kill him came after he realized that Koto's appearence did, in some sense, fulfill the promise the first Myoue made to him, we can only assume that he is as Karuma speculated.

I'm pretty sure Kurama didn't say the dog intended to die with its master. He said it died the way it intended. That is, it knew its master wasn't coming back but chose to die in a show of loyalty. The idea being Myoue knows they aren't coming back but feels the need to go through the motions anyway.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Well, if you simply look at the "family photo" we get in the OP (or maybe ED, can't recall which), the original Myoue is not in the photo, but Inari is. I'd bet that Inari is somehow either the reincarnation of the original Myoue or something to that matter.

Likely he's the real father of Koto-the-Younger with Koto-the-Older being her biological mother (per Mother-Koto holding an infant-Koto at the end of the fifth ONA -- but that's just a guess who the baby is/was).

Hard to tell what Older Koto/Original Myoue had to do that required they leave Mirror Kyoto. It appears hundreds of years have passed since they left new-Myoue and his elder siblings in charge of Mirror Kyoto. It's quite likely that Younger Koto could be Myoue's/Inari's biological child after he is reincarnated.

Isn't there a scene in episode 2 or so where Younger Koto opens a door and ends up at what appears to be the original temple where it all started? We find that Inari goes here and relaxes in a chair. How does he even know about this place, etc? (If he's not Myoue).

Yakushimaru has already proven himself to be suicidal. I can see how he'd be ready to die after hundreds of years of waiting for the original Myoue to return. Give back the burden of being responsible for Mirror Kyoto, and die.

I'm not sure I get what the opening of the train station is supposed to mean. I would guess that it is the coming of new things and the leaving of old things. People get rid of things they don't want and they leave on the train. New things/object/people/demons arrive. The expectation is that when original-Myoue and Elder-Koto return, they'll return on the train. Did they leave by the same train?

In fact, we have no real indication that Yakushimaru ever intended to live past the point where he stabbed himself with the knife after his birth parents were killed in the raid/battle. He's never shown to be truly happy, and the spiritual power that Myoue passes on to Yakushimaru appears to be something that Yakushimaru neither asked for nor desired. It's more of a burden, and he's simply existing in Mirror Kyoto for the sake of doing his duty to his adopted family.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Does anyone else think the brief shot of the three animals near the end implies that Myouse2 did inherit the drawing ability of Myouse1?

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

This episode was very interesting, it never really occurred to me that the locales in the anime are based on real places in Kyoto, let alone be almost identical.
Those cakes made me hungry, though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, hearing about Japanese history and mythology is always fun. Didn't realize how much Kyousougiga was referencing from Kyoto's temples though, so having a filler explain some of it was pretty cool.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I was fascinating to see all of the shows inspirations, especially since they're all beautiful, scenic mountain/forest shrines. I love the fact that the Myoue's dog it the grown up version of that puppy statue.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Those who bet on Koto being the daughter of Lady Koto: You win (I think)

Apparently, Priest Myoue's abilities go beyond making drawings real and can do some serious poo poo. I'm sure it's definitely within his ability to change his appearance at this point given that he can make someone functionally immortal

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm sure it's quite obvious in this series by now but wow look at all of the mother/father complexes. Koto-the-younger having the same name as her mother(?) Koto-the-Elder, and Yakushimaru taking an interest in her. Yakushimaru having his father's name and prayer-bead legacy while doing this.

Talking out my butt here, but a lot of traditional psychology bases much of the root cause of depression and anxiety on pressures caused by parents (or lack of them), and we see much of it in almost all of the inner circle of characters in this show, from Koto's loneliness, to Yase's frantic retention of belongings, to Yakushimaru's long wait for death.

In a way, I can forsee (not having seen the OVAs aside from Episode 00) that this impending climax(?) will only be the beginning for the family, as a likely confrontation with Mom and Dad will only lead to the realization that there is more missing to each family member's puzzle, a shining light of epiphany upon their paths to happiness and feelings of being truly alive.

TL;DR: it's only going to be episode 7 where is my hero's journey :qq:

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Man, Myoue had it rough. Priest Myoue said that Myoue can't die, would that be suicide or dying in general? If it's the latter then I don't know how he plans on dying.
Next episode looks like mother Koto is coming back and child Koto is going to blow stuff up

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Widdiful posted:

Man, Myoue had it rough. Priest Myoue said that Myoue can't die, would that be suicide or dying in general? If it's the latter then I don't know how he plans on dying.
Next episode looks like mother Koto is coming back and child Koto is going to blow stuff up

There's a reason he asked child Koto to kill him. The reason is her hammer destroys things which would otherwise regenerate. Literal :fuckoff:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was not expecting to get to the OVA so quickly! We're somewhere around the halfway point and I have no idea where they're going from here.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, they explained the pomegranate, so that previous scene makes more sense now. Should be interesting where they take it from here. Inari I believe is still unaccounted for since he did something in the OVA as well. I've never seen the original net OVAs so I don't know if he was ever in Mirror Kyoto there, but I remember him doing something in episode 0 though.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm thinking that the last six episodes (minus the interesting live-action history episode) were more or less character introductions and setup. From here on out, the story actually begins. Also, next episode more or less aligns the final ONA with this series.

Likewise, current-Myoue is immortal. He's hoping younger-Koto's hammer-of-destruction can do him in. Interesting, that Koto hasn't decided whether or not she'll kill Myoue as he's asked. I would expect her to refuse outright. I don't see her as a cold-blooded killer.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dan7el posted:

I don't see her as a cold-blooded killer.

Well then you're getting into the question of assisted suicide/euthanasia.... So I don't expect we're going to dwell on that question a whole lot, since this is a kids show. At least I think it is, given the staff? I don't know what timeslot the TV show airs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Rodyle posted:

Well then you're getting into the question of assisted suicide/euthanasia.... So I don't expect we're going to dwell on that question a whole lot, since this is a kids show. At least I think it is, given the staff? I don't know what timeslot the TV show airs.

1:30 AM Japan time. This is a manchildren's show, not a children's show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I think this show might be just a bit too batshit insane for children to understand.

Oh, we also had 2 episodes with a kid committing suicide, so I doubt kids are the intended audience.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Oh, well then.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Rodyle posted:

Oh, well then.

I think that whole thing with Yakushimaru's past justifies the genre more too, though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Haven't I heard the explanation that recording tv for later viewing is much more popular in Japan, so late showing time isn't necessarily representative of intended audience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think that whole thing with Yakushimaru's past justifies the genre more too, though.

Eh, not necessarily, you see that kind of thing in shounen series from time to time. Can't say I can think of a shoujo one that does it though.

• Locked thread