Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm grasping at another straw here, but this is also a show that depicts a monk as a lazy hedonist with a penchant for shirking his duties.

Moreover this show is being featured in Super Heroine Chronicle. All of the other shows in Super Heroine Chronicle? Manchildren shows. :colbert: Except for maybe, like, Dream Hunter Rem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that Kyousougiga is a personal project of the team at Toei, which like all anime studios is staffed by otaku. It's a team of animators with the freedom to do basically whatever, who also have good taste. The end result is something that is for the most part for manchildren (or womanchildren), but not to the point where it obnoxiously panders to them. It happens that the major audience for a really good experimental anime is the people who really care about anime.

Rodyle posted:

Eh, not necessarily, you see that kind of thing in shounen series from time to time. Can't say I can think of a shoujo one that does it though.

You haven't watched enough shoujo.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah, there are shoujo situations out there that can really only be described as bizarre. I mean, sure you can have funny shounen ha-ha concepts that last for like an episode/chapter, but some shoujo series out there take some very odd things and they run with them, and bring all the real seriousness that comes with being romanced by a dog that's transformed into a charming prince and everything. :catstare: And that's not even getting into morbid stuff like the current drift of this thread.

Toei! Now, the multiple iterations of the Pretty Cure series by Toei, THAT's a children's show. Weekly kids' antics plus a monster-of-the-week with a dash of animated tokusatsu effects here and a sprinkling of Dragonball-style brawls there.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Come to think of it a number of 100% for little girls CLAMP works, CCS among them, have assisted suicide and poo poo as major themes so my original premise is pretty clearly off :v:

Kyousagiga's a cool show. Best show of the season if you ask me!

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

The Devil Tesla posted:

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that Kyousougiga is a personal project of the team at Toei, which like all anime studios is staffed by otaku. It's a team of animators with the freedom to do basically whatever, who also have good taste. The end result is something that is for the most part for manchildren (or womanchildren), but not to the point where it obnoxiously panders to them. It happens that the major audience for a really good experimental anime is the people who really care about anime.

They're clearly just doing whatever the gently caress they feel like, given the episode which is just the voice actors messing around in Kyoto.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ok, I thought this episode would finally give us some closure on what the gently caress is going on with the Kotos and Myoues but nope! There is still a whole lot more going on here that meets the eye.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

This is my favorite anime of the season, it even beats kill la kill for me. Also loving the OST, this is one of my favorite tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASPzL5yFzN8.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Welp, child Koto's destroyed the universe, I guess.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

One of the things Im thinking about is what the Bodhisattva said about Myoue at the start of the series and whether its relevant to whats happening right now in the Mirror Capital. Whats "skewed" about him and why he needs saving. The monks words about ones position in life probably ties into this as well.

What Koto the elder mentions, that she's not what Shrine was trying to keep out leads me to believe that it was child Koto or even Inari, or possibly both. Another odd thing is that Inari's introduction in this episode was uncommonly dark, it had the same weird vibes that the scene where Myoue resurrected Yakushimaru.

I do like what they've done with Koto's simmering rage about everyone asking her to do stuff and not really explaining anything. The disbelief in her eyes when elder Koto told her to save Myoue, it must have been heartbreaking. Her following meltdown was really well done

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Koto really raised the stakes at the end there, drat.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
That's a hell of an ultimatum. Was a good episode, too. Kyousougiga is one of the two anime I really look forward to every week (the other being Kill la Kill).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Would have worked a lot better if they'd ever explained what a parallel was.

I mean it's obvious from the context but considering we've never seen any of the others I'm not sure why we should care.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sindai posted:

Would have worked a lot better if they'd ever explained what a parallel was.

I mean it's obvious from the context but considering we've never seen any of the others I'm not sure why we should care.

I think that's what was translated as "plane" in Crunchyroll's version? That would most likely be a Buddhist plane of existence, but after some Wikipedia trawling, I can't find anything that can support the things discussed in the anime. (Start at Jōdo Shinshū, it seems to be a strong base for Kyousougiga.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 7, 2013

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

A plane of existence is basically a place where Buddhists believe they go to after they die. I don't know much about them, but they seem to be a pretty important part of Buddhism and the destruction of all of them would be a very bad thing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Widdiful posted:

A plane of existence is basically a place where Buddhists believe they go to after they die. I don't know much about them, but they seem to be a pretty important part of Buddhism and the destruction of all of them would be a very bad thing.

The thing is just, the anime is pretty explicit about Mirror Kyoto being on the 13th plane, which was created from scratch? And is taboo? None of the enumerations of planes I have found have had that few planes, or otherwise made any mention of number 13 as being special.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Since there are two Koto's, I'll specify which I'm talking about :

Young-Koto -- she pretty-much is threatening to do exactly what I expected her to threaten to do. I was thinking, "If she doesn't get her way, I'll bet she threatens...." And she did.

What I'm curious about is why the heck the powers-that-be gave her such a weapon in the first place. Also, it seems to me, because of her unique birth circumstances (defined in this episode as the union of a buddha (I'm guessing old-Koto is the buddha) and something-else-which I can't remember -- but it seems like she's far more than a normal human would be -- that young Koto may, in fact, be the only existence capable of handling said large and destructive mallet.

"Hey! Let's give this child a weapon that can destroy whole worlds!"
"Sounds like a good idea!"

I believe young-Koto will follow through with her threat, and I'm fairly certain she'll act on Myoue's favor when all is done. I don't think he ever wanted to live past the point where he initially committed suicide. I thought it was really cool, though, how Myoue was the only one who could truly get through to young-Koto when she was bugging out. They really seem to have a connection.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It reminds me of the connection these bros have:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU1q5VY-rGc

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ViggyNash posted:

It reminds me of the connection these bros have:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU1q5VY-rGc

I guess I need to watch Sengoku Basara.

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

nielsm posted:

The thing is just, the anime is pretty explicit about Mirror Kyoto being on the 13th plane, which was created from scratch? And is taboo? None of the enumerations of planes I have found have had that few planes, or otherwise made any mention of number 13 as being special.

I just took "parallel"/"plane" to mean a parallel world, and there's nothing inherently special about the number 13 except that it's one more than it's supposed to be.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dan7el posted:

What I'm curious about is why the heck the powers-that-be gave her such a weapon in the first place. Also, it seems to me, because of her unique birth circumstances (defined in this episode as the union of a buddha (I'm guessing old-Koto is the buddha) and something-else-which I can't remember -- but it seems like she's far more than a normal human would be -- that young Koto may, in fact, be the only existence capable of handling said large and destructive mallet.

She's the offspring of a god and a Buddha. Koto being the god; Myoue being the buddha.I'm too lazy to double check what they're actually saying, but god and buddha are what's translated.
Koto was basically a drawing by Myoue given a body by a Bodhisattva which is essentially a god. Myoue was an enlightened individual which makes him a buddha.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think its the other way around. A Bodhisattva is a few steps short of being an actual Buddha and the being that once was Myoue would be a god.

What Inari says at the end of the preview about "I love you, my other me" is probably confirmation about my idea that Inari and Koto together form the entirety of what used to be Myoue. So whatever "accident" that Myoue went trough split him in half and took Koto1s powers with it.

Prince of Failure
Mar 3, 2008
Goddamn this is easily the best show of the season next to Kill la Kill. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ending of each episode where that little guitar riff comes in before something AWESOME happens and it cuts to the ED (this week was no exception)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Welp

I had a feeling those dark overtones surrounding Inari weren't red herrings. What a horribly bleak episode with an amazing finish. I cant wait to see what sort of resolution they can wring from this

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Father of the fuckin' year right here, folks.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He just firmly believes his kids should learn by doing. :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Anyone wondering what song plays near the end of the episode, its called The Secret of My Life by Aimee Blackschleger. What a great scene.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sindai posted:

He just firmly believes his kids should learn by doing. :colbert:

Yeah, why can't all parents destroy everything their kids knew to get them to live their own lives? :yayclod:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah this episode was fantastic. The whole family dynamic is fantastic. Really loved Kurama and Yase's interactions with Myoue.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I have no idea what is going on anymore. I did until the end of last episode, and this one just confused me more.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, this show feels like it was written by animators.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You don't get it? I thought this one explained everything.

Inari and the head priest are gods. The head priest is concerned with maintaining creation, Inari has the power of creation and destruction (as represented by the beads and the hammer respectively, and is perturbed having created life, that life would continue and create itself without his action, thus making him unneeded. His power becomes a burden to him. Buddha creates Koto to soften Inari's heart with the power of love.

On a whim, under the influence of Koto, he decides to save Yakushima, creating first the two siblings, and the mirror Kyoto, to make him 'happy'. He also transfers to him the divine power of creation. Mirror Kyoto is a forbidden thirteenth plane, connected with the others, such that damage done to mirror Kyoto is also done to the entire multiverse. Koto foresees destruction if she remains in Mirror Kyoto, and so they both leave. Yakushima resists the power - he is angry already about the whole immortality thing, he doesn't want the power of a god as well.

Later Inari has a child with Koto (Koto2). Koto2 inherits from Koto the borrowed existence from the Buddha, and so forces Koto to reside on the moon. Inari is disgusted to see the creation of life not directly by his own hand, but over time becomes fond of her, conferring upon her the power of destruction.

By chance Koto2 gets to Mirror Kyoto, causing damage to the fabric of all of reality to enable her own entry, and so that Koto could be with them. Thus she fulfils the terms of the prophecy.

Seeing Koto2 threaten the entire multiverse for the city created to make Yakushima happy, Inari is convinced that there is no longer any particular reason to hold any loyalty to his brother and maintain the world. Forcing Koto2 to destroy Mirror Kyoto, and therefore the multiverse, he compels Yakushima to decide - either take on his responsibility and so the power of creation, or get what both he and Inari want: death.

TL;DR Inari is an arse, this is his way to retire.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Bless you sir! :worship:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I love you Fangz.

I saw most of the bits and pieces of the puzzle but I couldn't figure out it all fit together. Thanks for the explanation, it was most helpful.

Also, Inari is indeed an arse. BTW, what did he do to his brother, the head priest? When he did the same to Koto Jr., it allowed him to, I assume, superficially take control of her and have her destroy Mirror Kyoto. Did he just want to disable him so he couldn't interfere?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Everytime The Secret of My Life plays I get a bit teary-eyed. It's such a poignant song. I completely agree with Fangz' summary of the story. What's interesting to me is how central Yakushimaru is to the overall plot. Seems to me that his older siblings solely exist for his benefit -- and they essentially know this.

The best part is, for me, how Yakushimaru and 2Koto get along so well.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Caught up on a few weeks of anime today. This show went places the OVA/ONA series didn't even hint of. :drat:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Episode 10 up on Crunchyroll. It is literally perfect.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
And so it ends. This is certainly a classic.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Wrapped up nicely, this show is wonderful and I don't think there will be another one like it. One of the best shows of the year.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Haha, I see that being bad fathers runs in the Family... Also, domestic violence solves everything in the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Definitely one of my top anime of 2013. Gonna miss having it to look forward to every week.

• Locked thread