Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

Also Yuri Tsukikage is way cooler than Homura Akemi.

I disagree, based on the fact that she lacks initiative and also, Homura's got more (or at least, bigger) flaws which makes her more interesting. I thought Yuri had a lot of potential (and being older was a big plus) but at the end of the day (or show if you will) she really didn't accomplish much, and was the reactionary party in every conflict. Also unlike Madoka where Homura's issues were at least in part self-caused, the ending of Heartcatch felt a lot like just making GBS threads on Yuri for no good reason (which is more a criticism of the storyline than character, but hey).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Homura is a thoroughly unhealthy obsessive stalker. Yuri takes so long to get over her poo poo that the patient mentor character who keeps insisting that she should open up to the others on her own eventually just up and explains everything to them in an effort to resolve that plot point already. In conclusion, Erika is clearly the coolest. :colbert:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

How many here have seen the Heartcatch movie? Yuri gets some really cool scenes in that.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

How many here have seen the Heartcatch movie? Yuri gets some really cool scenes in that.

I have it on Blu-ray.

Olivier is such an adorable kid. You just want to give him a big hug.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

Mr. Fortitude posted:

My only real issue with Heartcatch is how Sunshine was handled. She appears overpowered and then quickly just fades to the background without much of a presence.

See, this was a huge reason why I couldn't enjoy Heartcatch. It wasn't just the OP way she was presented, but the incredibly creepy implications behind her transformation. The director of Ojamajo Doremi has done a lot of similar things in terms of being comfortable with yourself and allowing yourself to break traditional gender norms without it ever being as creepy as Cure Sunshine was handled. For me, it felt like it was presented as wrong that Itsuki was doing traditionally masculine things, and that she should go be more traditionally feminine because that was the 'correct' way to be. The fact that they took a girl who was doing a lot of traditionally masculine things and then changed her into what looked like an actual fetish costume + stilettos with long blonde hair and a baby fairy was incredibly creepy to me. Rather than emphasize that it was still okay that she did do traditionally masculine things, it felt like they were portraying the 'correct' way to be a woman.

I felt like Smile Precure and Ojamajo Doremi handled the concept of "it doesn't matter what gender you are, you can do what you like and be who you like as long as you love yourself" a lot better than Heartcatch did. I understand they were going for a be true to yourself sort of lesson, but it came off as creepy and fetishy rather than heartwarming as Doremi did it.

That and I legitimately could not stand Cure Marine, but that's mostly because I worked with very small children in Japan and the messages they took away from Cure Marine were awful.

I'm in a very small minority in that I just can't enjoy Heartcatch in any way, but I'm glad a lot of other people took enough away from it. If it gets people involved in magical girl shows, I honestly can't complain too much.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Tree Huffer posted:

Rather than emphasize that it was still okay that she did do traditionally masculine things, it felt like they were portraying the 'correct' way to be a woman.

Japan is pretty staunchly conservative in their traditional gender roles, especially for women. It's not really a good excuse, but it is kind of inescapable. Off the top of my head, I can only think of a handful of anime tomboys that didn't have a "Let's get her to wear a dress" subplot at some point. And most of those were fully grown adult characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It felt to me more like they were trying to say it was okay to be both? Itsuki isn't that stereotypical 'prince' type character, is the thing, and she isn't even really a tomboy. She pretty clearly likes girly-rear end poo poo, and her subplot is about accepting that. It isn't about the correct way to be a woman, it's about the fact that Itsuki wasn't happy with who she was and who she portrayed to others.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tree Huffer posted:

See, this was a huge reason why I couldn't enjoy Heartcatch. It wasn't just the OP way she was presented, but the incredibly creepy implications behind her transformation. The director of Ojamajo Doremi has done a lot of similar things in terms of being comfortable with yourself and allowing yourself to break traditional gender norms without it ever being as creepy as Cure Sunshine was handled. For me, it felt like it was presented as wrong that Itsuki was doing traditionally masculine things, and that she should go be more traditionally feminine because that was the 'correct' way to be. The fact that they took a girl who was doing a lot of traditionally masculine things and then changed her into what looked like an actual fetish costume + stilettos with long blonde hair and a baby fairy was incredibly creepy to me. Rather than emphasize that it was still okay that she did do traditionally masculine things, it felt like they were portraying the 'correct' way to be a woman.

I felt like Smile Precure and Ojamajo Doremi handled the concept of "it doesn't matter what gender you are, you can do what you like and be who you like as long as you love yourself" a lot better than Heartcatch did. I understand they were going for a be true to yourself sort of lesson, but it came off as creepy and fetishy rather than heartwarming as Doremi did it.

That and I legitimately could not stand Cure Marine, but that's mostly because I worked with very small children in Japan and the messages they took away from Cure Marine were awful.

I'm in a very small minority in that I just can't enjoy Heartcatch in any way, but I'm glad a lot of other people took enough away from it. If it gets people involved in magical girl shows, I honestly can't complain too much.

Yeah I agree but on the flip side, there was Kenji Ban, that overly masculine guy who wanted to draw magical girl manga based on Tsubomi and Erika and his whole arc was him and his mother coming to terms with that. He was probably my favorite victim of the week in that show.

Still doesn't really make up for how Itsuki was portrayed though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tree Huffer posted:

I dunno, I felt like it was the opposite, the show was saying that the role of total masculinity was forced on her because of her preconceptions about how the heir to a family should act, she really did like stereotypically girly stuff and that is ok. It's about being able to be honest about what you like and who you are regardless of whether that fits with stereotypes or goes against them. She liked martial arts, dressing like a boy, cute stuff like puppies and cute girl clothes and being able to take the pressure of being head of the family off of her chronically sick brother, and all of those things are just fine damnit.

As far as her costume went I alway chalked it up to her wanting to be able to dress in a really girly way sometimes and her precure transformation was the opportunity to do that. Also because she is normally so withdrawn, when she is a precure it's her chance to stand out and look however the hell she wants because people see her as "Cure Sunshine" and not "Itsuki" during that time.

Edsger W. Dijkstra
May 2, 2007
I enjoyed Heartcatch but there was one thing that kinda weirded me out (spoilers about the end):the way they treated Moonlight/Yuri. It's like nothing good can happen to her. You reunited with your fairy? Not really, he'll disappear right away. You just found out dark Cure was your clone/sister? Too bad she dies. And your long lost father? Nope, dead too. The poor Yuri can't get a break from crushingly sad events!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tree Huffer posted:

I'm glad you did take the time to complain, though! You have very valid issues with Itsuki/Sunshine's portrayal and thank you for posting them. I totally agree that her costume was really bad, especially given her personality and circumstances.

And I'd hate to think that Marine's brattyness is what your very small children in Japan took away from that character. Especially since the late season episode where she loses her Tact results in the odd message that it's okay she's a brat and doesn't clean her room and such. :psyduck:

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

DokiDoki is the first Precure series since Futari Wa/Max Heart that was just too annoying to watch and at least Futari Wa/Max Heart had the excuse of it being new and still trying to find it's groove. Doki just feels schizophrenic like it doesn't know what it wishes to be or what direction to go in and it builds up promising plot points only to discard them for something else. I'm also not overly keen on the fascination the show has with Mana either, I know she's the main character and all but too much of Doki seems to be about only her.

Every other season is campy fun though and I like Heartcatch, Splash Star and Yes 5 about equally.

I dropped the show when they decided to drop Regina. I was enjoying how they were developing her. Then suddenly they sealed her away and had Cure Ace magic her way into Mana's family. It completely turned me off.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kazakirinyancat posted:

I dropped the show when they decided to drop Regina. I was enjoying how they were developing her. Then suddenly they sealed her away and had Cure Ace magic her way into Mana's family. It completely turned me off.

That's another thing that bothers me about DokiDoki, I don't mind the show having some red herrings to Ace's identity but then it turns out she's just some random girl the show never even introduced yet?

Now the show is hinting that Mana is a reincarnation or something of a previous Cure and it honestly feels like a mess, like too many writers with completely different ideas of what they wanted DokiDoki to be about.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
The whole taking care of a mysterious magical baby deal doesn't really bug me. It's pretty much exactly the same situation as in the second season of Ojamajo Doremi. Anyway, this week's episode focuses on Raquel instead, which makes me happy. I was worried that his transformation was going to be completely forgotten.

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked
I think one of the big things about Itsuki and even Tsubomi is that at first they go through fairly extreme image changes, as if to try and force out their desire for personal change, but then by the end it gets dialed back to a more neutral place that's more comfortable for both characters. If you don't watch to the end you never get to see this, but I felt like it was a really great way to cap off their respective stories.

When we first meet Tsubomi, she appears shy and mousey, which Erika changes by giving her contacts, new clothes, and a different hairdo. In the final episode though, we see that she's kept the new hairstyle but gone back to wearing glasses. The makeover did its job and gave her a different outlook, which allowed Tsubomi to find some middle ground which was more to her satisfaction.

In terms of Itsuki, as others have said she actually did like those girly things and felt that she had to suppress them because she wasn't "supposed" to act that way as the heir to her family's dojo. In the character designer's artbook, he mentions that Itsuki's transformation is meant to show that she gets the most joy out of transforming into a Precure compared to the others. When we look at Itsuki in the final episode, she's decided to grow her hair out and start wearing a girl's uniform, but is still shown being the heir to her family's martial arts style and is as strong a fighter as ever. Like Tsubomi, in the end she decided not to go with either extreme but found a balance that's right for her.

I think especially with Heartcatch it's not as simple as saying the show teaches kids to behave a certain specific way because the characters grow and change throughout the series, and not in a way which is a simple linear progression from one type of person to another, and that each person's growth is different. This is why when they they fight their mirror images late in the series, the lesson Tsubomi has to learn is not the same as the one by the rest of the Cures, who were primarily about accepting their own flaws. Tsubomi's resolution instead is knowing that she has changed, that she isn't quite the same as she used to be, but that she'll never begrudge her old self because her history is a part of herself too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Caithness posted:

The whole taking care of a mysterious magical baby deal doesn't really bug me. It's pretty much exactly the same situation as in the second season of Ojamajo Doremi. Anyway, this week's episode focuses on Raquel instead, which makes me happy. I was worried that his transformation was going to be completely forgotten.

It was a fun episode, though I'm not sure what the takeaway was supposed to be. Especially wirh the way Mana was so upbeat early on in stating that Raquel loves Rikka the best.

And of course fairies can't get colds. Everyone knows idiots can't get colds. :v:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

[ Spoiler for the next episode of DokiDoki. Deal with it. ]

Episode 37 of Dokidoki was pretty funny. Even though the long running plot is kind of all over the place, Dokidoki has had some fantastic single episodes. And it seems that, according to the preview, that it's picking up the what happened to Regina plot.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
This episode was delightfully silly. Ban-kun returning as a carrot farmer was a highlight, but my favorite part had to be when the girls rushed into a greenhouse to do their transformation sequence.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
It's pretty easy to look at Splash Star as a remake of Futari wa Precure, Smile as a remake of Yes! Precure 5, and even DokiDoki as a remake of Fresh. So you'd think the next season to get a treatment like that would be Heartcatch, or maybe Suite, right?

Well according to the rumors going around now, 2014's Precure series will be a sequel to Smile. Making it essentially a remake of 5GoGo.

I really like Smile's characters, but I still think I'd prefer a sequel to Splash Star if that's the route they're taking.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There's some rumors of 'Happiness Charge' being the name of the next series, but I don't know where they come from originally. A HeartCatch or Suite -styled show would be great. Even though I did love Smile to pieces, I feel like the character relationships get a lot more focus when there are less than five cures.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

There's some rumors of 'Happiness Charge' being the name of the next series, but I don't know where they come from originally.

Toei filed a trademark for Happiness Charge Precure.

The Smile rumor is because of http://www.otakuboshi.com/product/2802 revealing that there are 5 characters.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Episode 40 tries to dip into Macross territory.

Also, winged forms already? Aren't those usually reserved for the final boss? Unless that's what Regina is...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
For believing someone was good deep down, you four get an upgrade...uh, and so does Ace, who didn't.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Caithness posted:

Also, winged forms already? Aren't those usually reserved for the final boss? Unless that's what Regina is...

I was disappointed that this didn't come accompanied by more fabulous costumes as well.

Justin_Brett posted:

For believing someone was good deep down, you four get an upgrade...uh, and so does Ace, who didn't.

This was really, really odd. Even if she did sort of come around in the end. Ace sort of just got it by association?

It looks like next episode might possibly feature Alice's lovely pad attack she got so long ago and we were promised that it would do an exciting new thing each and every time? Isn't the point of something like that run contrary to only ever using it once? None of the attacks have been reused, but in Rosetta's case it seems even more egregious that it hasn't been used more.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Potsticker posted:

It looks like next episode might possibly feature Alice's lovely pad attack she got so long ago and we were promised that it would do an exciting new thing each and every time? Isn't the point of something like that run contrary to only ever using it once? None of the attacks have been reused, but in Rosetta's case it seems even more egregious that it hasn't been used more.

Episode 41 spoilers: Of course she doesn't use it! :psyduck: This show is so slapped together it's amazing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Hopefully the next one doesn't lose its poo poo halfway through, I guess.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Halfway through is about when I started actually enjoying Dokidoki.

41 was suitably ridiculous. I wish Reina and her space-turboprop could become another sidekick like Sebastian.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The logo for next season's PreCure showed up finally.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm excited. Eagerly anticipating seeing what the new outfits will look like. When DokiDoki's were first revealed I thought Sword was the only one whose hair and outfit matched well.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

And it looks like 2 designs have surfaced, thanks to 3ds skins via amazon.

http://www.moetron.com/uploads/20131128_precure01.jpg
https://www.moetron.com/uploads/20131128_precure02.jpg

The designs certainly seem busy, they remind me of Smile in some ways. Hopefully this means a return to a 2-cure show.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Hopefully this means a return to a 2-cure show.

There's at least 4, check the colors in the logo heart. There's also a leaked merch pic for a gashapon set listing 5 main characters.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Two to start with, then!

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Just watched the first ep of pretty cure heartcatch, hw is this poo poo so goooood.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

You know, seeing how Pretty Cure series are kinda as cyclical as Fire Emblem about which previous entries they borrow the most before bringing their stuff, I'm not surprised if Happiness Charge will try to take pointers from Heartcatch with the reveal of the first two Cures...

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Themes: form change, dancing, ..fruit

Gaim Precure, apparently.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
You speak like that's a bad thing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Those outfits don't look bad at all. This looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lollipop Hip Hop

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cherry Flamenco

Coming off the heels of Samurai Flamenco, that form will have a lot to live up to. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is that a Marvel-anime tie-in on the side?

So if there are 5 girls, will there be a grand total of 15 costumes?

• Locked thread