Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I haven't been following HaCha for a while now, I think ep 35 was the last I watched. Which later episodes are skippable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I feel out of Happiness Charge right after the yellow one showed up. I'm just curious, did anything ever come of that "A Precure must not fall in love" thing?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I feel out of Happiness Charge right after the yellow one showed up. I'm just curious, did anything ever come of that "A Precure must not fall in love" thing?

They had a few episodes later working with that and (mostly) resolving it. However I don't remember the resolution as very satisfying.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is basically what happened with me. I love precure and all, but this season was just unbearable for me. I'm really upset that such a great thing like the dress-up theme got used for this one. And then the foreshadowing of the relationship stuff really put me off too, since they just force it in the conversation out of nowhere. And then Honey showed up and that horrible, way too long and super boring song was the dropping point (especially since I hear it happens often).

Dose the action of the show ever improve over all the later episodes so far? I mean, the eye lasers were fun the first time, but when it's the same stuff every single time, it got old fast.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to believe that anything will top Heartcatch for me in future seasons but I'll probably try to hop on board again when the next series starts.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to believe that anything will top Heartcatch for me in future seasons but I'll probably try to hop on board again when the next series starts.

Nothing will ever top Heartcatch, but I still found Smile and Suite enjoyable series to watch every week. DokiDoki and HaCha both lost my attention. I'll be giving Princess a shot, but it's not the high-profile thing that Precure used to be for me.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The jump in quality from 42 to 43 is some sort of amazing.

I'm really disappointed that the Oreski Trio ended up just fading away to nothingness. They weren't fairies, or normal people, or even just weird evil dimensional beings. It was really weird. (spoiled for people who might catch up)

I hope that

Hrist posted:

This is basically what happened with me. I love precure and all, but this season was just unbearable for me. I'm really upset that such a great thing like the dress-up theme got used for this one. And then the foreshadowing of the relationship stuff really put me off too, since they just force it in the conversation out of nowhere. And then Honey showed up and that horrible, way too long and super boring song was the dropping point (especially since I hear it happens often).

Dose the action of the show ever improve over all the later episodes so far? I mean, the eye lasers were fun the first time, but when it's the same stuff every single time, it got old fast.

The whole "PreCure must not fall in love thing" is sort of the background noise to the series as a whole. It's a big part of what Queen Mirage is all about and how she got the way she is. Honey and Namekeldar are both noted as having loves in the past, but Honey it turns out just really loved a puppy and in episode 42 Namekeldar dissolves into dust without whatever tragic love he had ever being explored. As for the action, it doesn't really go anywhere after energy swords and eye lasers. There's a few episodes that have some really well animated action sequences, but they're few and far between.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Go! Princess Precure designs finally leaked.

Those two-tone plastecine not fringes are kind of weirding me out.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Looks worse than happiness charge.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Pink is Cure Flora, yellow is Cure Twinkle, and blue is Cure Mermaid. I like their costumes, but the hair is really over the top.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It looks like the fairies are Puff and Aroma. I really like the full dresses, but the skirted versions less so. I imagine it makes them easier to fight it, though! The hair is like someone thought that styles in Smile and DokiDoki just were not big enough.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah they have a 2-stage transformation apparently, full dresses for princess form and skirts for the fighting form. There's probably a lot more info on the pages those images are from but people who leak things never take full pictures. Toei has stated that this is "the biggest change in the PreCure series since Fresh" so who knows what they've done.

Should be about 1-2 weeks until the staff is revealed when the website updates for Christmas.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Can't even guess who the character designer is... doesn't really match any of the previous one's styles after all. Maybe Kawamura.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Those casual outfits are just horrible. Minami's outfit is way too stuffy for a junior high student. All of the girls look like they just stepped out of the 80s.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/princess_precure/character/

Toei gave me what I truly wanted for Christmas: Yuta Tanaka is series director.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Hrist posted:

And then Honey showed up and that horrible, way too long and super boring song was the dropping point (especially since I hear it happens often).

Cure Honey's song is only in 3 episodes and then another one some time later, so it didn't bug me nearly as much as it could have. The group attack starts to involve singing at around episode 39, though, and despite the sudden jump in quality at 43 they're still using it every episode.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV_PXzz6fYE

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I'm simply loving happiness charge. yuuko is easily my favorite for her expressions and I love her singing voice.

though embrace love is probably my favorite track on the albums.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Happiness Charge broke the cardinal rule of Precure attacks: you can tell if it's going to work by the music that's playing.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

GoPri ED https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcQwfYp65ts

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gokigenyo PreCure's first episode was amazing all the way through.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Tanaka is a brilliant director.

Like the only real complaint I have is the CG attack but I think that has to do with changing times in kids entertainment in Japan (the two new franchises-for-girls that are doing well both have CG) and is something that's going to stay. Hopefully when they get their wands and have an attack that isnt a form change it wont be CG anymore.

Oh and the other issue is that all their main CG guys are working on movies right now (Precure Allstars & Dragonball Z) so they gave GoPri stuff to the newbies.

aers fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 1, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The CG did seem a little-- less refined than what we had gotten in Happiness Charge, so that makes sense.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah. They actually posted the All Stars theme dance here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJRX6oRL1Rs and it looks a lot closer to the HaCha stuff.

The guy who directed the first HaCha ED and also all the form changes tweeted that the CG team was "strange" this year or something like that. Unfortunately he didn't direct GoPri ED1 which is why it was pretty tame compared to HaCha's.

On the plus side I love the ED song and the OP in general was pretty good!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ah, that video is pretty great. Thanks.

The GoPri ED was a surprise, but I really enjoyed it once it got past the beginning part. The OP all through was so great as well.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That fight scene animation was nice. The characters aren't really clicking with me though, so probably not going to watch more than 1-2 more eps of GoPri.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

I really enjoyed the episode. It clicked with me right away, unlike the first episodes of the last two series.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
well that was one hell of a fight scene
If this series manages to be that good the rest of the way I'll be hella down for it

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

aers posted:

Oh and the other issue is that all their main CG guys are working on movies right now (Precure Allstars & Dragonball Z) so they gave GoPri stuff to the newbies.

I thought the new ending was a step back toward the uncanny valley compared to what we've been getting the last few years. I guess this explains why.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25473392

Obviously GoPri won't be thematically close to Utena because the producers wouldn't let it go anywhere close to that route but I like this video. There's a lot of similar imagery between the two on the surface which is neat.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay this is turning out to be kind of fun after all. I loved Kirara declaring she wasn't interested in all that magical girl stuff, just wanted to go back to work. It's a thing I've wanted to see for a good while.

On the other hand, the villains are really bland this time, compared to Happinesscharge. The trio of henchmen there was colorful and they had real, defined personalities.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kirara's reaction to everything has been pretty great. I get what you're saying about the villains, badguy trios tend to just be basic archetypes and Close is extra generic so far. At least Wolfrun from Smile had the big bad wolf thing going for him.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
It seems like the best fight animation always happens when it's one on one.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

A couple months and Go! Princess continues to be such a great show.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Caithness posted:

It seems like the best fight animation always happens when it's one on one.

Itaoka's group fight part in episode uh..13? where Twilight shows up for the first time is pretty good!

But yeah they're letting Fujii do some crazy 1v1 stuff. The fight storyboarding in general has taken a step up this season, and it helps that the animation schedule isn't on fire like HaCha was.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I do wish the CG was as good as HaCha's. I mean it's not super terrible or anything.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

For some bizarre reason they didn't use the All Star movie models (which are what HaCha used). Dunno what the deal is.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
In this week's episode, Haruka gets Yuri powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Never watched a single episode of any Pretty Cure show. Did see this, though. Thought you might enjoy it.

• Locked thread