Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm on bored, I'm not bored!

Is DoReMi still the best place for subs or is there somewhere better?

Doremi are pretty bad but so far they're the only group who are picking up HaCha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I like that the transformation sequences have a sort of salon feel to them, with the giant glowing frock they wear until the outfit is done, then gets thrown off in the end. All it's missing is Ribbon with some scissors styling their hair. :sparkles:

aers posted:

Doremi are pretty bad but so far they're the only group who are picking up HaCha.

Could be worse! Could be TV-N!

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 2, 2014

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Is DoReMi still the best place for subs or is there somewhere better?

There aren't any subs yet, so we have no idea.

Anyway, being very Heartcatch isn't a bad thing. Not for nothing is Heartcatch recommended for new watchers.
Did anyone else notice that parts of the real world were converted to whatever kind of terrain the bad guys wanted? Does this mean that the cures (other than princess, who already has) might fail from time to time?
What if this turns into Gaim Precure? Or better, Decade Precure, with form change cards.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lisandra_brave posted:

There aren't any subs yet, so we have no idea.

Anyway, being very Heartcatch isn't a bad thing. Not for nothing is Heartcatch recommended for new watchers.
Did anyone else notice that parts of the real world were converted to whatever kind of terrain the bad guys wanted? Does this mean that the cures (other than princess, who already has) might fail from time to time?
What if this turns into Gaim Precure? Or better, Decade Precure, with form change cards.

I thought Decade Precure was a certainty since the cards were revealed! It's interesting that the show starts with both the PreCure and badguys being common knowledge and part of everyday life rather than just appearing from another world in the first episode. It feels like a natural progression from Heartcatch giving the PreCure in its series a lineage and history.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Even the derping through mooks in the OP reminded me of Heartcatch. I've got a good feeling about this season.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Just watched the first episode with subtitles, man this is great. Excellent designs and fun characters. Hope it doesn't mess it up like Dokidoki did. I also really hope another group picks it up, "Terribad" is really annoying me.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

dordreff posted:

Just watched the first episode with subtitles, man this is great. Excellent designs and fun characters. Hope it doesn't mess it up like Dokidoki did. I also really hope another group picks it up, "Terribad" is really annoying me.

Terribad is modern childish slang, I think it fits pretty good. At the very least it annoys me less than some of the localization decisions made in a certain tokusatsu show.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

Potsticker posted:

Terribad is modern childish slang, I think it fits pretty good. At the very least it annoys me less than some of the localization decisions made in a certain tokusatsu show.

What, Ryouma Wärring isn't to your liking?

On the Precure front, the sub wars are already starting, and there is even a raw war. If nothing else, the Third generation of Precure is gonna be fun for the drama associated with it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lisandra_brave posted:

What, Ryouma Wärring isn't to your liking?

I love that he did that, actually. It's so absurd that it floated into hilariousness.

As far as PreCure goes, what are the points of contention? I haven't watched the subs yet, but I can't imagine there being anything to create any problems. Or is it just personal drama between people working on them?

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

Potsticker posted:

As far as PreCure goes, what are the points of contention? I haven't watched the subs yet, but I can't imagine there being anything to create any problems. Or is it just personal drama between people working on them?

Doremi continues to be terrible at encoding, so Commie put out their own raws with a comment about no other raws having VFR, despite having commented on Doki Doki 49 that they agreed to never do another 50 episode childrens show. USP Raws then put out a higher quality version in response with a snarky comment. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
To be precise, it was the translator of the two-man Commie DokiDoki team who swore not to pick up another season. The timer/typesetter/everything else guy is still willing to do it if he can get another translator (and is also the person subbing the Heartcatch re-broadcast).

Beyond that, since there is currently one option, what we have right now can't really be considered "sub wars". Just petulant children on /a/.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Lisandra_brave posted:

Doremi continues to be terrible at encoding, so Commie put out their own raws with a comment about no other raws having VFR, despite having commented on Doki Doki 49 that they agreed to never do another 50 episode childrens show. USP Raws then put out a higher quality version in response with a snarky comment. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Wait how do you know USP's is higher quality?

As for whether someone else is going to sub it, well, I'm leaning on people.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

aers posted:

Wait how do you know USP's is higher quality?

It's like 15mb bigger man, think of the bits.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Potsticker posted:

It bothers me a lot more, probably just because it's repeated more often. Also it doesn't lend itself to anything as funny as "Ryoma Wärring".

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

dordreff posted:

It bothers me a lot more, probably just because it's repeated more often. Also it doesn't lend itself to anything as funny as "Ryoma Wärring".

When I think about it, it's weird that I thought it was dumb that Griton was changed to Ornac given that I had no qualms about Majolina's localization in Smile. I guess it really depends on how much of the show you're watching you're listening to-- and how much you expect to be discussing it with either term.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I approve of Heartcatch version 2.

I wonder if it can continue the trend of making me like it better as the season goes on, though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Finally caught the first episode, and yeah I can see why people are calling it Heartcatch 2.0. It seems to be taking a lot of inspiration from that, not that that's a bad thing. The way the cards have two layers that fold in makes me think there is certainly going to be some sort of form change gimmick.

Though the one thing they didn't copy from Heartcatch was having as catchy of a transformation theme. This one isn't bad, but Heartcatch's was immediately an earworm for me. Though maybe this one will grown on me over the course of the series, as it stands now it's just...kind of there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Finally caught the first episode, and yeah I can see why people are calling it Heartcatch 2.0. It seems to be taking a lot of inspiration from that, not that that's a bad thing. The way the cards have two layers that fold in makes me think there is certainly going to be some sort of form change gimmick.

This has already been confirmed. The forms were in the ED, man!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So the general consensus is that it's good? I kind of gave up on Precure after how terrible Doki was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So the general consensus is that it's good? I kind of gave up on Precure after how terrible Doki was.
It's only one episode so far but it's pretty fun.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

So [seaside] is awesome and you should have fun with them

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I almost forgot a new Precure was starting! Just finished episode 1.

There's a lot of details that I liked about this setup. I like that the story essentially starts En Median Res with Precure and the bad guys already established as a thing that everyone acknowledges exists. I like that the primary heroine kinda sucks at being a heroine. I like that the new Precure is basically an ascended fangirl. On the other hand, I wasn't particularly wowed by the transformations or attack animations, which is pretty egregious considering I'm sure I'll be seeing them a lot. The way they established the girls' friendship also kind of irked me for multiple reasons, but I guess I can't really be too harsh on the script for a children's show. Overall, probably one of the better openers of the season and definitely one of the better openers in the franchise. There's a lot of potential for development in the cast and the setting, I look forward to seeing where they take it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The secrets of the Happiness Charge transformation, revealed!

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Ranka Lee is my favorite pretty cure.

Three Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 6, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Two episodes in and the pink Cure still hasn't defeated a monster! This is right up there with HeartCatch for turning the Pink/Blue dynamic on its ear. Hime is also giving Tsubomi a run for her money as the Worst PreCure in history. :v:

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

Some subs are out, although they're a bit too localized for my tastes. Oh well, you take what you can get.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Word has it that Doremi has a second subtitle track for those that don't like too much localization.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This is like the first precure I've watched since the first and I already really loving hate blue.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Potsticker posted:

Two episodes in and the pink Cure still hasn't defeated a monster! This is right up there with HeartCatch for turning the Pink/Blue dynamic on its ear.

Nah, the character dynamic is basically as normal. Pink is the heart of the team and Blue provides contrast. What they DO seem to be doing, that it's really, really dumb that Pretty Cure hasn't properly done before, is actually for real having two equal focus main characters.

What Heartcatch did was actually a lot more clever than just flipping a relationship around. It left what the colours meant alone while seeing how far away from the norm it could get the characters while still having them fill those roles. It did the same thing with Yellow (the extra cutesy one) too.

quote:

Hime is also giving Tsubomi a run for her money as the Worst PreCure in history. :v:

Worst Precure Rankings
  1. Berry
  2. Princess
  3. Blossom
:colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

wateyad posted:

Nah, the character dynamic is basically as normal. Pink is the heart of the team and Blue provides contrast. What they DO seem to be doing, that it's really, really dumb that Pretty Cure hasn't properly done before, is actually for real having two equal focus main characters.

What Heartcatch did was actually a lot more clever than just flipping a relationship around. It left what the colours meant alone while seeing how far away from the norm it could get the characters while still having them fill those roles. It did the same thing with Yellow (the extra cutesy one) too.

You're right, looking it from that perspective Pink is still the heart and Blue provides contrast, but rarely is that contrast a more negative one. I hope we get to see Princess grow to be less bratty and self-centered, though given Erika's lack of any real development in that area I'm not exactly getting my hopes up.

wateyad posted:

Worst Precure Rankings
  1. Berry
  2. Princess
  3. Blossom
:colbert:

I haven't seen Fresh, so I'll bite. What was so bad about Berry?

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Potsticker posted:

I haven't seen Fresh, so I'll bite. What was so bad about Berry?

Tsubomi and Hime both have some aspect of themselves that entitles them to be a Precure, it just takes a little (or a lot, in Hime's case) pushing to bring it out. Berry isn't as bad in early fights because in Fresh the transformation is explicitly stated to teach them how to fight but as far as I could tell Miki's qualifications to be a Precure are:
  • Is friends with Love
  • Has an affinity for the colour blue
Her main character trait seems to be being self-centered and not in that fun, self-aggrandising but will happily give you the world as long as you don't ask her to clean her room or do her homework way that Erika is. Her catchphrase is "I'm perfect" and she spends most of her character focus time worrying that she might not be as good at Precuring as the others or being upset that they got their power-ups already and she didn't.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Newest HapCha They're not form changes, just special moves.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Newest HapCha They're not form changes, just special moves.

I'm so incredibly confused by the need to use CG for 10 seconds of stock but whatever.

Episode was great.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

Doremi subs are out. Commie is likely also picking up HapCha.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Episode 4:
Ninja PreCard was hilarious. Smokebomb de gozaru! And Lovely was pretty brutal holding those Choiark by their collars and slamming their faces into the Saiark. It's still really fun. Though the form changes continue to be dissapointing. I guess they're just going to be used to take out masses of Choiark? I don't get why the CG is being used at all.

As for the OP: Cure Moonlight! Or at least, just her face. She was oddly close to the camera for her whole intro. Black, Dream, Passion and Moonlight is the order so far. So odd.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Ugh this is a really good PreCure and I hope the ratings pick up after falling off hard last week.

Umakoshi animated the pre-op bit which is why it actually looks on-model compared to all the All Star movie renditions of characters from that show.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

aers posted:

Ugh this is a really good PreCure and I hope the ratings pick up after falling off hard last week.

Say it isn't so! Hapuri has had a good four episodes now, and it's been fun so far, so I'd hate to think it wasn't doing well ratings-wise. I wonder what is turning viewers off about the show, or if it's just the same ratings slide that PreCure has been suffering.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Say it isn't so! Hapuri has had a good four episodes now, and it's been fun so far, so I'd hate to think it wasn't doing well ratings-wise. I wonder what is turning viewers off about the show, or if it's just the same ratings slide that PreCure has been suffering.

HaCha 1 - 5.8
HaCha 2 - 5.4
HaCha 3 - didn't rank in top 10; cutoff was a 4.6 so its below that

You're right that ratings are just down in general (its not just PreCure, ratings have been trending down for the majority of anime for the past 10+ years at least). Historical PreCure data can be found here.

aers fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 23, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

aers posted:

HaCha 1 - 5.8
HaCha 2 - 5.4
HaCha 3 - didn't rank in top 10; cutoff was a 4.6 so its below that

You're right that ratings are just down in general (its not just PreCure, ratings have been trending down for the majority of anime for the past 10+ years at least). Historical PreCure data can be found here.

Oh, I see that chart posted from time to time, but not since DokiDoki ended. It looks like it doesn't have 48 for some reason. That one was pretty great and a good finale for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Oh, I see that chart posted from time to time, but not since DokiDoki ended. It looks like it doesn't have 48 for some reason. That one was pretty great and a good finale for the show.

It didn't rank and no one's leaked it, probably.

• Locked thread