Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Splash Star has A LOT in common with Futari wa but rather than being a bad rip off, I'd say it's more like the show they should have made in the first place.

Where Nagisa is weirdly pessimistic and keeps having to be told how cheerful and courageous she is, Saki just is that cheerful and courageous. Where Honoka is some kind of perfect human being, Mai is an actual character with flaws. Where the original show had an omnipresent, weirdly depressing atmosphere to it, Splash Star gradually builds up to become an unrelenting snowball of the sort of positivity you'd expect from this sort of thing.

It has a really slow start, probably the most aggravating mid-season lull in the franchise (and that's saying something) and an unfortunate predilection for deus ex machinae but it also has the most memorable set of antagonists in the franchise, some of the best fight scenes on the franchise, some surprisingly genuine heartwarming moments and Michiru and Kaoru.

Precure Tier List

Top Tier

Heartcatch -The best one that isn't just one big joke. I shouldn't need to elaborate in this thread.

Smile - A sincere celebration of the best kind of abject stupidity.

High Tier

Fresh - Dumb and bad in a lot of ways but silly and energetic enough to be a lot of fun anyway, the so bad it's good Precure. The world needs a spinoff that is just Scooby Doo but with the donut bros.

Splash Star - See above

All-Stars New Stage 1

Meh tier

Everything else

Trash tier

Futari wa / Max Heart - I'm pretty sure the creative staff would rather have been making a terrible, angsty Kamen Rider show.

Dokidoki - A horrible waste of good character concepts.

All-Stars DX 2

Actively making the world a worse place to live by virtue of existing tier

All-Stars DX 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

MadRhetoric posted:

Futari wa/Max Heart being a kind of dark, toku-esque magical girl anime was what gave the Pretty Cure series its subversive charm in the first place.

It was the first all-ages (read: not made for pedophiles or older women) magical girl anime that was aware of and allowed to openly embrace older audiences, as well as the logical next step from what Takeuchi had to fight for with Sailor Moon.

This is pretty much the opposite of the impression I've gotten from watching the shows. The whole Precure franchise (with the semi-exception of Heartcatch and the weird reverse exception of Smile) feels kind of at odds with itself. It's like they've ignored Sailor Moon-esque shows entirely and just kind of smashed together elements of the non-violent kind of magical girl show with elements of sentai/Kamen Rider in a way that doesn't really gel properly or like the shows are pitched too young for the sort of overall plots they usually go for. Being fascinated by this is actually what carried my interest through most of the shows, especially Futari wa, where the disconnect is at its most extreme.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Homura is a thoroughly unhealthy obsessive stalker. Yuri takes so long to get over her poo poo that the patient mentor character who keeps insisting that she should open up to the others on her own eventually just up and explains everything to them in an effort to resolve that plot point already. In conclusion, Erika is clearly the coolest. :colbert:

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Potsticker posted:

Two episodes in and the pink Cure still hasn't defeated a monster! This is right up there with HeartCatch for turning the Pink/Blue dynamic on its ear.

Nah, the character dynamic is basically as normal. Pink is the heart of the team and Blue provides contrast. What they DO seem to be doing, that it's really, really dumb that Pretty Cure hasn't properly done before, is actually for real having two equal focus main characters.

What Heartcatch did was actually a lot more clever than just flipping a relationship around. It left what the colours meant alone while seeing how far away from the norm it could get the characters while still having them fill those roles. It did the same thing with Yellow (the extra cutesy one) too.

quote:

Hime is also giving Tsubomi a run for her money as the Worst PreCure in history. :v:

Worst Precure Rankings
  1. Berry
  2. Princess
  3. Blossom
:colbert:

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Potsticker posted:

I haven't seen Fresh, so I'll bite. What was so bad about Berry?

Tsubomi and Hime both have some aspect of themselves that entitles them to be a Precure, it just takes a little (or a lot, in Hime's case) pushing to bring it out. Berry isn't as bad in early fights because in Fresh the transformation is explicitly stated to teach them how to fight but as far as I could tell Miki's qualifications to be a Precure are:
  • Is friends with Love
  • Has an affinity for the colour blue
Her main character trait seems to be being self-centered and not in that fun, self-aggrandising but will happily give you the world as long as you don't ask her to clean her room or do her homework way that Erika is. Her catchphrase is "I'm perfect" and she spends most of her character focus time worrying that she might not be as good at Precuring as the others or being upset that they got their power-ups already and she didn't.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
I'm guessing it's the Super Silhouette equivalent and they're all the same because the staff don't want the show to look lazy when a ton of generic precures we've never met before get drawn wearing it at some point during the inevitable multi-part finale.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Go! Princess Precure designs finally leaked.

Those two-tone plastecine not fringes are kind of weirding me out.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Caithness posted:

I'll give her at least one more episode before passing judgement, but so far Towa seems pretty lacking in personality compared to Setsuna or Ellen.

She hasn't actually had a chance to display any personality yet though? Like she literally became a character then was asleep.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Potsticker posted:

What is going on with Lock now?

It was already briefly established that he was just playing around before now, I guess they wanted to make it absolutely clear that was the case and now he means business because otherwise the villains wouldn't seem like much of a threat without Twilight. I kinda liked the villain scenes in this episode, it feels like they're being treated gradually more as characters over time.

Justin_Brett posted:

Lock better not be dying before Shut now, he's the only one of the three who's any good.

I can't see that happening unless Shut pulls a Bunbee and winds up surviving. Honestly I could sort of see him running away to volunteer as Towa's personal steward or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Caithness posted:

Shut isn't even a tenth as interesting as Bunbee, though.

Well no, he isn't as interesting at this point as Bunbee after two seasons but most of Bunbee's depth comes from GoGo. I think after this number of episodes Bunbee had just been demoted to comic relief lieutenant? Obviously Shut isn't going to get an entire second season but if they do pull a semi-face turn with him I imagine he'll get some not insignificant amount of face time and development in the process and I don't think it would be difficult to make him into an entertaining comic relief hanger on. All of this is obviously entirely hypothetical at this point. I'm not saying I think it's definitely going to happen, just that I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Honestly I think GoPri's biggest weakness up to this point has been a distinct lack of presence given to any character who isn't either a Precure or a fairy unless the episode is specifically about them. Poor Yui is just kind of there most of the time. I'm sort of vaguely hoping this is an artifact of the first half of the show mostly focusing hard on rounding out the main characters and that the secondary cast will be a little more relevant in the back half, not counting on it though.

• Locked thread