Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DokiDoki is the first Precure series since Futari Wa/Max Heart that was just too annoying to watch and at least Futari Wa/Max Heart had the excuse of it being new and still trying to find it's groove. Doki just feels schizophrenic like it doesn't know what it wishes to be or what direction to go in and it builds up promising plot points only to discard them for something else. I'm also not overly keen on the fascination the show has with Mana either, I know she's the main character and all but too much of Doki seems to be about only her.

Every other season is campy fun though and I like Heartcatch, Splash Star and Yes 5 about equally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I don't think even Toei knows what they are doing with Doki at this point. I appreciate that Doki tried to be more complex after the fun, simple slapstick nature of Smile but it's just a giant clusterfuck right now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

My only real issue with Heartcatch is how Sunshine was handled. She appears overpowered and then quickly just fades to the background without much of a presence.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

How many here have seen the Heartcatch movie? Yuri gets some really cool scenes in that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tree Huffer posted:

See, this was a huge reason why I couldn't enjoy Heartcatch. It wasn't just the OP way she was presented, but the incredibly creepy implications behind her transformation. The director of Ojamajo Doremi has done a lot of similar things in terms of being comfortable with yourself and allowing yourself to break traditional gender norms without it ever being as creepy as Cure Sunshine was handled. For me, it felt like it was presented as wrong that Itsuki was doing traditionally masculine things, and that she should go be more traditionally feminine because that was the 'correct' way to be. The fact that they took a girl who was doing a lot of traditionally masculine things and then changed her into what looked like an actual fetish costume + stilettos with long blonde hair and a baby fairy was incredibly creepy to me. Rather than emphasize that it was still okay that she did do traditionally masculine things, it felt like they were portraying the 'correct' way to be a woman.

I felt like Smile Precure and Ojamajo Doremi handled the concept of "it doesn't matter what gender you are, you can do what you like and be who you like as long as you love yourself" a lot better than Heartcatch did. I understand they were going for a be true to yourself sort of lesson, but it came off as creepy and fetishy rather than heartwarming as Doremi did it.

That and I legitimately could not stand Cure Marine, but that's mostly because I worked with very small children in Japan and the messages they took away from Cure Marine were awful.

I'm in a very small minority in that I just can't enjoy Heartcatch in any way, but I'm glad a lot of other people took enough away from it. If it gets people involved in magical girl shows, I honestly can't complain too much.

Yeah I agree but on the flip side, there was Kenji Ban, that overly masculine guy who wanted to draw magical girl manga based on Tsubomi and Erika and his whole arc was him and his mother coming to terms with that. He was probably my favorite victim of the week in that show.

Still doesn't really make up for how Itsuki was portrayed though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kazakirinyancat posted:

I dropped the show when they decided to drop Regina. I was enjoying how they were developing her. Then suddenly they sealed her away and had Cure Ace magic her way into Mana's family. It completely turned me off.

That's another thing that bothers me about DokiDoki, I don't mind the show having some red herrings to Ace's identity but then it turns out she's just some random girl the show never even introduced yet?

Now the show is hinting that Mana is a reincarnation or something of a previous Cure and it honestly feels like a mess, like too many writers with completely different ideas of what they wanted DokiDoki to be about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So the general consensus is that it's good? I kind of gave up on Precure after how terrible Doki was.

• Locked thread