Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Erika is a jerk, though.

Erika is the best and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :colbert:

And Moonlight... Moonlight is more badass than most shonen protagonists. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Alopex posted:

The only one I've seen in its entirety so far is Fresh, and I loved it. It has a good blend of relatively thoughtful storytelling and entertaining campy dumbfuck antics, and the supporting cast is really solid. It was a lot more fight-oriented than the other magical girl shows I've watched, with them actually vaulting around punching monsters and setting up attacks and having choreography. Heartcatch seems to be the one famous for doing that sort of thing, so that's probably what I'll watch next.

There are some amazing fight scenes in Heartcatch so if you like that sort of thing it is right up your ally.

The fight scene at the park with Moonlight. :allears::swoon::allears:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tree Huffer posted:

See, this was a huge reason why I couldn't enjoy Heartcatch. It wasn't just the OP way she was presented, but the incredibly creepy implications behind her transformation. The director of Ojamajo Doremi has done a lot of similar things in terms of being comfortable with yourself and allowing yourself to break traditional gender norms without it ever being as creepy as Cure Sunshine was handled. For me, it felt like it was presented as wrong that Itsuki was doing traditionally masculine things, and that she should go be more traditionally feminine because that was the 'correct' way to be. The fact that they took a girl who was doing a lot of traditionally masculine things and then changed her into what looked like an actual fetish costume + stilettos with long blonde hair and a baby fairy was incredibly creepy to me. Rather than emphasize that it was still okay that she did do traditionally masculine things, it felt like they were portraying the 'correct' way to be a woman.

I felt like Smile Precure and Ojamajo Doremi handled the concept of "it doesn't matter what gender you are, you can do what you like and be who you like as long as you love yourself" a lot better than Heartcatch did. I understand they were going for a be true to yourself sort of lesson, but it came off as creepy and fetishy rather than heartwarming as Doremi did it.

That and I legitimately could not stand Cure Marine, but that's mostly because I worked with very small children in Japan and the messages they took away from Cure Marine were awful.

I'm in a very small minority in that I just can't enjoy Heartcatch in any way, but I'm glad a lot of other people took enough away from it. If it gets people involved in magical girl shows, I honestly can't complain too much.

I dunno, I felt like it was the opposite, the show was saying that the role of total masculinity was forced on her because of her preconceptions about how the heir to a family should act, she really did like stereotypically girly stuff and that is ok. It's about being able to be honest about what you like and who you are regardless of whether that fits with stereotypes or goes against them. She liked martial arts, dressing like a boy, cute stuff like puppies and cute girl clothes and being able to take the pressure of being head of the family off of her chronically sick brother, and all of those things are just fine damnit.

As far as her costume went I alway chalked it up to her wanting to be able to dress in a really girly way sometimes and her precure transformation was the opportunity to do that. Also because she is normally so withdrawn, when she is a precure it's her chance to stand out and look however the hell she wants because people see her as "Cure Sunshine" and not "Itsuki" during that time.

• Locked thread