Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

There's some rumors of 'Happiness Charge' being the name of the next series, but I don't know where they come from originally.

Toei filed a trademark for Happiness Charge Precure.

The Smile rumor is because of http://www.otakuboshi.com/product/2802 revealing that there are 5 characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The logo for next season's PreCure showed up finally.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Hopefully this means a return to a 2-cure show.

There's at least 4, check the colors in the logo heart. There's also a leaked merch pic for a gashapon set listing 5 main characters.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Themes: form change, dancing, ..fruit

Gaim Precure, apparently.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Is that a Marvel-anime tie-in on the side?

So if there are 5 girls, will there be a grand total of 15 costumes?

Toei is making a Marvel kids anime next year, its probably that.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Does only Hime have a fairy? It'd be nice if they decided to cut back on that a bit, but probably not.

Two fairies are confirmed, see

There are probably tons of fairies since it seems like there's a lot of Precure worldwide.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

There's evidence Echo is returning in the new All Star movie. Could be related, dunno.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Welp.

Mana owns.

Bring on Happiness "CG Dance Battles" Charge.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

So, my first thoughts is that Happiness Charge is really, really Heartcatch. From the Saiark to the Fairies there's a whole lot that left me feeling that the show was copying left and right. This isn't a condemnation, necessarily. The episode was still fun and interesting, but I just didn't expect that so many elements would be re-used.

Nagamine gonna Nagamine I guess.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm on bored, I'm not bored!

Is DoReMi still the best place for subs or is there somewhere better?

Doremi are pretty bad but so far they're the only group who are picking up HaCha.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Lisandra_brave posted:

Doremi continues to be terrible at encoding, so Commie put out their own raws with a comment about no other raws having VFR, despite having commented on Doki Doki 49 that they agreed to never do another 50 episode childrens show. USP Raws then put out a higher quality version in response with a snarky comment. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Wait how do you know USP's is higher quality?

As for whether someone else is going to sub it, well, I'm leaning on people.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Newest HapCha They're not form changes, just special moves.

I'm so incredibly confused by the need to use CG for 10 seconds of stock but whatever.

Episode was great.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Ugh this is a really good PreCure and I hope the ratings pick up after falling off hard last week.

Umakoshi animated the pre-op bit which is why it actually looks on-model compared to all the All Star movie renditions of characters from that show.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Say it isn't so! Hapuri has had a good four episodes now, and it's been fun so far, so I'd hate to think it wasn't doing well ratings-wise. I wonder what is turning viewers off about the show, or if it's just the same ratings slide that PreCure has been suffering.

HaCha 1 - 5.8
HaCha 2 - 5.4
HaCha 3 - didn't rank in top 10; cutoff was a 4.6 so its below that

You're right that ratings are just down in general (its not just PreCure, ratings have been trending down for the majority of anime for the past 10+ years at least). Historical PreCure data can be found here.

aers fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 23, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Oh, I see that chart posted from time to time, but not since DokiDoki ended. It looks like it doesn't have 48 for some reason. That one was pretty great and a good finale for the show.

It didn't rank and no one's leaked it, probably.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

As long as you ignore the fact that 95% of this episode's art and animation was outsourced to Toei Philippines, it was pretty good.

Lovely even managed to come up with two new attacks instead of just one.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Lisandra_brave posted:

What are you talking about, it's totally magical girl! Have Nanoha and Symphogear taught you nothing about how similar magical girls and giant robots are?

As for this week's episode, more characters need to learn Wax on, Wax off. It's good advice. YuuČ is great, and is remarkably good at singing. Good enough to make me want a large bowl of rice. Oresky continues to be best general, and the cures continue to remember that they can fly. But good god, the animation on that preview is the worst I've seen in a long time.

Toei is making 7 shows right now and every single one of them is suffering from a lack of staff. Notably we already had one entire episode (7) that was outsourced completely to Toei Phils, Toei's Philippines branch that usually only handles inbetweens and the grunt work, not key animation. Episode 10's animation director has done nothing but work on the second season of Saint Seiya Omega, which looked absolutely awful. Now that its ended and the staff are moving to other things.. well, we get episode 10 of HaCha.

Unfortunately HaCha is the cheapest looking season so far, but at least the show's designs and style are good enough that it isn't dragging down how good the show is.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Nanoha herself is a pretty true magical girl protagonist (never give up, all about friendship, etc.) but then the show is late-night and otaku-targeted. I like the character way more than the show itself.

Symphogear is in fact awful.

The adult designs in Vividred are pretty cool but I wish the show didn't exist.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Caithness posted:

Oh, is that what Toei Phils stands for? Whenever I saw it in the credits I thought it meant Toei Philharmonic.

Yeah Toei Phils is basically a fully-owned substudio in the Philippines that handles all of Toei's grunt work (the Toei site says Phils handles 70% of their total animation work). Their animation directors and artists simply aren't anywhere near the level of the home Toei studio which is why they usually do second KA or inbetweens. The Phils ADs in particular who did that episode of Precure aren't even that bad (they regularly do episodes of Precure, like 5+ each season) but they usually don't get stuck with entirely Phils KA too.

Potsticker posted:

Did they do all of last week's episode? Because that animation was so bad it was actively distracting. Not that the plot was any good. This week, however, was pretty awesome. Hime and Yuuko are both really great, but that song is getting a little annoying. Especially after last week.

Last week looking completely awful was solely because the AD is some random guy whose only prior credits are 5 episodes in the last 20 of Saint Seiya Omega, which pretty much looked awful awful awful awful. The guy shouldn't have a job. God dammit Toei.

Looking ahead, 12's AD is a Precure regular whose stuff will look average/normal, 13 is a Phils AD again but hopefully not Phils KA, and 14's staff is basically entirely people who don't work for Toei and they probably outsourced it because they have no staff left to work on anything.

Yeah I'm kind of mad they decided to give Nagamine another Precure the season where they're cutting massive corners in order to produce 6+ shows at once. He doesn't deserve this.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

HaCha was great today and I'm not just saying that because one of the form changes got attacks outside the CG part.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Contains a small spoiler for the latest episode but sort of related to the above post!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Episode 10 and the second half of 15 are AD'd by the apparent worst animator Toei has. Other than that its below average because they're basically on a skeleton crew and all the talented grunts are apparently working on other things.

Not that I can figure out what those other things are since Disk Wars looks like crap, Kindaichi is getting outsourced, One Piece's staff never changes...

aers fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 12, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRv-HSctAY

Too good. (spoilers for episode 16)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Clearly not referring to Megumi because she's pink and owns.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Next week we are going to once again face the true terror of the worst animation director Toei has on staff (he did episode 10).

And also maybe that. Fortune considers Hime responsible for the downfall of the Blue Sky kingdom and the invasion of Earth, so either she's mistaken about something or Hime really hosed up. I will laugh if its something similar to how Chibiusa was responsible for the fall of Crystal Tokyo in Sailor Moon R.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Its called Innocent Form and might debut in episode 29.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

This week's HaCha episode looks and feels weird because Yamauchi returned to Toei for the first time in 10 years to direct. He also stole all the colors.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

He also zoomed in on everything the whole time. It was totes distracting.

This is how you tell he's directing, he has a thing for zooms

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Its Aesir's TL.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

No, I've never seen a chart like that for anything other than FwPC.

There is very little to suggest that target demographic is a real thing. If you take a look at viewer demographics, the largest number of viewers outside the kids 4-12 range is F1, women 20-34, followed by F2, women 35-49.

This is from Bandai's toy catalog for November. Notice the target demo on the top right.

Some Titans merch for comparison:

aers fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 24, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Why would anyone want to do that, what a terrible idea. This is what your idea has caused

They've shifted a bunch of staff who were absent from Precure back to the series so there's been a few standout episodes lately, but today's had the best storyboard of any. Great layouts and shots.

Still no Go!Pre picture leaks but the merchandise is hinting towards multiple different henshin devices and forms.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The episode had their best regular AD (Inagami) and was directed/storyboarded by Morio Hatano who is finally back on Precure after a stint over at Majin Bone. Hatano is really good.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah they have a 2-stage transformation apparently, full dresses for princess form and skirts for the fighting form. There's probably a lot more info on the pages those images are from but people who leak things never take full pictures. Toei has stated that this is "the biggest change in the PreCure series since Fresh" so who knows what they've done.

Should be about 1-2 weeks until the staff is revealed when the website updates for Christmas.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Can't even guess who the character designer is... doesn't really match any of the previous one's styles after all. Maybe Kawamura.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/princess_precure/character/

Toei gave me what I truly wanted for Christmas: Yuta Tanaka is series director.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV_PXzz6fYE

aers
Feb 15, 2012

GoPri ED https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcQwfYp65ts

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Tanaka is a brilliant director.

Like the only real complaint I have is the CG attack but I think that has to do with changing times in kids entertainment in Japan (the two new franchises-for-girls that are doing well both have CG) and is something that's going to stay. Hopefully when they get their wands and have an attack that isnt a form change it wont be CG anymore.

Oh and the other issue is that all their main CG guys are working on movies right now (Precure Allstars & Dragonball Z) so they gave GoPri stuff to the newbies.

aers fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah. They actually posted the All Stars theme dance here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJRX6oRL1Rs and it looks a lot closer to the HaCha stuff.

The guy who directed the first HaCha ED and also all the form changes tweeted that the CG team was "strange" this year or something like that. Unfortunately he didn't direct GoPri ED1 which is why it was pretty tame compared to HaCha's.

On the plus side I love the ED song and the OP in general was pretty good!

• Locked thread