Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

So I got the Anova circulator and hopefully someone can sanity check me - are these things really quiet? I am used to my old £35 Amazon special which sounds like a really noisy fish tank which I can almost hear throughout the house. This thing is making a tiny buzzing noise - I had to watch the water carefully to check stuff was moving around because it almost sounded like an impeller had failed it was so quiet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

So I got the Anova circulator and hopefully someone can sanity check me - are these things really quiet? I am used to my old £35 Amazon special which sounds like a really noisy fish tank which I can almost hear throughout the house. This thing is making a tiny buzzing noise - I had to watch the water carefully to check stuff was moving around because it almost sounded like an impeller had failed it was so quiet!

Mine is pretty dang quite and it's old as poo poo. Generally if the water level is low I can hear that spurting water around. Other than that I generally have to be in the same room to make sure it's running. Seems like a good problem to have tho.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

As long as the impeller is clean and the case is tight my 5 year old Anova sounds like a fan in the next room, yeah.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

I've been reading through this thread since I got myself a circulator last month but I'm skipping to the end because I have a :siren: sous vide emergency :siren:. While cooking a pork shoulder using the Serious Eats recipe, my stupid off-brand freezer bag split open overnight. I don't know how long it was like that but the water was pretty thoroughly brown. I swapped out the water, scrubbed my container and my cooker, rebagged the meat (this time splitting it in half and using two bags), and set everything back in motion, but is the meat ruined at this point? Cooking at 165 it doesn't seem like there's much of a food safety issue but did my eventual final product lose too much of its flavor/juiciness to bother finishing?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Throw some creme brulee variations at me

I usually use vanilla but was thinking about lemon?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Tarragon (infused in the custard) with a little lemon is pretty tasty.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

I've been reading through this thread since I got myself a circulator last month but I'm skipping to the end because I have a :siren: sous vide emergency :siren:. While cooking a pork shoulder using the Serious Eats recipe, my stupid off-brand freezer bag split open overnight. I don't know how long it was like that but the water was pretty thoroughly brown. I swapped out the water, scrubbed my container and my cooker, rebagged the meat (this time splitting it in half and using two bags), and set everything back in motion, but is the meat ruined at this point? Cooking at 165 it doesn't seem like there's much of a food safety issue but did my eventual final product lose too much of its flavor/juiciness to bother finishing?

I'd say just try it but I do find if it happens to me I end up meat that tastes more like it's been boiled.

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

The first thing that comes to mind for me is crema catalana. It's typically made with milk instead of cream, so it's lighter, and it's flavored with citrus zest (lemon and sometimes orange) and cinnamon instead of (or sometimes in addition to) vanilla.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Whiskey. Coffee.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any must have accessories for an immersion circulator that would make things easier? Are those plastic tubs needed or can I get away with using a Dutch oven? What about those beads that keep everything submerged?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

explosivo posted:

Any must have accessories for an immersion circulator that would make things easier? Are those plastic tubs needed or can I get away with using a Dutch oven? What about those beads that keep everything submerged?

A vacuum sealer is the first thing you really need, if you don't already have one. :)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

spankmeister posted:

A vacuum sealer is the first thing you really need, if you don't already have one. :)

Should have specified, already got one of those!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Must have? Not in my opinion. Some people like to "make do" and some people take satisfaction in assembling the perfect setup.

As long as your Dutch oven is big enough there's no real reason to buy a special container. I use an old cooler my parents had in their basement and binder clips with a couple spoons twisty tied on to weigh them down.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Since I'm usually using mine to do a single portion of meat for me, I found getting a smaller (7L I think) Cambro container and lid helpful. Then I've not got to heat as much water and it comes up to temperature quickly.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I bought a huge LIPAVI cambro but hardly ever use it. I just use a dutch oven.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A lot of the Cambro appeal is basically cosplaying as restaurant chefs. The sensible thing is to use an insulated vessel, like a cooler if you have one. A Dutch oven is also fine as long as it’s deep enough.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That's all super helpful info, thanks! Sounds like I'll just see how it goes with what I got before worrying about any of that stuff.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I use a 5 gallon bucket like you get at Home Depot. Smaller things for short time like steaks, I just a stock pot.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Over the years I've used pretty much everything: Cambro, Party Stacker, Cooler, Pot, Bucket. Everything works, but some work better for different sizes and situations. You can spend as much or as little as you want to.

That being said, I got this thing for Christmas and outside of extra long cuts of meat, this is my new goto.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BKFN9PSH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I love how the little metal grate thing slides into indentations on the side and keeps poo poo from floating. Or if something does end up floating, it only floats to the level of the grate.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Well I just got a Joule tonight, hopefully the app doesn't suck as much as the reviews let on! Gonna have to break this in with some pork chops I think.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

The only thing I can think of that sucks about the app is that some of the recipes are paywalled now if you want step by step instructions. That's lame. But whatever, look up time and temp recommendations from other sites and just set that poo poo manually.
Other than that, mine has worked fine for years without any problems. I worried not having a screen or manual controls on the actual device would be an issue...it hasn't ever been an issue.
I previously had a gen 1 Anova, and holy poo poo does the Joule come up to temp so much faster.

I guess its also weird seeing it be called "Breville" or "Turbo" Joule now too.
Mine has been solid. It's fallen over a ton of times when cleaning it or drying it, and it fires back up like a champ every time. Hopefully, yours serves you well for many many years.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 10, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That's very reassuring to hear. I am finding the app surprisingly helpful for showing how exactly the process works to a complete newbie which is cool. I'm impatient and have nothing else to make so I'm pre-heating now to do a batch of hard boiled eggs :v:

Edit: Perfect eggs :hellyeah:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 10, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I want to season something before bagging/cooking should I thaw it out first or can I throw salt/pepper on a frozen piece of meat and it'd turn out okay?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

It works either way but far easier to have it stick to it when thawed vs frozen.
depends on what your cooking, but I always do Salt like 1 to 3 hours before it gets bagged, in the fridge so it kinda dry brines prior. then I bag and cook. then I pat it dry, add anything else including pepper and sear.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

just be careful going straight from frozen into the bath. Ive found as it thaws out while cooking, it can release a bit of air into the bag and it can have a tendency to float. Think of a plan to weigh it down or have it submerged good in order to account for that possibility. Its absolutely ok to go directly from frozen though. I do it often. I just pad my timer to account for it. Joule app will show several options for Frozen vs thawed times as well.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got them semi thawed (I had to in order to peel the absorbent paper stuff off) then put on a dry rub and threw in a sprig of rosemary, and it's been in the fridge for an hour or two. About to put it in the bath now actually, I will keep an eye out for any floating. I saw something about vacuum sealing a spoon in with your food to help it sink? I did not do that this time though. I did notice the option to choose frozen in the Joule app which was nice.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turned out great! Perfectly cooked and juicy. Maybe a tad heavy on the garlic, lol.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Looks good!
I picked up a thick pork chop tonight after all this pork chop talk.
I feel like the joule's recommended temp is drat near perfect for me. Couple hours in the bath. Quick ice bath rest. Then a screaming hot sear for about 60 seconds on side. Perfect!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I made some poached eggs this morning following the America's Test Kitchen method of 167 degrees for 12 minutes and they came out okay but the whites were really runny. I think maybe another 30 seconds to a minute or bumping up the temp like half a degree might make it perfect. Gonna go to the grocery store later and get a pork shoulder to try that pulled pork recipe for this weekend. Love this thing :sickos:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Some of the Joule "we recommend" temps make stuff more steaky in texture vs shready or pulled. So maybe experiment with those various temps and find your favorite.
Still awesome taste wise, but might not be exactly what your expecting first try.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Franco Caution posted:

Some of the Joule "we recommend" temps make stuff more steaky in texture vs shready or pulled. So maybe experiment with those various temps and find your favorite.
Still awesome taste wise, but might not be exactly what your expecting first try.

Just follow the Kenji guide, it breaks down what you can expect at various times and temps.

https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

explosivo posted:

I made some poached eggs this morning following the America's Test Kitchen method of 167 degrees for 12 minutes and they came out okay but the whites were really runny. I think maybe another 30 seconds to a minute or bumping up the temp like half a degree might make it perfect. Gonna go to the grocery store later and get a pork shoulder to try that pulled pork recipe for this weekend. Love this thing :sickos:

Were your eggs room or fridge temp when you put them in? Not sure if that would make a difference

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

mls posted:

Were your eggs room or fridge temp when you put them in? Not sure if that would make a difference

I had them in the fridge up until the time the water was preheated which is what they recommended. I saw some people saying you should only start your timer once the water reaches the target temp again which I wasn't really paying attention to but really wouldn't be very long at all anyway. I think next time if I add 30 seconds to the timer they'll be perfect.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yoooooo that pulled pork recipe is unbelievable. I got a 6 lb, bone in shoulder, went a full 24 hours in the bath, let it chill in the fridge for a couple hours, and finished in my oven/air fryer combo at 300 for another hour and a half. Real nice crust to it and the meat was so juicy and basically fell apart on its own. Now I have far, far too much pulled pork for two people lol.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Man I did another pair of brats, and even though they were fully thawed, and in the bath for over two full hours at 155F, they were barely maybe upper 140's in the middle, and were still a little oddly pink in the middle.

Time/temp charts are massively, incredibly wrong when it comes to high-fat content stuff like sausage. I would double or triple any recipe I saw frankly. That includes Douglas Baldwin's stuff. His charts are way, way off for high-fat content.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I do sausages at 162 for an hour and then sear, I think based on the Amazing Ribs temperature chart magnet, and it is consistently perfect.

Sausages from grocery stores, butchers, farmers market, previously frozen or not, still frozen means +45 mins.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I do sausages at 162 for an hour and then sear, I think based on the Amazing Ribs temperature chart magnet, and it is consistently perfect.

Sausages from grocery stores, butchers, farmers market, previously frozen or not, still frozen means +45 mins.

I mean, I'm not questioning what you consider 'perfect'. I'm just saying tables like these:
https://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_2.2

That claim you'll be within 1 degree of the water bath within X minutes for a cylinder Ymm in diameter are stupendously incorrect for something like a high-fat content sausage. Which then follows the pasteurization charts are going to be way the gently caress off too. I previously had a brat frozen and spent nearly 3 full hours at 155F and it did not get above 145F in the middle. And just now I had a completely thawed one spend two full hours at 155F and it did not even get remotely close to 'within 1 degree of the water bath temperature' in 2 full hours. That chart claims a thawed 40F 30mm cylinder should be at 154F after 1 hour. It was not even close after twice that. I've verified both the water bath temp and checked the temp of the meat with my Mk4 thermapen. These time charts are just flat out completely wrong for higher-fat content. They absolutely should not be trusted for ground sausage and the like. I would consider 3 hours the minimum for unfrozen ground meat like sausage/brats if you actually want to be up in the 140F+ range for any reasonable length of time to fully pasteurize.

Maybe his stuff is accurate for solid lean meat, though frankly I have doubts about that too at this point. I'm seriously tempted to buy one of those special needle probes you poke through a foam seal so you can monitor/graph things in real time while doing sous vide.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aw man, now I have to recheck everything. By “perfect” I mean opaque meat at the “right” texture but I’m worried now.

Jerk.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Sorry I'm sure I'm coming off as somewhere on the border between rationally and irrationally angry. But these numbers just don't make sense, I am absolutely certain these tables are not usable at least for higher-fat content stuff (and quite possibly other stuff too). My anova is working properly (good flow/circulation and holding perfect temperature) and the results just don't track at all with what those tables say. I'm so pissed off because I'm genuinely worried I've been putting myself (I'm immunocompromised) or people I care about in danger in the past by following them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Conversely, are you sure your measuring device is accurate? It could be bad at reading things with high fat content since contact with the medium will not be uniform.