Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I mean it's a Thermapen Mk 4. It matches precisely the water temp of the Anova, so it would be quite a coincidence if they were both off by the same 10 degrees in the same direction. I've also checked against my Thermoworks Smoke (which uses the thermister instead of thermocouples like the thermapen) and that's within like two degrees, though the precision of that would unsurprisingly be lower. But again not way off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would email Baldwin politely. I bet he’s the kind of nerd who’d love to get into it and re-examine thermal diffusivity (from appendix A, it looks like he’s relying on previous studies for that)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I feel like I've really run the Sous Vide gauntlet since getting the Joule and the thing that I'm the most surprised about is that it greatly simplifies cooking the things that the sous vide is good at cooking. I think everyone's natural reaction to me explaining what sous vide is is to assume it's just a more fussy/complicated way to make simple food which might be true in some ways, but it takes the guess work out of cooking this stuff and generally creates less of a mess so it's not nearly as much of a ballache as I thought it might be when I first looked into it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sous vide is a cheat code for sure.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Has anyone got timings/temps for SV carrots? I want to do the nicest possible roast carrots for Christmas dinner. I'm thinking carrots, peeled and split lengthways, SV in beef dripping, then finished in the oven after brushing down with a thyme oil?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Has anyone got timings/temps for SV carrots? I want to do the nicest possible roast carrots for Christmas dinner. I'm thinking carrots, peeled and split lengthways, SV in beef dripping, then finished in the oven after brushing down with a thyme oil?

183° F.

I do mine for thanksgiving with brown sugar, butter, cloves, etc and they come out perfect.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

MrYenko posted:

183° F.

I do mine for thanksgiving with brown sugar, butter, cloves, etc and they come out perfect.

posting to save this

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MrYenko posted:

183° F.

How long for?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Does hake fillet sous vide well or not really?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:hmmyes:

The beauty of souls vide is that they really don’t care how long. I can do the prep early or even the day before, throw them in the puddle for at least an hour, but two is fine too, and get them out whenever to reduce the glaze.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

MrYenko posted:

souls vide

My favorite video game subgenre

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hey so is the extra hundred bucks worth it for the Anova Precision Cooker Nano vs the Precision Cooker. Plan to buy one in the next month or so

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Hey so is the extra hundred bucks worth it for the Anova Precision Cooker Nano vs the Precision Cooker. Plan to buy one in the next month or so

The nano takes longer to heat up and uses bluetooth. The precision heats up faster and uses wi-fi. 750w vs 1000w. I have a Nano and it works fine, my phone is playing music/connected to the nano while I do other things in the kitchen.

On the website using the code HOLIDAYPREGAME, its $80 for the nano and $128 for the regular one. So a $50 difference. Maybe the wi-fi is cool if you're starting up the heating when you're not home? Not too sure if that is a feature though, maybe someone who has one can chime in.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 28, 2023

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

explosivo posted:

I feel like I've really run the Sous Vide gauntlet since getting the Joule and the thing that I'm the most surprised about is that it greatly simplifies cooking the things that the sous vide is good at cooking. I think everyone's natural reaction to me explaining what sous vide is is to assume it's just a more fussy/complicated way to make simple food which might be true in some ways, but it takes the guess work out of cooking this stuff and generally creates less of a mess so it's not nearly as much of a ballache as I thought it might be when I first looked into it.

People always think it's so fussy but it's less effort than setting up a crockpot since I just use Ziploc bags usually instead of a food saver. Set it and forget it: underwater edition.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I made some SV brussels sprouts last night and they were pretty delicious, definitely nice and soft on the inside but I halved and air fried them to crisp them up on the outside. Probably wholly unnecessary and not really something I'd do again unless I was prepping a big meal and needed to cook sprouts without keeping an eye on them, but it does simplify dinner when I can leave those simmering for as long as I need to while working on the entree.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

explosivo posted:

I made some SV brussels sprouts last night and they were pretty delicious, definitely nice and soft on the inside but I halved and air fried them to crisp them up on the outside. Probably wholly unnecessary and not really something I'd do again unless I was prepping a big meal and needed to cook sprouts without keeping an eye on them, but it does simplify dinner when I can leave those simmering for as long as I need to while working on the entree.

Do you have the recipe for this? It would be a total game changer for hosting Thanksgiving.

e: vvv Thank you so much! vvv

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 3, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dango Bango posted:

Do you have the recipe for this? It would be a total game changer for hosting Thanksgiving.

Yep this is the one I used but I didn't really do the dijon rub, I just put sprouts/salt/pepper/paprika/butter in the bag and used it for the time/temp instructions more than anything. I was making steaks as well which required a lower temp so I actually cooked the sprouts ahead of time, put them in an ice bath then put them in the fridge. When it was time for dinner I dropped them in the SV bath I had going for the steaks to warm them back up then halved them and air fried them while finishing the steaks.

Edit: Definitely heed the warning about air in the bag; they recommend using a ziplock and the water displacement method instead of vacuum seal. I used the vacuum but just clipped a big spoon onto the side of the pot to hold the bag of sprouts down while they cooked and this worked fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got the Anova chamber vac and it definitely crushes stuff like sausages less than my foodsaver, but I’m going to have to keep the foodsaver around for really big stuff given the pretty small chamber

gonna make some quick pickles this weekend with it!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I got the Anova chamber vac and it definitely crushes stuff like sausages less than my foodsaver, but I’m going to have to keep the foodsaver around for really big stuff given the pretty small chamber

gonna make some quick pickles this weekend with it!

It’ll be a little awkward, but you can use a chamber vac like a foodsaver for larger items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2jFbx67-k

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Among other stuff, I'm doing some turkey breasts SV that then get put into a stuffing/dressing-like casserole dish. Because of other schedule concerns it's basically:

Day 1: Break down turkey so I can make stock with the carcass that evening
Day 2: SV the turkey breasts, then chill
Day 3: Chop the cold turkey breast and make the dish

Trying to decide between:
A) Just put the turkey breasts in the fridge overnight, in a ziplock or w/e (not salted and sealed yet)
B) Salt the turkey breasts and leave them open-air in the fridge overnight before SV'ing (dry brine)
C) Go ahead and fully prepare salt & herbs, vac bag overnight until cooking the next day.
D) Try really hard to SV them on day 1 evening, but then leave them bagged cold unopened for an extra day in the fridge. And annoying since I have other poo poo to do on day 1 like the stock and some desserts.

I don't often hear about people doing dry brine with SV, so not sure about B. C&D seem like they'd both be fine... just not sure about leaving herbs in the bag with them for the extra day before or after cooking.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Visiting my folks and brought the SV to make pulled pork for dinner for 8, this time I separated the fat from the juices left in the bag and simmered with some sweet baby ray's to make bbq sauce then mixed it into the shredded pork before serving. It was god drat delicious and was a huge hit. It's fun trying to explain to my grandparents what the hell sous vide is.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sage butter sous vide-ed lobster, and crispy up kale with sharp cheddar :yum:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nice looking croissants!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Johnny Truant posted:

Sage butter sous vide-ed lobster, and crispy up kale with sharp cheddar :yum:

Yes

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Is there anything comparable to the Anova Chamber Vac given a $500 max budget?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I keep watching coupons and sales on the ones from Vevor because they can be had in larger sizes.

They have like 3 of them under $500. I want the DZ260C specifically

https://m.vevor.com/chamber-vacuum-...-p_010745143510

The trade off will be its a bigger unit and won't look as nice on the counter as the Anova.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 8, 2024

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I did the serious eats sous vide brisket for christmas lunch and it was such a hit im now responsible for all the brisket.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

How would lime juice and apple cider vinegar affect brisket cooked for 36 hours? Would they cause problems like curing or similar?

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

Franco Caution posted:

I keep watching coupons and sales on the ones from Vevor because they can be had in larger sizes.

They have like 3 of them under $500. I want the DZ260C specifically

https://m.vevor.com/chamber-vacuum-...-p_010745143510

The trade off will be its a bigger unit and won't look as nice on the counter as the Anova.

Dang, that looks really good. Appreciate the recommendation, thanks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

NPR Journalizard posted:

I did the serious eats sous vide brisket for christmas lunch and it was such a hit im now responsible for all the brisket.

Gonna have to make this, looks to be the same deal as the pulled pork and that's been a huge hit every time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

explosivo posted:

Gonna have to make this, looks to be the same deal as the pulled pork and that's been a huge hit every time.

Yeah I’ve been doing it for our extended family Christmas lunch for a few years now and I have sold more than a couple circulators to appreciative relatives.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
So I tried the Kenji pork belly sous vide last night and while it was alright the meat part wasn't as silky and juicy as I hoped, now I was using English pork slices, pre cut quite thin and was wondering if the meat is cut thin should I reduce temp or time to see if it had an effect?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

by.a.teammate posted:

So I tried the Kenji pork belly sous vide last night and while it was alright the meat part wasn't as silky and juicy as I hoped, now I was using English pork slices, pre cut quite thin and was wondering if the meat is cut thin should I reduce temp or time to see if it had an effect?

Did you season it before bagging? I’m noticing and others have noticed that pre-seasoning seems to firm up meat in sous vide

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone try SV chicken wings before? I think generally people say it's not worth it but my issue with chicken wings is always ensuring an even cook for all the wings so dumping a bunch of wings into a bag and thoroughly cooking in a sv bath before finishing in an oven or something sounds appealing. I guess the issue would be needing to finish in an oven long enough to develop a crispy exterior would overcook the meat.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

explosivo posted:

Anyone try SV chicken wings before? I think generally people say it's not worth it but my issue with chicken wings is always ensuring an even cook for all the wings so dumping a bunch of wings into a bag and thoroughly cooking in a sv bath before finishing in an oven or something sounds appealing. I guess the issue would be needing to finish in an oven long enough to develop a crispy exterior would overcook the meat.

That is basically the issue. Every recipe I see for sous vide wings is to sous vide it, then pat dry the wings and air chill them overnight, then finish them in fryer or oven. Fryer is the best bet, but even then you can dump wings from frozen into a fryer and have crispy even cooked wings in like 15 minutes instead od sous viding, waiting a day, then frying for a minute.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Just follow Kenji's oven baked crispy wings recipe. Its killer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Kwolok posted:

Just follow Kenji's oven baked crispy wings recipe. Its killer.

I should add that if you’re baking more wings it will require significantly more oven time

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Steve Yun posted:

Did you season it before bagging? I’m noticing and others have noticed that pre-seasoning seems to firm up meat in sous vide

Don't think I even salted it but the Kenji recipe had a ton on stuff in, could it have been it needs some sauce as well to keep it all juicy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

explosivo posted:

Honestly I can't think of a good reason to sous vide chicken wings, Kenji's recipe comes out basically perfect.