Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Straker posted:

One red, two black, one left!

I think Kalista wanted blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm making 72-hour short ribs (129F), and I have a question about sous vizzle interruptus. I'd like to take my circulator over to a friend's house for the evening to make some shrimp and fish and whatnot, but I would also not like to ruin my ribs. If I put a lid on the pot and wrap it with a towel or two, am I likely to cause myself any distress if it's not being maintained for 4-5 hours?

My belief is that it'll be fine, since it'll be like doing a cooler sous vide, but 129F is a little on the low side so I thought I'd double check. The ribs are foodsavered, rather than vacuum ziplocked, which also gives me some confidence for no reason that I could explain.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BraveUlysses posted:

I think it would be easier to chill the shortribs in an ice bath and store in the fridge, then resume (and restart the clock) when you return.

OK, that's doable, though I would dispute that it's easier! Will push them a little out of dinner time when they complete but I have the feeling that 70 vs 72 hrs isn't going to make a noticeable difference in the output. Thanks.

While I'm posting: I'd like to do scampi butter for the shrimp, but I'm not sure that the garlic will have time to mellow in that short a period of time. Should I precook the garlic, or am I worrying for nothing. I guess the garlic is chopped pretty finely...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've got some short ribs in for 72 @ 129, per one of the Serious Eats posts; I'm hopeful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Wookums posted:

You have to eat around the fat, but it tastes pretty good!

Yeah, I was worried about it being under-rendered. Worth moving it up for the last while to help with that, I wonder?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The "mi-cuit" salmon technique from Modernist at Home was a revelation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can I get a searzall if I didn't back the kickstarter? This is a matter of some importance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone have preferred time/temp for beef cheeks?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"boil in bag"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a sea bass fillet and a whole (small, butterflied) trout. I was planning to treat them like salmon, unless people have better ideas?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nwin posted:

I don't understand how the panini press maintains temp throughout the entire protein without overcooking.

Same way a circulator does? As long as it's able to hold the heating medium at the target temp, it doesn't matter whether it's air/water/metal in contact with the food, right? (It'll affect the rate of heat transfer, but not what the final temp of the food is.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm going to be doing some pork chops tonight and then saving them in the fridge. How long do people generally reheat for? 45 mins at 140 for a thick chop? I'd then sear.

Also, does having seasoning in the pouch affect how long they'd keep in the fridge? It would be great if I could get them to last 10 days after cooking, in terms of pre-cooking meals.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've got thick-cut pork chops in at 144F, let's say they're 2" thick. I'm fine if they go for 3 hrs, right? My wife is pork-paranoid, so I figured I'd appeal to the authority of random pseudonymous people on a comedy forum.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Choadmaster posted:

2" pork chop starting from 41 degrees in a 144 degree bath will be pasteurized in 2 hours 13 minutes.

There are a number of apps that will crunch these numbers for you (I use SousVideDash).

Thank you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ShadowCatboy posted:

Spread the cure evenly along all the legs and rub into all the nooks and crannies of the meat. Leave for 1-2 days. I had to do 3 days because I was too busy at work. Vizzle for 36-48 hours at 150*C. The bag juices get pretty drat funky so I wouldn't use them for anything.

Do you seal before it sits in the fridge for a few days, or just leave them on a plate?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does the sauce in the bag help? I imagine that it makes sealing it more of an adventure, but if it's worth it for flavour...

I always figured that BBQ sauce was just surface flavour, and didn't really penetrate the meat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How long do people generally feel vac-sealed stuff is keepable in the fridge after cooking? Does it vary a lot by type of food? I'm looking to build up a collection for a few weeks that I can reheat faster than from frozen, probably steak/short ribs/salmon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wouldn't think cleaning for food use would be hard, since it doesn't come into contact with food.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you cut it into medallions and place them flat, you could change the calculus a bit, but only the get-to-temp time, not hold-at time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Smiling Jack posted:

Main problem was structural integrity in getting it onto the grill and then oh my god it's full of stars

I've considered wrapping in tinfoil before vac sealing, so I can get it to the grill and the unwrap in situ, but I'm not sure it would work well, and I don't have a grill at the moment.

Hmm. Would Saran-wrapping inside a vac bag let me keep liquid seasonings against the item without the usual sealing suction problem?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I skimmed the thread, but I can't find it: someone posted t&t for ribs that were tender but not falling off. Anyone have experience to share?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MasterFugu posted:

here's a chart that lists times and temps(optimal temps mostly) for various meat types

Thanks -- would you consider ribs to be a tough cut? What doneness would you target for tender-but-not-falling-apart?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LorneReams posted:

Try 144. 154 is a bit high.

I usually go here, they have not hosed me yet.

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide

That's where he sent me, and it shows 154F for medium-rare for tough cuts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, last time I used lemon slices I got a bitter taste that I attributed to the lemon. Wonder if it was something else.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

G-Prime posted:

Did you make sure to remove the seeds from the slices? I could see those adding a lot of bitterness.

I don't recall, so probably not! I had assumed it was from the pith.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: ^^^^ that's just ridiculous

Steve Yun posted:

The nice thing about (most) PIDs is that they scale to whatever you need, the limitation is really your heat generator. You could probably use a $100 Dorkfood PID.

I kinda doubt lightbulbs would get up to 130F. If they don't work, maybe try a portable electric stove?

From looking at http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/html/watts-heat-lights-lamp-heat-output.html I think it's doable. Halogen bulbs get hot!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phanatic posted:

Put them in a closed box and it's closer to 100W of heat.

How does putting them in a box change the power output? Asking in earnest, this stuff is not my strong suit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I feel like an idiot asking, but I can't seem to google it and my memory is useless.

What's the name of the sous vide potato technique? I think it involves cooking at two temperatures, and it breaks down in some fancy way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm not sure that's it, but that's interesting!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

overdesigned posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of starch retrogradation.

Yes! Thank you!

CrazySalamander posted:

In theory, you could do a three step cooking method: cook sweet potatoes at 130F for 30 minutes, then at 145F for 2 hours, then at 185F for 1 to 2 hours for extra sweet still kind of crunchy sweet potatoes for a sweet potato salad or something.

Not sure how I feel about crunchy sweet potatoes in a salad, but it's an interesting idea.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I gave my Sansaire to a friend, what's the current thread favorite unit? I wish I had the Mellow, but who knows when those will ship.

Also, what's the preferred fuel for a Searzall? I got lost in some of the MAPP discussions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thank you, I am enlightened!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What are people's recommendations for Cornish game hen? I've seen anything from 2 to 7 hours at 150-160. It's about 1.5 lbs, I think spatchcocked.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

overdesigned posted:

I have been on a shrimp at 170F kick lately. Thaw 'em, bag 'em with some salt and lime, drop in water, bring them to temp with the water bath. When the machine beeps they're done. Chill and eat. Stupid easy. I should probably start making my own cocktail sauce too, but for now, laziness.

Lime juice or zest? Shell on or off?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

overdesigned posted:

Lime juice, shell off, tail on. About 1tsp salt and half of a lime (or lemon) per pound of shrimp. I rinse 'em after cooking, this is probably optional depending on how much you like salt.

Cool, thanks. About how long does your bath take to get to 170F? I've got an Anova with about 16qt of water to heat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

overdesigned posted:

20-30 minutes maybe, kinda depends on what random pot I have handy, whether I remembered to use hot tap water instead of cold, etc.

OK, I'll give it a try, thanks. What could go wrong?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I prefer the term "spreadable".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or lye.

(They were good.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What's the state of the art in small chamber vacs? I'm finding myself more and more annoyed that I can't really seal stuff with liquids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

VacMaster VP112S it's a tabletop chamber sealer, cheapest I know of. You can get the VP215 for 900 though.

Those look pretty good, thank you!