Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Chemmy posted:

I personally trust the science of someone writing a blog about eating like a caveman.

Well, the "source" seems like sound science. Pubmed is down it seems but I think this is the correct link

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

dotster posted:

From the abstract for the paper.

Even if she has a valid source it is very difficult for a layperson to interpret scientific data and properly explain the actual or practical amount of risk, it is often very hard even for scientists who don't focus on specific study in their fields. I am not saying that it is not an issue or that she is wrong but just that her advice is not well informed.

I know I worded that weird but I wasn't defending the post or the hysteria. Regardless, my earlier point about that study being whole-chain effects (box/factory -> strong UV -> chemical washes to test for leaching vs. box->puddle for X hours to test for leaching) stands.

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 21, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Death of Rats posted:

Note: put the cold in first, and don't pour from the kettle directly onto a bag if you're going to do this).

Most bags can be boiled, and blanching is usually not so terrible.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Pretty sure SubG is saying you two are not doing it right, if the ribeye is normal american thickness (euros tend to do thinner steaks) of 1-1.5" you are not pasteurising your food and might as well not loving cook it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

No Wave posted:

I understand wanting to pasteurize for serving other people etc. For myself I've been eating a lot of rare to bleu meat recently (not ribeye tho)

How is it being dramatic? Don't SV it, sear it and eat it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Chemmy posted:

That's real gross but a far different situation than "if you don't pasteurize your steak why even cook it?".

I guess I should've said, if you're not gonna pasteurize why worry about the time it takes? You're certainly not cooking anything.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

ShadowCatboy posted:

Actually for the given time and temp I've specified I generally get very good results on softening up the connective tissues. Instead of tough fibrous bands of muscular fascia I've got muscular fascia that's edible, just a little bit chewy.

3h@135F is going to do dick squat to connective tissue, a ribeye doesn't have enough connective tissue to make a difference regardless. The fact that it's edible vs. not has to do with the cut not the time.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

cheezit posted:

Any reason outside of convenience? It could be a fantasy world, but wouldn't ~$20 worth of heating elements and a ~$15 dollar pump do the same thing?

You need a PID controller, or an arduino and SSR and programming chops. The real magic is the control feedback loop, not the heating element or pump.

e: DERP, didn't see the context of your post.

Honestly, just get the integrated package, most heating elements like that break down very often, the pumps might last longer but finding one that won't break down at higher SV temps is going to be hard (or expensive).

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 6, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Chemmy posted:

But seriously it's not likely anyone bought both, I'd buy whichever seems cooler to you they're both fine.

Just because I haven't received my Sansaire doesn't mean I haven't bought both :colbert:

I think right now Anova edges out because you can actually order them.

Then again, now we have to get into a holy war dictating that the black Anova is the best Anova, because it is.

And I say this as having owned both a red and a black.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Oh for the love of krishna, just go back 10 or so pages in this thread (or was it the GWS product recommendation thread?)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

granpa yum posted:

It's definitely possible and even probable that it can be done safely but I would personally be more comfortable monitoring the center with a probe thermometer until it came to temperature and then following the FDA pasteurization guidelines for whatever temp I was shooting for (http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/RetailFoodProtection/FoodCode/ucm186451.htm#part3-4) or serving immediately if I did not want pasteurization (e.g. fish and very rare meat). If you don't reach 131F in four hours then I wouldn't eat it but in all likelihood that probably won't be an issue unless you're cooking some huge roast.

There are plenty of references that argue that the FDA guidelines make no sense. What they want you to perform a 6.5D reduction which can be done at lower temps (thus the pasteurization charts).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

My easy chicken plate is doing curry. The proper way to do it is to cook the curry sauce and the chicken separate but my lazy version is to shove everything in a bag (diced chicken brests), let it rest overnight in the fridge then vizzle it while at work at 140F.

I do something similar with pork using Japanese Curry recipes.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

DiverTwig posted:

There were two posts on the previous page regarding broken Anovas. It happens. I'd say the relatively few reports we've seen about broken Sansaires puts it on par with the Anova so far. It's still a personal preference thing.

To be honest the Anovas reported were:
- a problem that can be easily caused by mishandling or shipping issues (bent impeller to the point that it was stuck)
- problem after at least a few hours of operation

No one has reported receiving an Anova with half a missing display (pixel wise).

And I'd actually expect the anova to have more display issues than a sansaire, considering it's a full fledged (albeit low resolution) display.

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 18, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

:smug:No broken Nomikus yet. :smug:

I guess that's what an extra $100 buys you.

Insignificant sample sizes need not apply. :smugbert:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

The Sansaire is also very quiet, but as soon as it gets up to the temperature set point, the pitch of the impeller motor starts pulsing up and down as the heater is cycled on and off. It's presumably caused by a slight voltage drop, but it really strikes me as a rather poor electrical design choice. It makes an otherwise very quiet appliance significantly more obtrusive in a kitchen. Good to hear the Anova doesn't do it.

For what it's worth, my Anova does it but only when it's plugged into some outlets and not others, 40 year old wiring ahoy.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Chemmy posted:

It might be unpleasantly mushy.

Doubt it, the temp is low enough to not do weird stuff to the texture in 13h.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Finally tried s-v boneless skinless chicken breast. 140* for 2hrs. tried to brown it a bit before slicing and adding to a salad.

Is there any way to improve the texture of this? I like how juicy and tender it was but it didn't really have the texture I would have preferred.

Did you chill them before searing? I'd do 139 then chill a bit before searing and see how you like that.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Spatule posted:

Do not puddle ribeye at 136f for 8 hours, it will be dryish.
130f for 4 hours is the only way.

8h and 136f made the rest of the rib divine though. Better than ribeye at 130f.

I guess the conclusion is that you should only puddle uniform cuts of meat ?

No it's the 8 hours where you hosed up, I feel 2-4h at 135 would probably be your best bet for your taste.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Could also do it the other way around, cooler temp, take out the rare stuff and quick-chill, raise temp, take out the medium stuff and quick-chill, finish well done stuff, turn water down to rare temp and reheat.

The time it'll take for centers to reach temperature will be much much shorter than from-scratch, and you'll already have pasteurized from cooking at a rare temp.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

.Z. posted:

Who wants smart phone controlled sous vide machines that can also refrigerate? Cause here they come.

http://cookmellow.com/meet-mellow/

I was expecting it to be way more than $500 for some reason.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

Clever device, congrats and good luck!

That said, how's the power usage on that thing? Being (apparently) uninsulated I have to imagine keeping that water mass <40 all day (and then heating it all up!) isn't particularly efficient.

Double wall makes it pretty much the same as a coleman cooler. Or do you think most colemans typically used for SV are full of insulation?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

This thread is anecdotal poison for Sansaire, I wonder if a statistically significant sample has similar failure rates.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The Midniter posted:

You fuckers better hurry, too - the $99 slot only has 1000 spots, 600 of which are left. A full 50 were taken up just in the time it took me to back it!

Gone.

edit: hrm, new bells and whistles are all nice, the new interface is nice, but I can't help but think that the 20% heating power drop alone would justify the 20% price drop of the end product. I feel pre-gypped. At $129 it's not that bad a deal, at the end price though...

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 6, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Holy poo poo that article on SE has this picture:

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:
:homebrew:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

It's becoming increasingly common for well-established companies to drum up funding for new products or product revisions on Kickstarter instead of going through traditional financing. Make of that what you will, I suppose.

It's market penetration research, free marketing and tooling financing with practically zero risk to the company, win win.

It's specially the case for this Anova, most/all the research is done, there are several working prototypes (enough to ship around for testing to people in the industry and drum up support) and it's from a well established company.

And Jeff is a cool guy that answers my emails:

:smug:

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 6, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Crazy. They've already raised $360k. Let's get some stretch goals! Bright neon colors! Programmable LED lightshows! Laser-etched engravings!

They've raised $360K in 12 hours. Let that sink in.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

My question is how many of those people are getting their second sous vide machine

4th and 5th here, although I gifted my Sansaire.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

$600K :toot:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

All the sub $159 tiers are gone and they put a limit on the $159 tiers of 1k each.

Holy. poo poo.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Dang. What's going to happen when they run out of backer slots? Max out ~7 days into your 42 day kickstarter? Boo to that, and boo having to wait until June 17th to actually get the cash.

It's extremely impressive that they've gotten within 15% of Sansaire's full backing in what 3 days?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Anova Kickstarter has successfully whooped the Sansaire Kickstarter in less than a week. I am still in awe.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Million dollars ladies and gentlemen.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

geetee posted:

I hate to make it easier, but could you just cook it directly in the can?

Could they burst? I know they don't in a pressure cooker but is that because it's under pressure or simply because it doesn't expand as much?

I summon SubG

SubG SubG

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

ShadowCatboy posted:

Why magnets?

Because yeah bitch, magnets!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

dotster posted:

I got this email yesterday, kinda cool, it takes away one of the things people were complaining about. I think I would rather have it cost $10 less retail than switch to SS for the skirt.

Ditto, specially since now they'll ditch the polycarbonate skirt, loving BPA cry babies who don't know how the gently caress this poo poo works.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Hrm, when did Ary VacMaster start making SV machines? http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-vacmaster-vmasvp104-vacuum-packaging-machine-with-sous-vide-head-unit/120VMASVP104.html

quote:

1500W
:eyepop::eyepop:

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 4, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

Question: I'm cooking a four pound chuck roast and overnight the water level dropped so around 5-10mm of the bag was exposed. Is this basically 'welp, you're hosed' mode or can I just go on with it? I'm cooking at 145 for what it's worth. Teach me not to have a cooler.

It's fine, the top part probably got pasteurized before the water level dropped.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Straker posted:

So uhh the Anova people are kinda taking advantage of the "holy crap everyone wants one there arent enough slots for people to back this" thing and introduced multiple cooker incentives (or whatever you want to call them).

Yeah 1.5 Million is rather cray cray.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Anova ended already. Honestly Wi-Fi seems like the smarter thing to go for if you're going to do a connected device that's plugged into mains anyways, hell, my scale is WiFi connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

Upload your weight automatically if you're too lazy to manually enter it, pretty much. Some people use them in weird ways like if they want to record their weight daily but not actually see the value. They also tend to cost several times as much as equivalent non-wifi scales.

It was on special, I regret nothing.