Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
A couple months' delay on a Kickstarter project seems like par for course really, and they have been pretty open and specific about everything so far. If you look back at when Nomiku was first funded, they were still looking for a factory to build it at this point, and they hadn't worked out tooling, started any kind of certification, or anything else. Even after finalizing everything they were dicking around with certification for months and months afterwards. Even that was pretty good compared to some early Kickstarter projects when they didn't even require a working prototype. I feel a lot more confident the Sansaire isn't going to turn into something similar given where they are in production, but we shall see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Sansaire Update #13: Production Is Now Underway!

quote:

Finally, if you’ve been following the comment threads on our Kickstarter page, you may have noticed some discussion about a patent complaint filed against us. We’re happy to report that the issue is resolved and Preston Industries will be dismissing the complaint shortly. Thank you for your understanding as we haven’t been able to discuss the details of this situation.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Well you already own it so I doubt you'd buy another one. Aside from the obvious that you admitted there are better cheaper options notice the corroded heat spreader plate. The plate is aluminum and literally eats itself.

On mine, it even started corroding little spots where it touches the inside of the water container. I e-mailed the company and they offered to replace the aluminum tray. I pointed out that the container itself was damaged and it would just happen again with a new tray. I asked the to let me pay the difference to upgrade to the full size SVS for the stainless container, and they never replied again.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Woo, Kickstarter.

Quit your bitching. Nomiku took 14 months to ship after the end of their funding period. The ZPM Espresso guys still haven't shipped over two years later. If Sansaire delaying for 1 1/2 months is a serious issue, Kickstarter probably isn't the site for you.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

deimos posted:

Insignificant sample sizes need not apply. :smugbert:

:supaburn:

Does the Anova's motor noise pitch pulse with the heater like the Sansaire? It makes the sound of it running a lot more obtrusive than it needs to be.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The Sansaire is also very quiet, but as soon as it gets up to the temperature set point, the pitch of the impeller motor starts pulsing up and down as the heater is cycled on and off. It's presumably caused by a slight voltage drop, but it really strikes me as a rather poor electrical design choice. It makes an otherwise very quiet appliance significantly more obtrusive in a kitchen. Good to hear the Anova doesn't do it.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
A lot of people have posted about the "stuck" reset button on the Sansaire Kickstarter page. According to Scott, it's a thermal reset switch that only pops out when it's tripped by the element overheating (e.g. if it's not immersed in water). In normal operation it stays pushed in.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

Hey can anyone tell me the height in inches of the maximum fill line for the Sansaire? I'm trying to buy a food-grade plastic container from the restaurant supply store next door to my workplace.

6.5" from the base to the max fill line. It can sit on the bottom of the container.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Random Hero posted:

I did 72hr boneless short ribs @ 135F, then trimmed and deep fried for 30s... Came out incredible. I will definitely do this recipe again but I want to try it at 48hrs to see the difference.

Check out the chefsteps video about short rib time and temperature for some ideas:

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
There have been surprisingly few complaints on the Kickstarter page since the first few units started arriving, and most of it is people bitching about the "broken" thermal reset switch.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The container size limitation is my only significant issue with the original Anova, and the adjustable clamp looks like it solves this rather handily. I wouldn't mind the smaller size and lower weight. I'm not sure how I feel about the cheaper construction (losing the metal skirt e: apparently it's just painted on the black one) and the new interface. Is that mouse wheel thing water resistant if it gets splashed?

Every time I see app integration touted as a major feature, I wonder about future support. The only thing that interests me right now is getting an alert when the bath is up to temperature. The original Anova doesn't even have an audible alert, so you have to keep checking, which is a significant design oversight, IMO.

Spatule posted:

Why does Anova need to go through kickstarter exactly ? Aren't they a pretty established lab equipment company ? Guess it brings them more dough...

It's becoming increasingly common for well-established companies to drum up funding for new products or product revisions on Kickstarter instead of going through traditional financing. Make of that what you will, I suppose.

Bob_McBob fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 6, 2014

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Is there tax applied to these or no?

Cause if that's the case it's still a bargain at $145 right now. Free shipping to anywhere in the world!

You'll pay Canadian sales tax and something like $10 in brokerage fees to DHL, assuming they don't screw over the Canadian backers and send it by a ground service like Baking Steel did. I assume they aren't covering tax and duty and shipping from a Canadian warehouse like Sansaire.

turing_test posted:

This isn't actually true - if you set the timer, it beeps when it's done. It's a little quiet so you may have missed it but I have a tiny NYC apartment and I can hear it everywhere.

uPen posted:

It also beeps when it reaches temperature or when the water level drops too low.

My unit has firmware 2.02. I'm aware that it beeps when the timer finishes, and when the water level is low. It doesn't beep when it reaches the set temperature. I checked in both alarm modes to be certain.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

quote:

Risks and challenges

2. RISK DUE TO EXCESS DEMAND:

We're fortunate to do our own manufacturing. Should we receive support in excess of our anticipated demand, there could be delays in backers receiving their products.

If demand is extraordinary, we could be forced to open a new manufacturing facility, which would further delay our project.

I wonder what they consider "extraordinary".

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
What would it be "contaminated" with? Presumably you are cooking with potable water, and it's all held at the same temperature as the food. If your bag leaks, the issue is flavour loss, not contamination.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Too bad there's no free shipping outside the US on the two unit pledges.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/category/all-recipes/desserts/

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

2.) Eating mostly meat and vegetables because the macros are good and avoiding sugar and gluten because it makes you feel bad

Paleo generally involves avoiding all grains, refined sugar, refined oils, and legumes (beans, peanuts, etc.) as well as a variety of other optional poo poo like dairy and nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, etc.). It also heavily promotes only grass-fed meats (for the fats and because grains are evil) and oils with particular fatty acid ratios. The entire basis for these restrictions is sweeping assumptions about paleolithic lifestyle and evolution that have very little scientific credibility. That's why it's ridiculous.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Anova made their colour stretch goal. $1.8m with just under an hour to go :aaa:

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
10,508 backers

$1,811,321 pledged of $100,000 goal

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Why does everyone want all their kitchen appliances to have wifi?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Haha, what does a wifi scale even do? Alert your wife that you're cheating on your diet?

Upload your weight automatically if you're too lazy to manually enter it, pretty much. Some people use them in weird ways like if they want to record their weight daily but not actually see the value. They also tend to cost several times as much as equivalent non-wifi scales.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
According to Yelp, Lazy Bear had "sous vide caramelized cookie dough" on their dessert menu at one point.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Red Thermapen owners unite

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Nomiku pretty much had to update their product because nobody in their right mind would buy it with all the alternatives available now. I still think the new Anova design with the adjustable collar is probably the most versatile.

I'm not really sure the glut of sous vide immersion circulators is going to do much to make sous vide more mainstream. I don't know what that's going to take, though that new goon product with the built-in cooler is an interesting addition to the market. I kind of wish IC manufacturers would put some effort into designing suitable cooking containers to use with their products. I love the versatility of being able to use a tiny or huge container with my Anova as required, but the SVS is a much more kitchen consumer-friendly product. I don't think a lot of people want a stock pot or cooler sitting on their counter, and most people don't end up using insulated containers.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I make yogurt in jars all the time.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

fuckwolf posted:

Searzalls are available for order on Amazon now.

This item does not ship to Waterloo, Canada.

Oh well.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Where are Canadians getting Cambro containers? I've only ever seen them at a couple of restaurant supply places that either sell in packs of six or are incredibly expensive. I have the Rubbermaid equivalent of the standard 12x18x9 Cambro, but it's annoying as poo poo because the Anova clip doesn't clear the lip properly, so the only option is to leave it hanging loose. I can't even find the little poly containers people use for cooking small items.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

This is what the Cambro looks like. The Rubbermaid container has a much deeper lip; it's not possible to get the clip screw under it, so you can only screw it down to the lip, which is really unstable. I guess I should really bite the bullet and do some cutting since I need to do the lid anyway.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

Baldwin always manages to confuse me. I don't know of I should infer from his tables that certain things don't have a safe pasteurization time past a certain size, or if he's just assuming that they don't exist past a certain thickness.

It's especially confusing because almost everyone suggests much shorter cooking times than his tables indicate. If you cook thick strip steaks for several hours they go mushy and gross. At Thanksgiving I did an 8.5 lb ham that was well beyond the maximum sizes on the tables, following the Serious Eats instructions, and it was at temp when I served it after only 3 hours.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/Booker-and-Dax-Searzall/dp/B00L2P0KNO/

Searzall back up on Amazon, still doesn't ship to Canada.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I got my Anova Kickstarter shipping notice today. I was at the beginning of the second batch, around 2200. Should be delivered on Monday :)

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
:3:

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
If any future Anova owners are reading the thread and wondering why the timer on their unit doesn't seem to be working, it's because the company had the bright idea to intentionally make the timer extremely difficult to use. From unpowered, you need to hold the power button for 8 seconds to enable the timer button, then hold the timer button for 3 seconds to set it. The timer state doesn't appear to be saved, so you need to do this every time you use it. In the manual they justify this by saying "in sous vide cooking temperature is far more important than the time" :wtc:

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I have several kitchen timers, multiple appliance timers, and a Nexus 5, but I still use the built-in timer on my original Anova. It's nice to have a timer running on the actual unit itself that I know isn't going to accidentally be reset and used for something else. I make plenty of food with short cooking times where I care about the timing as much as the temperature.

It's one thing to have no timer at all, but to have a dedicated timer button and intentionally make it so you have to turn off the machine if it's already on and then hold buttons for 11 seconds every single time you want to use it is just retarded.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
My Anova V2 display also reads about 1.5°F higher than the actual water bath temperature. There is no way to access the calibration menu without a phone app, so I'm out of luck until they release an Android version.

Last night I heated up some jars of milk starting in a cold bath to make yogurt. The total volume was about 10 quarts, including the jars and the milk, and the target temperature was 185°F. The Anova's display was consistently at least 3-4°F above the bath temperature as it heated, and as it approached the target temperature its behaviour became extremely erratic. The display went to almost 190°F when the bath was only 180°F, and turning it off and on would result in the display temperature jumping around several degrees. I made an emergency lid modification to cover the container and it seemed to stabilize everything.

The display on my original Anova is absolutely dead on right with the water bath at all times. I've never seen any erratic readings or behaviour. The only thing that happens when I approach the heating capacity in a large uncovered container is it simply fails to reach the target temperature while running continuously.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I did a few more tests today. With the Anova sitting in stable room temperature water, the display offset is a very consistent 1.5°F high. When I turn on the circulator, the offset increases to about 3.5-4°F until it reaches the target, where it drops back down and hangs around 1.5-2°F. Basically there is a small offset I can't correct without an app, and a small lag while the bath heats. The latter is something Serious Eats noted about the Nomiku in their comparison review:

Serious Eats Sperglab posted:

The one odd thing I noticed was that during the actual heating phase of the process, the Nomiku consistently registered temperatures that were 3 to 4°F higher than the actual water temperature.

a foolish pianist posted:

As to the yogurt thing, that's just a circulation nightmare. A tiny volume of free water to circulate, compared to a huge volume of stationary jarred liquids - I don't doubt the temperature in that container varied quite a bit depending on the vagaries of the flow characteristics around the bottles.

It was 6 quarts of circulating water and 3 quarts of jarred milk. The milk temperature was only about 4-5°F below the water at all times. The bath temperature was completely even to within 0.2°F; the temperature was just much lower than what the Anova's display showed, from the normal 3-4°F offset and lag during heating to almost 10°F when it was behaving erratically near the target temperature. I've done the same thing with the original Anova, an SVS Demi, and a Sansaire, and none of them had an issues.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I still can't get over the lovely timer interface. It's even worse than what I described previously, because you can't actually enable the timer without unintentionally changing the temperature display unit. If you want to use the timer, you have to hold the power button for 8 seconds, hold the timer button for 3 seconds, set the time, press the timer button again, then hold the power button for another 3 seconds to reset the temperature unit. It's so poorly designed I really want to believe it's because of some sort of hardware programming limitation they couldn't work around rather than intentional stupidity.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I'm pretty sure the erratic behaviour I noticed was a side effect of reaching the heating capacity of the unit and controller. Theoretically, that container with that amount of water at 85°C should be losing just under 0.7 kWh while uncovered. It's either a bit higher or the PID tuning isn't ideal; with plain water my Anova can't get the temperature above 85.2°C on the display with that setup (about 84°C in reality). Covering the container massively reduces heat loss to evaporation, so it has no problem maintaining a much higher temperature with the same amount of water. I just happened to choose exactly the right container, water depth, and temperature to make it misbehave without a cover.

TL;DR cover your container.

If you can set the display offset through the app interface, is there any chance there is a flag in the SDK to permanently enable the timer?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Kenji says in the comments for the original recipe that it does have a pretty strong raw garlic flavour when cooked sous vide. You can either pre-sautee the garlic or use garlic powder if that's a problem.