Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/Grant-Instruments-SV-PS20-Polypropylene-Spheres/dp/B00K52QPWA/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp

Decide what sounds best to you.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
:ssh: Take the protective plastic off the display.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I guess I'll just buy that third party Android app since I'd like to calibrate it some time before 2016.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I bought the third party Android app which is $2.25 in the Google Play Canada store. It's pretty basic but it connects just fine and has some handy features. Calibration was quick and easy and persists when the unit is unplugged. I had some fun playing around with the colour of the scroll wheel. Bluetooth range is too lovely to monitor the cook temp from where I sit in the house, but I'm going to keep using the app because setting the timer on the Anova itself is such a ridiculous procedure.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I'm curious to know if anyone else is having similar issues with their Anova Precision. The metal skirt on mine is now really loose and wobbly in all the possible attachment orientations. I also noticed the impeller is off-centre and can actually rub against the plastic cap if you attach the clip certain ways. Speaking of the clip, the paint on the bottom is peeling and bubbling where it sits in the moving water at the minimum fill line in a small container.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Ola posted:

For the greater good, I am now doing a test on un-sauteed onions at 85C. Will it explode and cover the scattered ruins of my neighbourhood in sweet browniness? Or will it just inflate the bag a bit but stay submerged due to the rock weighing it down? We shall see.

Also added a piece of star anise out of curiosity.

Well, good luck. I've never had a bag explode, but they'll give off a ton of water vapour and make it puff up. It works much better if you briefly sautee them first.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I have a Demi and several ICs, and I actually think the Demi would be preferable for many people simply because it's a compact self-contained appliance. I have a much easier time selling the sour vide concept when it doesn't involve messing around with cutting holes in Cambros or setting up ICs in pots and pans. I suspect most GWS members would prefer the versatility of an IC, though.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The Demi's footprint isn't really all that different from the Cambros everyone likes to use anyway. I appreciate that I can use a little pot to cook a few eggs if I want, but the main reason I have the IC is for the versatility of using larger containers when necessary. I don't think anyone is describing the Demi as more versatile since it clearly isn't. Sous vide is niche enough as it is without telling people they need to order a Cambro and cut holes in it or leave a pot of sloshing water out on their counter covered with foil. A silent self-contained device is a useful option for many people.

I'm not saying the Demi is a better sous vide device. I rarely use mine anymore and I already said most goons would probably prefer an IC. I just think it has a place in the market and tends to be ignored for silly reasons.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
That's my main issue with the Demi as well. I think we shared photos way back in the thread. There are various other non-circulating water baths available, though.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I use sous vide chicken for various cold Chinese dishes, and I definitely prefer it at 150°F rather than 140°F. The 140°F chicken has an unusual squishy texture when it's chilled.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
That's a somewhat common problem with long low-temp cooks, particularly 48-72 hour short ribs. It's a good practice to sterilize the surface of the meat. You can torch, sear, or just dunk them in and out of a pot of boiling water.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Anova and Sansaire both sell direct on their web sites. I don't think either of them have any resellers.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

I rather like the design of this thing, especially the thought given to preventing water intrusion and minimizing the size to fit in drawers. It will be a somewhat hard sell for $299, but after using various Anovas I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for a slightly more solidly built device I am confident will last longer. I am extremely wary about the long-term prospects of any device that relies on apps for control, though.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Not sure until we test, but it's 1100w, compared to the Precision's 800w. The Precision definitely starts struggling when you approach 4-5 gallons.

The Anova One was 1000w

In my experience, most of the problems people have with struggling heaters are because they're using large uncovered containers. Evaporative heat loss is a real bitch. If you're running one of those big 4.75 gallon Cambros uncovered at anything above 175°F, the heat loss out the top is greater than the full capacity of the Precision's heating element.