Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats the best place to get one of these new devices if you're in England?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Do Anova have any plans to release in Europe because I'd like to get one since I don't have space for anything currently available here

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Using a torch to make sure its completely dry then using cast iron to sear it seems the best way

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How much was shipping to the UK for anyone who bought an Anova?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jose posted:

How much was shipping to the UK for anyone who bought an Anova?

I hate to repost but it seems everyone here order in the US/Canada?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Are there any new things by Anova coming out or should I just order one now?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'll just order the Anova precision cooker then and wait for it. I'd probably be waiting a couple of weeks for international shipping anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How useful are vacuum sealers or can I get away with the ziploc + water technique and what is the recommended cook book for doing sous vide stuff?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Isn't the limiting factor thickness? In that case I would just separate the point from the flat.

Or if I just want shredded beef is there something better than brisket?

If you're just after shredded beef braise brisket in red wine and beef stock and shred it into the liquid like you would chili

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Have Anova only mailed out the kickstarter backer Anova Precisions yet? I ordered mine only last month and haven't had an email

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't really see why a non-microwavable bag wouldn't be suitable for this. The way they heat up and the temperatures reached are very different

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

I may toy with the idea of getting a tenderloin and wrapping the belly around it with meat glue next time. Does anyone have any tips or experiences with that?

You could just get your butcher to cut you a belly with the loin already attached instead of doing that

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm starting to wish I'd just ordered the anova one instead of the precision now since I'm still waiting for it to be shipped

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

SubG posted:

How did black garlic suddenly enter the public consciousness? I'm actually curious. It's not like it was exactly a secret or obscure or whatever, but it seems like it's suddenly getting a lot more play lately.

Was in an episode of bobs burgers? This is like 2 weeks ago or something though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Since I'm still waiting on my Anova Precision due to the 220v delay,is there a specific thickness of meat that you're not supposed to do?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My anova has shipped to the uk :getin:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Whats the best way to get colour on chicken breast without it sticking to the pan? Other than use a non-stick but I think that would lead to overcooking and defeating the point. I used high heat + oil but by the time I wanted to turn them over they stuck a bit. Not the end of the world but annoying

Its my first time using my anova and its to add to salad for lunch at work

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I was more worried about the high temperatures damaging the non-stick coating and lower temperature seems like it would overcook the inside more

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

When is the bag juice usable? I keep seeing different opinions

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've picked up some lamb neck since it was on sale for my first long cook. Any recommendations for time/temp? I saw 24 hours at 55C on a site

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

In the event I get a power cut over night meat is ruined?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They're normally extremely rare but it happened twice in the last week for some reason

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The lamb neck I did for 24 hours at 55C came out great. Wasn't really sure what to expect since its my first time cooking for a long time so I put them in the oven briefly before searing.

If I cook something and it goes bad for whatever reason, is it immediately obvious from sight/smell like normal?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Anyone got a recommendation for a gammon joint about 1kg? I'm not sure how they different from the ham joints I see with online recipes. There is no bone for one thing though and they're uncooked .

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got a silverside cut of beef that I'd normally roast that is around 3 inches thick in something close to a cube. Can I puddle it and then sear to finish? It weighs a little under 1kg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

The annoying part about a crockpot is that I have one but it has digital controls so won't work for a PID system and I don't want a second one eating up space. For the extra $20 I think I'd be happier with the pot mounted type.

I want to try eggs, but the constant mention of "watery" egg whites makes me want to barf. I hope when or if I make eggs they aren't "watery".

I think the real answer is that I should do more recipe research and see if a sous vide cooker will be worthwhile for me.

Thanks for the input everyone.

E: With the Anova Precision Cooker's video it shows zip-lock bags and not vacuum sealed ones, can I skip buying a vacuum sealer or are they more necessary than the video makes out?

I've done eggs once since I got mine, I did them for 13 minutes or so at 75C rather than the longer cook and there was some watery white, but that was the crap that would be lost conventionally poaching eggs.

I got mine because I won some money betting on football and I like to cook. I'm not going to be an extremely heavy user of it but if you like to cook and feel like you have the money spare then its a good idea

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How long should I do rib eye steak for? Douglas Baldwin's book suggests 6-8 hours for it which seems a bit long since most online guides only call for 1-2 hours depending on thickness

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Any recommendations for skirt steak? Can that do short cook times too or should I give it longer?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What veg is worth sous viding? I did the serious eats carrots but I don't see any benefit over just doing them in a pan in butter anyway considering that I still have to clean a pan after

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I need to do more poached eggs since the one time I did them they were great, however I did them following chef steps guide of 13 minutes at 75C and not needing to be put into water after. I'd recommend giving it a go for anyone who's doing them for 45 minutes + poaching in a pan anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Any advice for a sous vide gammon joint? Most recipes come with US terms for things and I don't know how this is sold in the US

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Everyone who does 45 minute eggs should give this a go if they haven't since its so much faster

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/75-c-egg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I used my anova for pork chops but they weren't very thick. They were juicy once seared but not really special. If it a case of them being too thin and seared too long or was doing them at 138 a mistake? IT was mostly midway between serious eats medium rare/medium

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've been sticking a pirex bowl full of the sous vide water into the pot to keep things submerged and not had any problems. is that a bad idea?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm sure someone could manage to use ping pong balls to burn their kitchen down despite being in water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj0GTJnR_HI

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Midniter posted:

That was MUCH more entertaining than I expected.

It was mostly an excuse to post the video

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've had my anova for a few months now and I only just got around to using it to cook steak and drat

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cross posting from the photo thread but 30 hour at 130F Silverside/Eye of round(?)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

drukqs posted:

do you use a vac sealer or ziplocs? do you agree with the sentiment that ziplocs should be avoided for multi-day cooking?

I double bagged using ziplocs or at least the supermarket generic. I single bagged it the first time I did this but decided not to risk it after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What is peoples preference for steak times/temps/cuts? I'm wondering if 131f is too high when aiming for medium rare. It says on serious eats not to cook for more than 2 and a half hours if under 130f but I can't find out why