Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

LTBS posted:

Awesome. Awesome to the Max.

Just ordered the Anova. Gonna run by one of the restaurant supply places around here and grab a decent sized bin and find some ping pong balls somewhere else.

What is the deal with the ping pong balls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'd want to do a test with actual numbers, but it seems like a layer of aluminum foil would get the job done pretty darn well.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If the Nomiku is any indication, it takes a buttwhile to go from kickstart to market with a kitchen device. The Sansaire schedule seemed very aggressive when I looked at it; it's a shame they're not being more open about it.

Question:
I made some short ribs this weekend. Browned 'em, salted and peppered 'em, and popped them into plastic baggies with a sprig of thyme for 72 hours at 57.2 C. I then put them in the fridge overnight (we were going out to eat with a guest that I didn't realize would be staying the whole weekend) and reheated them this evening. They smelled very strong. "Marrowy" is the world my girlfriend used. The meat had a great texture and tasted wonderful, but the strong smell was off-putting. I did leave the bone attached. Should I have removed that? Anything I should have done different?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Did you chill it in an ice bath properly after cooking it before putting it in the fridge?

Nope. I don't have an ice maker, so I stuck them in the freezer for ~30 minutes before moving them to the fridge. I'm reasonably comfortable that they were in the danger zone for a sufficiently small amount of time, as it wasn't a lot of food.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SirRobin posted:

Somewhere at home I have a recipe for making ice with a freezer. Should I post it for you?

Only if it's quick. I'm terrible at planning ahead.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

So then why sous vide it?

You could throw it in the oven at 130 for a while, but air is a poor conductor of heat.

You could throw it in the oven at a higher temperature, but then the plastic that the ham is sold in would melt.

You could remove the plastic and then reheat it hotter, but then the juice from the ham would evaporate.

If you're already a nerd with an immersion circulator hammer, reheating a ham looks like a nail.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Ok, bags inflating can be a sign that bacteria is working in there which is a bad thing.

I don't think bacteria could be working all that hard at 179 F.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, I've zip-locked for 72 hours before. Ain't no thing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

It seems the Nomiku only has an inch and a quarter between the maximum and minimum water level. That could be problematic for 24+ hour recipes.

It's not. I cover the pot I'm SVing in with aluminum foil, and I've experienced negligible water loss over a 72 hour recipe.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

BagSoakEat has a collection of fruit and veg SV recipes (by which I mean times and temperatures without a lot of elaboration).
http://bagsoakeat.com/categories

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My girlfriend brought home a vacuum packed frozen brick of mahi mahi steaks from Trader Joe's. Is there anything wrong with letting that sit in the water bath all day at 55 degrees and then separating them, or should I separate, re-bag, and cook?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

TATPants posted:

The Nomiku is the worst of the bunch due to its limited water height issue (long cooks are out unless you have a covered container that is the correct height for it). The other two are a split decision based on if you want a turn knob or an LCD.

I know I'm defending the Nom because I bought one, but this isn't the case. I've done 72 hour cooks in mine in whatever pot I happened to have available. I just covered it with tinfoil and the water loss was negligible.

It's pretty much as good as the other two, just more expensive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

A piece of meat is going to have roughly the same thermal inertia as an equivalent amount of water. I can't imagine the inside of the meat is going to notice a difference whether you drop it into hot water or drop it into heating water.

SlayVus posted:

Maybe someone has done this or can do this, but I have a question.

Would/could/have you use(d) a stand alone water pump with the anova or sansaire to increase the water circulation when cooking large batches of food to lower temperature differentials in the water?

I don't think it's an issue of circulation, I think it's an issue of BTUs. A sufficiently large body of water is going to radiate heat at a certain rate (depending on what shape it's in, what the vessel is made out of, ambient air temperature, etc.; let's assume we're using aluminum stock pots). When your aluminum stock pot gets big enough and your water hot enough, it will radiate heat faster than your immersion circulator can pump heat into it. If you're desperate to SV two or three entire frozen turkeys, you can team several immersion circulators together.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I swear to god, half the people in this loving thread must live like AIDS patients or The Boy in the Bubble. It's loving food. Heat it up for a while and eat it, you're not going to get botulism.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

Anyone got time/temp recs for scallops? I'm planning to do some up tonight.

http://bagsoakeat.com/recipes/scallops-whole

60c for 10 minutes

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Just took out my 72 hour ribs and chilled them in a sink full of ice water. There was a little gassing but nothing concerning but the outside of the meat had a greenish-grayish-brownish tinge. No funny smell, just intense beefy-ness. Two of the bags had liquid the other two had the liquid turn into jelly instead. Trimmed and blocked the meat and re sealed. Juices in a container ready to reduce into sauce. Kept the bones to blanch them or dry them or whatever for service in a ridiculous manner like MC showed.

I hope I don't kill everyone.

Same thing happened to me. You didn't happen to sear them beforehand, did you?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I was listening to the Giant Bombcast and they mentioned Sous-vide, and well, it seems pretty awesome. Is there a general consensus on which immersion circulator is best? I read the OP and its between the Anova and the sansaire for me...

Those are both so last week. We're all about dunking the tip of an oxymapp torch in grape juice now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I noticed in the OP there is a link to a sousvide guide on the iphone. Unfortunately I have a droid and such a guide doesn't exist. My anova arrived today and I was hoping to find a good webpage guide/easy to use droid app that contains all relevant temperature and cook times for various types of foods?

bagsoakeat.com

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Awesome thank you! Any recommendations on a good cut of beef to try and sous vide for the first time?

Also for this website, I'm assuming this is assuming the meat is not frozen correct but room temperature or how does it work, because wouldn't the temperature of the meat affect the cook time?

Most times refer to cooking the food straight out of the refrigerator. From frozen, add an additional 30 minutes per inch of thickness. For longer cook times, it all works out in the end.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This is totally wrong, cook time does not vary linearly with thickness.

As a rule of thumb shamelessly stolen from the SVSuprime website, it works ok. Are you frequently cooking very thick frozen cuts of meat?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I am not, but sous vide stuff is something that is more dangerous than almost every other form if cookery if done wrong so maybe we shouldn't give bad unqualified advice in this thread?

:rolleyes: Yes, vizzling is literally on par with whipping up some fugu after watching a couple of videos on youtube.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

:smug:No broken Nomikus yet. :smug:

I guess that's what an extra $100 buys you.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I made last page's scrambled eggs for breakfast, only, I was running late, so I grabbed the baggie and took it to work. When I got there, I made this:

Hot drat it was tasty. Maybe next time I'll use pepper too (didn't have any at the office).

It's a shame my SO is weird about eggs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Are you kidding me? When I make hard boiled eggs, guess who gets all the hard boiled eggs!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Aluminum pot. If I'm feeling fancy, I put it inside a slightly large aluminum pot and put tinfoil over that to keep the warm in.

Some of these nerds really like the Coleman Party Stacker cooler: http://blog.nomiku.com/post/81416297888/tuesday-tip-hack-a-cooler-home-for-your-nomiku

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

I'd go cooler over Cambro. Cambros are expensive, and there's no insulation. I have no idea why they're so popular for sous vide rigs.

Restaurants already have a million kicking around so they puddle in 'em, people who don't think critically see that, and then they buy cambros too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MeKeV posted:

Has anyone come across, or compiled, a decent set of "sous vide for convenience" type recipes. Along the lines of the curry in a bag mentioned a few pages a go.

I'd love to be able to bulk prep for the week, either pre cooking at the weekend and chill or sticking in a bag ready to puddle the morning of. But I've not had enough puddling practise yet, so wondering if there's some tried and tested meals in a bag?

Take 2 lbs ground beef and some salt + pepper, and form it into 8 burger patties, roughly 1" thick. Bag individually, and puddle at 138*F or so for anywhere between 1.5 and 4 hours (I like to get this started after dinner, and then forget about them until just before bed). Stick 'em in an ice bath, and then into the fridge. Congratulations, you have pre-made hamburgers for the next week or so. You can sear them in a pan if you're feeling fancy, or just toss them in the microwave at work.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I was at the grocery store and I saw some vacuum packed, pre-sauced ribs, so I decided to try 72 hour ribs: easy mode.

Step 1: remove the paper and soak:

The bitchin' pot-within-a-pot helps to insulate -- probably. It at least keeps my cats from brushing up against a hot metal pot when they jump on the counter.

Step 2: set course for 57 degrees:

Nomiku running at peak efficiency, captain!

Step 3: aluminum foil on top to keep the wet stuff in.

Hasta la vizzle, baby.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Save energy and get a Coleman Party Stacker Cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXoRMwP-Cg0

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Phantom Limb posted:

What's the best UPS to buy for my Anova?

I betcha something like this would manage.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/APC-Smart-UPS-1500-LCD-UPS-1.2-kW-1200-VA/2940077.aspx

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Next contestant in the race for a reasonably priced immersion circulator: the Wifi-enabled Nomiku

Pre-order one for $149 here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/new-nomiku-sous-vide-wifi-connected-and-made-in-th

edit: 4 inches between the min and max lines, and made in the USA! I think they learned some lessons following their headaches in the Chinese factory.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 12, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm known for my cavalier attitude toward food safety, but you're perfectly okay. I can't imagine the exposed pork section dipped into the danger zone at all.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Sansaire fails most, the Anovas are pretty sturdy, and the o.g. Nomiku is most expensive. If you want to wait until next year for something with Wifi, get this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/new-nomiku-sous-vide-wifi-connected-and-made-in-th

There's also that fancy one with the happy name that I forget. What's it called? Cloud-cooker? Smile-cooker?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Mellow? The one that will keep it cold before and after it cooks it? And that I also believe has a goon involved with it?

That's the one! Thanks!

Keep cold after seems like a gigantic pain in the butt rapidly chilling water. Unfortunately, you can't cool stuff by dumping electricity through a resistor like you can heating stuff.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hed posted:

For DIYers, what water pumps have you guys had good luck with? I have cycled through a couple models on Amazon, Harbor Freight, etc. and it's always after a hot cook (>150) that it seems to really wreak havoc on the pump. Which makes sense, I'm using aquarium pumps and running these things far outside their design range. I usually spend $10-20 per pump and have an extra on hand just in case but is there a model you guys like? I probably average a new one every 6 mos.

I never ran a pump. The temperature gradient across my water bath was small enough that I didn't care, and I wasn't doing anything super-delicate anyway.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh my god.

I puddled some burgers at 58 degrees for a few hours (waiting for my wife to get home) then tossed 'em on the grill for about two minutes per side. Way easier than cooking them on the skillet. Decent char, and like a mile of medium rare surrounded by a few millimeters of grey meat.

I mixed some "fajita seasoning" in with the beef, and the bag juice smelled like the best gravy ever. I really wanted to save it, but didn't feel like doing anything with it right then.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Test Pattern posted:

OK. Should I worry about air in the headspace? IE: Do I want the attachment to evacuate a mason jar using my foodsaver?

No need to worry about it.

http://blog.nomiku.com/post/94014107772/how-to-make-dulce-de-leche

I asked the lady about it, and she says it's fine as long as you allow some room for the liquid to expand. The air will compress; it won't damage the jar.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

A cambro basically offers no advantage over vizzling in a stock pot you already own if you use aluminum foil to make a lid. If you already own a cambro, go nuts! If you don't, buying one is silly (unless you need to vizzle and use the stock pot at the same time, then w/e).

A cooler offers the advantage of insulation over a cambro. That means your temperature is more stable, your IC's heater is on less, and you're dumping less money into your anal retentive cooking method.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

honestly who gives a poo poo

times a hundred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

My Anova arrived yesterday but didn't come with a manual for some reason. I don't have a Searzall but hopefully a hot pan will be good enough.

Is there a depository of recipes for this thing somewhere? I wanna sous vide some stuff.

http://bagsoakeat.com/