Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

What happened exactly? Did it get mushy or denature or something?

Acid marinades will tenderize the meat, which is great for a regular marinade but bad if you're going to marinade then cook with the same acid for another 72h.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mindphlux posted:

D. who the gently caress microwaves anything at all for 45 minutes???

How else are you supposed to cook a prime rib roast?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jose posted:

I used my anova for pork chops but they weren't very thick. They were juicy once seared but not really special. If it a case of them being too thin and seared too long or was doing them at 138 a mistake? IT was mostly midway between serious eats medium rare/medium

If they're thin, you can't really sear them properly without overcooking them and might as well just sear without cooking sous-vide first.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hauki posted:

Yeah, I've got one that I still use as a secondary, but I can't recommend it in light of any of the actual home circulators that have come out in say, the past four or five years.

I have the original sous-vide supreme, and it's prefect for what it does but I would never buy another one in in favour of a real circulator. Especially since they cost the same.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Phanatic posted:

I get them in the individually-vacuum-packed family packs at Wegmans, and then just cut off the individual packs and dump them straight in at 140F. At 140F, you need to sit at that temp for 35 minutes to be safe, but since I'm taking them right out of the freezer and cooking them, I leave them in the bath for a couple of hours just to be sure.

Once they're cooked, do whatever you want with them.

Like wrap them in proscuitto and finish them off in a pan with some white wine, garlic, capers, and mushrooms.

Careful if you're worried about pasteurizing, you add a ton of time to what is required if you start from frozen.

(from http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

If you're going to be feeding immunocompromised people, Douglas Baldwin's A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking is free and has pasteurization time tables for different sizes of different types of things.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I really honestly wouldn't bother using a non-chamber sealer over a ziplock bag.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just use ziploc bags. You don't need a vacuum sealer unless you are a professional kitchen

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

drukqs posted:

yeah what do you all think about those plastic balls they sell to supposedly keep heat in? I take it foil is just as good, and at a fraction of the price?

Just use a couple dozen pingpong balls. Metal transmits heat extremely efficiently, and something full of air does not.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

taqueso posted:

We just need ping pong cubes, someone could make a fortune.

Quick, go find a maker space to 3d print them.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

homercles posted:

I've ordered the fathers day special Anova (regrettably not the Ebay special price :gonk:), any advice on affordable commodity vacuum bags + sealer which won't incur too much of an Australia Tax? I read that the reusable bags (the ones with a navel you can pump from) lose their ability to hold a vacuum after a few uses, and I suspect that for those reusable bags every company/ebay seller seems to have their own incompatible attachments.

Just use ziploc heavy-duty freezer bags unless you feel like buying a chamber sealer.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I've never been led astray by Kenji, Thomas Keller or Mario Batali. Everything they write about looks awesome.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

If you chop them up then they don't look like meatfish when you put them in the circulator though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

deimos posted:

2" requires 2hr @ 65 to pasteurize...

Personally I'd do 2:30 @ 60 if I was in a hurry or 5hr @ 55 if not.

They don't need to pasteurize it unless they're doing something weird. North American pork basically has no issues with trichinosis anymore.

It would be a bigger deal if they were storing it lots after or something like that.