Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
For those of you who own Keller's Under Pressure, is this the kind of book that would be helpful to the home cook who owns an Anova and wants to use his puddle machine for mostly simple weekday preparations, or would it be cozying up on my bookshelf next to the Alinea cookbooks? If so, any other recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Straker posted:

That's one red, one black, who else needs one?!

I'm in for one in black! Pm'ed you to work out the details.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

sellouts posted:

I wanted one for a while, I just refuse to purchase anything via kickstarter.

Then don't? They sell these things on loving Amazon.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

What are your go to resources for SV recipes, temps and times, etc.?

I'm probably going to buy a copy of Under Pressure, but was wondering if anyone had any other books or sites that they prefer. Tangentially related: is Modernist Cuisine at Home worth the :10bux:?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I was thinking that Under Pressure was more of a primer/reference on sous vide techniques and times etc., so I'll probably sit tight on it based on your feedback.

I still have the Alinea cookbook floating around which I've cooked exactly one recipe from; I don't really feel like making that mistake again.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Straker posted:

Hi, I came to post that Anova is finally shipping, meaning I should have my five cookers in the next month or so assuming everyone is still interested! I saw someone already said this but had some other things to say!

Still interested, and very freakin excited to finally get my puddle on! I think you may have just convinced me that corned beef should be the first thing I make.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

After listening to the Cooking Issues podcast for a couple of weeks, I not only believe that Dave would earnestly suggest that, I 100% believe he'd do it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Eesh, I'm never getting mine :(

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

If you have Prime, Amazon has the Anova One as a Gold Box Deal for $139.99. Going fast!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_p=1965626602

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I did Voltaggio's chicken thighs last night for my first recipe with the Anova. It was pretty good, but I think I should have done a chicken breast instead to really see a night and day difference. Oh well.

Gonna do some 72 hour short ribs next. :getin:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Today I learned that I'm a moron who can't count and that 72 hours from Thursday is Sunday, not Saturday as originally believed. Does anyone have first hand experience with 48 hour short ribs at 144*? My google searches suggest it'll still be awesome, but I don't know if it's worth leaving some in the bath til Sunday.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Thanks to everyone for confirming that my short ribs will be, in fact, delicious. Also thanks for posting that site, I have been reading through it all drat day. It's a gold mine!

E: I've just been using foil to cover my puddle and it hasn't seemed to be a problem in terms of keeping temperature loss or evaporation at a minimum. Any real reason that I should look into balls or a lid?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 14, 2014

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

My 48 hour short ribs were a bit disappointing, if I'm being honest. The meat was tender and delicious but I was turned off by the fact that the fat didn't really melt and there were huge chunks of it that were a pain to cut around. I also chose not to season or pre-sear them in any way (modernist cuisine at home seemingly doesn't recommend doing so), so the flavor wasn't as concentrated as it could have been.

Regarding the fattiness tho, is this just how it goes, or was there something wrong with my cook time, temp, or product? I did them at 144 for 48 hours.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Did you sear afterwards? What temperature did you cook to?

I used my torch to sear them once they came out of the bags, and I cooked them at 144. I dunno, just seemed like the fat didn't melt like it should have and there were large chunks in the meat.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

My family is very impressed with my fancy puddle machine so I've been tasked to handle the meat for Thanksgiving this year. Thing is, no one wants turkey. So, any suggestions for meat, time and temps for something that could stand in for a thanksgiving turkey? I'm thinking rib roast, tenderloin, pork shoulder, or something along those lines.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I can't speak for many of the cookers you listed but I have an Anova One and have been really impressed with it. I impulse bought it during a Goldbox deal for $130 after getting tired of waiting for my Anova Precision (that I'm still waiting for :saddowns:) and now after reading some of the other first impressions of the Precision in this thread, I'm kind of feeling like the One is the better of the two anyway.

So far my impressions of the One:

Pros: powerful, quick to heat, accurate temp controller, reliably keeps 4.5 gallons of water at temp without issue (I've gone up to 190 with no problems), solid construction

Cons: a lot bigger than expected (doesn't easily attach to any of my pots), sort of janky UI, some features missing i.e. ability to start timer automatically when temp is reached, no mobile support.

If the One goes on sale tomorrow for Cyber Monday I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. Assuming mobile support isn't a must have for you, and you can deal with a little bit of UI quirkiness, it does what it's designed to do extremely well.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I just finished the pork belly porchetta recipe from Serious Eats last night. Probably the best thing I've made with my Anova so far. We made sandwiches on ciabatta with dijon mustard, salsa verde and aged provolone. This prep would also work perfectly sliced on a plate with pan sauce and a side. The pan sauce made from the bag juice was amazing, I moved the bag directly from the sous vide bath to an ice bath which caused all of the juice to immediately congealed into a clear gelatin that was like an extra concentrated stock. That also allowed me to avoid the fat, making the sauce way easier to make without it breaking on me. A+ would make again.

I may toy with the idea of getting a tenderloin and wrapping the belly around it with meat glue next time. Does anyone have any tips or experiences with that?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Schpyder posted:

Finally got a chance to play around with my Anova Precision yesterday and today. Only got to check the temperature stability yesterday (awesome, within 0.1 F of my Thermapen), and today, I used it to vizzle something for the first time. JFC, you fuckers were not kidding about vizzled eggs. Holy loving poo poo.

What time and temp was this, and did you poach them afterwards? I've tried eggs twice so far and while they've been good, they have yet to come out looking as good as yours.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have had problems even with fresh eggs. I figured the "boil 3 minutes, ice bath to cool, vizzle 62C for an hour" approach would work, but the whites don't set enough and are impossible to peel. I usually have to boil them again to get the whites to set. One time the whites set great but the yolks turned to fudge. Good but not what I was going for.

Yeah, this has been my experience exactly.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Tonight is guys night, so that means, steak, bourbon, brussel sprouts, mashed potato, and caesar salad.

I'm going to be picking up a couple of nice steaks (torn on strip/tbone vs ribeye) and debating using the umamai booster from Modernist.

Ingredients:

3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. MSG (freaked out? Don’t be)
3 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. roasted garlic, minced
1 tbsp. blue cheese
½ tsp. anchovy paste
Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
To season, divide the marinade among the bags, add the steak, and vacuum seal using your preferred method. This can be done just before cooking.

I figure that, then two-ish hours at 129.6 for a nice medium rare while i make the potatoes ahead of time for re-heating.

Has anyone tried the above booster? Does it interfere with any finishing flavors like a compound/regular butter? Can you make a killer pan sauce out of it after the puddle?
Has anyone compared sear then puddle vs puddle then sear? Is it worth doing backwards?

Yep, a couple of weeks back I did two bone in rib eyes, one marinated in the umami booster for 24 hours, the other done traditionally with a presear. People liked the umami steak better, although both were delicious. It is definitely a noticeable flavor, but not overpowering. If I were going to use it with an add'l accoutrement I'd probably stick with something complimentary like blue cheese, sautéed mushrooms etc.

We also found that a presear is not really worth it, as there wasn't any noticeable difference from others I've done in the past.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Important distinction: Light or Dark Soy? Since i have both.

Edit: Urrrrgh. How da fuq do you foodsaver/seal an item with a liquid.i've but the steaks in the marinade in the fridge to do its thing, but I had to use a ziploc and the dunk method. At this point I'll probably just puddle them together in the gallon bag since they are side by side and not stacked. Or IIshould I really pull them, dump the marinade and proper vac?

I used dark but it shouldn't matter much either way.

Freezing the liquid definitely works, otherwise for a shorter cook the ziploc bag trick works fine.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

It would be real nice if they could finish the products they've already released before moving on to the next innovation...still wishing the App actually existed.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Whoever it was that recommended chicken breasts with enchilada sauce for ~1.5 hours at 140, thank you. That poo poo was amazing and made the best pollo guisado tacos ever.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

just use a pan, it's not worth it

Seriously, this. Sure you get less of a "grey ring" with a torch but in every instance I've tried so far, the sear I've gotten from a pan has been vastly crustier and tastier than the sear I get from a torch. The only instances where I will still go for the torch are things like scallops, foie gras, super delicate fish and sometimes steaks.

Basically anything that is either of a sufficiently small portion size where a pan could overcook a disproportionate amount of the food or anything with super high fat content is when I reach for the torch.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Mr Executive posted:

In about 6 hours I'll be eating my first attempt at short ribs.In researching, I was surprised at the vastly different cooking times/temps you can find online. I assumed there would be huge variances on time to account for differences in texture, but why is there such a variance in temperatures (once you get to the long cook times of short ribs, I would think the higher temps would produce thoroughly well-done meat)? I ended up picking somewhere in middle of what I found (48h at 140). Early this morning, though, I woke up to the low-water alarm on my Anova. When I got to it, the temperature had dropped to 118. Am I gonna die when I eat this? I have no idea how quickly water will lose heat, but I would estimate the pot had about 4 gallons of water in it and it dropped 22 degrees. Is this long enough for anything bad to happen? I'm still probably going to eat them anyway, I just want to know if I should sleep with a bucket next to the bed.

Also, is there a trick to not breaking eggs? I've cooked 6-10 eggs three times. One time everything went fine. The other 2 times I had one or two eggs crack/chip and the white whisped out. It didn't really affect anything (hopefully this little bit of loose white doesn't gum up the circulator/etc.. but I'm wondering if this is a general issue with sous vide eggs. Should I be restraining them somehow so they aren't being kicked around in turbulent water?

I think a lot of the discrepancies have to do with sous vide being a relatively new cooking method in the realm of the amateur chef. You see a lot of people experimenting and while there are definitely some leaders in the field (Doug Baldwin, Nathan Myrvold, Kenji Alt-Lopez), there's also a lot of static of different people of wildly varying expertise either knowingly or unknowingly trying new things. I tend to stick with Modernist Cuisine's recommendations, and I fill in the gaps with Baldwin while keeping in mind that his times and temps tend to be a little bit more conservative and skewed towards guaranteeing food safety. Kenji is great for complete recipes and ideas. Anyway, Chefsteps just recently made this "map" for sous vide times and temps, which makes for a pretty neat way to visualize the general temperature and time ranges that you should consider for a given protein or vegetable: http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-map-of-sous-vide-cooking

I had the exact same issue with eggs last night. I have some wire baskets like this that I usually use upside-down to keep stuff from floating too much during long cooks. Rightside-up, they'd probably be perfect to keep eggs in a more confined space so that they don't knock around too much. I'll have to give it a try next time.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Jose posted:

Whats the best way to get colour on chicken breast without it sticking to the pan? Other than use a non-stick but I think that would lead to overcooking and defeating the point. I used high heat + oil but by the time I wanted to turn them over they stuck a bit. Not the end of the world but annoying

Its my first time using my anova and its to add to salad for lunch at work

Use a cast iron pan. Put more oil in than you think you need.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

toplitzin posted:

i just pulled some 48@145 pork ribs out of the bath. Due to changed plans i wont be serving them 'til Saturday.

Should i just bath them for another 24 and fridge for 48, or will 72 in the fridge be ok?

Those babies are pasteurized. You can pull them, throw them in an ice bath until cool, and then store them in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone ever done pork cheeks? I've never had pork cheeks but recently found out that I have pretty easy access to them. I assume I'd give them the pork belly treatment, something like 72 hours @ 144 or so, but any first-hand experience and advice would be welcome.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Mr Executive posted:

I just tried it and, although good, I don't think it was really worth the extra effort. I threw the shrimp in a bag with some butter, lemon zest and a little garlic salt. Vizzled for 30 minutes at 140. When it was done, I tossed the bag juice (butter) with fettuccine, sauteed eggplant, lemon juice, lemon zest, and parmesan. Then I added the shrimp and ate. Like I said, it was good, but I don't think it was very distinguishable from normal sauteed shrimp.

Hmm, I wonder if a lower temp would make more of a difference. I imagine that 140 would still give you a bit of rubbery texture. I'd try it at something closer to 120.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Oh awesome, 35 new posts in the sous vide thread! I bet they're talking about some sweet new techni-...oh.

Speaking of cool new techniques, I was reading a Munchies article the other day about how using sous vide for cocktail infusion is like, the new big thing in Bangkok. Has anyone ever tried that with good results? There's a fairly well known Thai restaurant around the corner from me that makes a kefir lime infused gin and tonic which is the best G&T I've ever had by a long shot...so now I'm wondering if that may be what they're up to.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

So far the things that have been most impressive to me have been chicken breasts (140 for 45 minutes with whatever seasonings you please) and the salmon mi cuit recipe from chefsteps.

I love the first because you get an amazing level of juiciness and succulence from such a ubiquitous and boring piece of meat, purely by virtue of precision cooking. I love the second because you get an otherworldly texture from the salmon (it's like a combination of lox and perfectly cooked fresh salmon) that you literally can't achieve in any other way.

To me, that sums up the range of applications for sous vide. You can use it to perfectly cook something without much effort, so that it doesn't necessarily blow you away but is still very satisfying. And then you can also use it to achieve transformative textures and flavors that become the centerpiece of a dish. I find that the former is always appreciated by the cook and the guests alike but isn't the best if you are specifically trying to impress people on sous vide specifically. Meanwhile, the latter will always strike people as crazy and they'll be impressed by the effort you put in, but it's not always a guarantee that the less adventurous eaters will love it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

A new challenger appears!

Frankly there's not too much about this that sways me away from my Anova, but if I didn't already have a circulator, I'd definitely give the Joule a closer look.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

G-III posted:

Unfortunately for my Anova blue tooth immersion circulator the plastic clamp piece has broken with a nice split running down the center of the ring. Has anyone had any experience getting replacement parts from Anova? I can't see anywhere where you can just get a replacement for the clamp attachment. The actual circulator itself is undamaged and working just fine, I just need to replace the clamp.

You should just contact their support team. From what I understand, they are very generous with warranty replacements even when the warranty has expired.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I got a "rib roast" for Christmas dinner tomorrow which appears to be just a slightly thicker rib eye cut. It's about 3 inches thick. Any reason I can't treat this as a regular rib eye steak and do it at 132 for an hour or two?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

It came out perfect, thanks guys!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

The other thing about the Joule that really makes me want it is the magnetized bottom, making clips/screws unnecessary for use in shallow pots. Ive been considering trying to mod my Anova with a rare earth magnet, but I'm afraid that it would screw up the movement of the propeller.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Are there different kinds of brisket? Doing some preliminary reading before I try my hand at some, do flat and point have to be cooked separately?

e: Also god drat there's a billion different recipes for this thing, temperatures ranging from 129 to 170 what the hell

Not necessarily different kinds, but a cut of brisket has two ends - the (fatty) point and the (lean) tip. Sometimes you only get one or the other when you buy a piece of brisket but in general you should have both and you do not need to cook them separately. They will come out with different textures due to the difference in fat content, though.

I've found that I like my brisket best smoked for 3-4 hours and then cooked at 134 for 48 hours, but that yields a pink meat that not everyone is expecting out of a brisket. The cooks at higher temps yield the more traditional style gray colored meat, and are a lot closer to a braised brisket.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

The Anova is today's gold box deal on Amazon. $139 is a pretty decent price.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

dutchbstrd posted:

I bought this lovely ~2lbs bottom round roast at target for $10. I want to make sandwiches with it. I'm thinking 130F for 8-10hrs?

I followed this dude's recipe and it was a huge success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I did mine in a cast iron without issue. As long as it fits in the pan it should be ok, just make sure you have the tools and enough room to flip it.