Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DeeMurf posted:

Ok, and why is that? Seems to me that if it's a big enough piece of meat it would (potentially) take even longer than that to thaw out on my kitchen bench. Am I missing something here?

Part of the cooking process is reducing the levels of harmful organisms to SAFE levels. The temperature danger zone for any food is 70-120°F. In this zone, microorganisms reproduce at a high level. The proper methods for thawing food are in a refrigerator, under cold running water or in a microwave as part of the cooking process. The counter-top is not a safe place to thaw food.

Again, cooking REDUCES the level of harmful bacteria to SAFE levels. Cooking does not kill all bacteria and some bacteria can hibernate during the cooking process.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Seasoning them before putting them in the freezer did nothing for you. I would suggest marinading your steak for a few days in your refrigerator before cooking them if you're going to season them like that.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is it better to get like one of the real rectangular cambro or a short and long rectangular cambro? They don't appear to have like regular square cambros.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Use oil instead of butter, it will give it a much better sear. If you want to add butter, finish with it instead.

What about clarified butter? It has a higher smoke point than olive and canola oil. Sure it's a little more involved, but it could make for more flavor since you're cooking with fat at that point.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I was doing some reading about Sous Vide for when I eventually get an Anova and I came across something a little disturbing about the use of plastics for sous vide.

I came across these two articles
http://www.chow.com/food-news/107898/cooking-sous-vide-in-plasticis-it-safe/
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/12463202060/cooking-sous-vide-plastic-safety

Basically, it boils down to this. Unless you're using FoodSaver bags, silicone bags, the SousVide Supreme bags, or other EA/BPA free plastics; estrogen is leaching from the plastic into your food.

I don't think this has been discussed in this thread and I'm not sure how common knowledge it is even for the professionals.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Most of the bags you see these days are BPA-free. I know my VacMaster bags are. Ziploc bags appear to be as well. Still worth checking to make sure when you're making your purchase, though.

EA free is different from BPA. EA releases estrogen.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Maybe someone has done this or can do this, but I have a question.

Would/could/have you use(d) a stand alone water pump with the anova or sansaire to increase the water circulation when cooking large batches of food to lower temperature differentials in the water?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Do all shipments of the Anova take up to 21 days to arrive? Because three weeks seems like a long time to wait for something. Is demand really just that high?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Isn't that a little dramatic? My understanding was that most of the badness on meat is on the outside, which will be taken care of by the sear.

I understand wanting to pasteurize for serving other people etc. For myself I've been eating a lot of rare to bleu meat recently (not ribeye tho)

Bacteria don't just live on the outside, they live on the inside of the meat. When spoiling bacteria become active, it doesn't matter whether you're meat is cooked or no it has already started to spoil.

You're not just cooking the outside of the meat when you stick in the water bath for 5-6 hours. You're pasteurizing the WHOLE product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I'm going to pick up a sous vide IC when my refund comes in. Is the Anova the go to IC to get right now?