Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Got my Anova on Friday. For $200 I'm impressed, it feels very well made.

Cooked up a ribeye at 127 F and seared in a cast iron skillet to finish. I was following the Serious Eats recipe so I seared for 30 seconds on one side, 1 minute on the other, then flipped back for 30 more seconds. Got a good crust but I think I seared for too long, one side ended up a bit greyer than I would have liked. One other adjustment I'll make the next time around is re-salt/peppering the steak after removing it from the water bath but before searing it. I think it will help produce a better crust with a stronger flavor.

Overall the taste was quite similar to my normal method of searing in the cast iron skillet and finishing in the oven.

Next up: pork belly and salmon. Anyone have a good pork belly recipe besides this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Holy crap short ribs at 140F for 48 hours are absolutely amazing. I only salt + peppered them before putting them in. After 48 hours I took them out, cut them from the bone and seared in a cast iron skillet, and used the juices to make a sauce.

They came out unbelievably tender, and not dry at all like you might get with a traditional braise. This is definitely my favorite sous vide application so far.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Sub Rosa posted:

Why are you guys doing short ribs at 140+? 72 hours at 130F is like my religion, why go higher?
140F for 48 hours produces a texture I'm pretty happy with, plus one day less wait. :) I might try varying temps/times though just to see what my favorite result is.

Seriously though, short ribs are a mandatory SV experience. With a reasonably fatty cut the result is quite reminiscent of Kobe beef in terms of tenderness and fattiness.