Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I got a big ol' hunk of boneless short ribs from Costco and I was thinking about either 158F for 24 hours or 144F for 72 hours. Modernist Cuisine warns of death and/or gynecomastia if I use a Ziploc bag for longer cook times. Is this a legit concern or will I be fine with the same freezer bags I've used when cooking for 8-12 hours in the past? Worst case, I guess I could just make corned beef again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Did anybody do the Chefsteps turkey? I am a little afraid of cooking a turkey breast at 131, especially if I have to serve it to people who are unfamiliar with the joys of low-temperature cooking.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

hogmartin posted:

It's perfectly edible, it'll just look gray and sad and won't have the taste and feel you get from the crust. It's not something I'd serve someone, but yeah, if you're feeling lazy, it'll be fine. When I first got the Anova, I did a two week experiment with five boneless skinless chicken breasts and five boneless pork chops, doing a SV on Sunday, then an ice bath, then bringing the individual bags to work each day for lunch. They weren't as good as they would have been with a finishing sear, and towards the end of the week something about osmosis and vacuum made the pre-seasoned pork taste really salty, but it wasn't bad. In the end, doing the SV and sear and using plastic containers to store them instead of fancy astronaut bags turned out to be the better option.

If you're curious about it, just try it and see what you think.

Last weekend I was inspired by the ChefSteps fancy duck breast and cooked a duck breast separate from the skin. The breast on its own definitely looks unimpressive but tastes pretty good because duck's more about crispy skin than the Maillard reaction on the flesh itself. I ended up serving it with Amarena cherries and Saint Agur and was very happy combination of flavors. You can use the liquid from the cherries to make things more colorful so long as you don't overdo it.

On the other hand, I would not recommend trying the duck skin crumble unless you actually have liquid nitrogen. Chopping it up with a knife does not deliver the right texture unless you put a lot more effort into chopping sticky duck skin into tiny pieces than I did (upside: a pile of chopped duck skin looks comically disgusting). Has anybody had luck cooking the whole duck skin apart from the breast or is it easier just to do the old school scoring+low heat method?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I am a pretentious motherfucker so Mother's Day brunch was sous vide egg bites with sauteed ramps alongside asparagus and prosciutto. The Anova behaved itself when I put the jars in but had a very hard time maintaining temperature after that. It would fluctuate between about 183 and 186, beeping every time it climbed past 184.7. This didn't seem to affect the cooking but was definitely a little disconcerting given that it usually has no trouble holding the exact temperature (also, the beeping sound is annoying when you hear it every few minutes). Is this a common experience when cooking with mason jars or should I be worried? My local market sent me a coupon for a free dry-aged top sirloin, so I need it to hold out at least a little while longer.

(The ChefSteps egg bites recipe worked pretty well. For the dairy I used 100% cottage cheese based on the Facebook video and it worked very well. Nobody else in my family has actually eaten the OG egg bites so I've probably ruined their expectations for when they finally do.)

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

toplitzin posted:

How long would I have to pee on a scallop for it to cook?

Kenji says that ceviche is best after being marinated for 10 minutes. The real challenge is getting your pee down to 2.5 pH.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My experience with breaking down whole ducks is that throwing the carcass and the scraps into a pot over low heat is good for at least a cup of fat. That should be sufficient for two legs' worth of sous vide confit (since you don't need to fill a pot with it). It probably wouldn't be enough for traditional confit. I just end up roasting a lot of potatoes.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I want to do duck confit for Christmas morning. Serious Eats says that 155 degrees for 36 hours is the way to go. ChefSteps claims that the magic equation is 158 degrees for 16 hours. That's a pretty big time difference. Am I going to regret taking the easy way out and going with 158/16 or would the extra 20 hours be better spent driving all over town because all the grocery stores are sold out of duck legs?

(Modernist Cuisine says to brine for 12 hours and then cook at 149 for a day. That's not happening unless someone can offer a really convincing argument that it's actually superior to not brining.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Costco was selling tomahawk ribeyes for the same price as a regular ribeye so I succumbed to novelty and bought a package. Has anybody had success cooking one of these before? I was thinking 133ish for two hours based on thickness and fat content, but then I saw a bunch of Reddit posts claiming that it would take 4-5 hours. Knowing that it might be hard to fit one into a regular skillet, I do have a giant cast iron griddle I can use to sear it.

(I'm also open to "it works a lot better in the oven" but was hoping to be able to bake some potatoes at the same time.)