Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
My Dorkfood came in earlier this week, and I ended up attempting steak--a NY strip, at 130 degrees for a hour. It came out good, but I had trouble putting a good sear on it with only a minute on each side in my cast iron skillet. I ended up giving it a little more time to develop a crust, and that ended up bringing more gray into the steaks than I really care for. Does anyone have any tips for developing a crust, fast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm getting quite annoyed at the inability of my dorkfood and crock pot to keep water hot enough for poaching eggs or custarding yolks. If I were to pick up an immersion circulator, how fancy would I need to get to maintain multiday cook temperatures? A friend of mine swears by a $5 plastic bucket but I'd imagine that you lose too much heat out of the top. What do you guys use?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Modernist Cusine at Home has a burger preparation which goes straight from the puddle machine to the deep fryer. I've never done it since I don't own a dedicated deep fryer and I've heard too many wok-frying horror stories, but I have eaten the final result at a friend's place. It's loving delicious.