Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

a foolish pianist posted:

This is easily the best two-dollar steak I've ever had, and it was really fun to make. Using a larger steak would only make it better, as would being a bit more careful with the blowtorch while searing. All in all, though, tonight's sous vide experiment is a serious success. A ~six-ounce tri tip made for a delicious meal.

Torch searing doesn't work as well as throwing the steak in a cast iron pan.

Use the torch to quickly dry the surface of the steak and then sear it in a hot pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I don't add oil or butter to the vacuum pouch for steak.

A vacuum sealed pouch lets you pasteurize food and then hold it cooked in the bag so you can reheat quickly and sear.

For home cooks I buy meat and such in bulk and vacuum seal to preserve individual portions. Then I plop those in the water bath.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Do a midrare short rib.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Blow torch is great to dry off the surface in a hurry before throwing the steak in a pan. Overkill if you don't already own one though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You won't meaningfully render fat out of meat by searing it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The bone can be nice for presentation.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Volatile aromatics will go through the bag, it's fine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I own a MAPP Pro torch, use it to dry off the surface of the steak and then throw it in a ripping hot cast iron pan for best results.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They discontinued MAPP, not MAPP/Pro as far as I know.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Right but MAPP/Pro has always been propylene.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Why did you cook a steak for 8h at 140F? What cut was it?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

So, I stumbled across a book that claims to give instructions for infusing alcohol through sous vide. Does that even work? I guess a steady, warm-but-not-hot temperature might speed it up, but the book is claiming that it "shortens the infusion time from weeks and months to minutes and hours." Is this snake oil, or actually plausible?

Just use a nitrous whipper.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Liquor doesn't age in glass bottles, generally only in wooden casks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I dunno, I love my puddle machine but a roast chicken is something that comes out pretty well in the oven.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

Nope. I don't have an ice maker, so I stuck them in the freezer for ~30 minutes before moving them to the fridge. I'm reasonably comfortable that they were in the danger zone for a sufficiently small amount of time, as it wasn't a lot of food.

This is probably fine, but putting stuff in the freezer is way slower than tossing the bag in ice water because in the freezer the meat isn't surrounded by cold liquid which cools faster than air.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sounds like lovely meat.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm in. I'd give Dave Arnold $65 if he just asked nicely.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's what your pal Chemmy does. I detailed that method in the medium rare steak thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548777&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post418243456

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 5, 2013

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah, the thought was it would force volatile compounds made from burning propane fully mix with air and burn off.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I work with steel and I agree with your friend it's fine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's not on their Kickstarter page. What's going on?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Assuming you keep the steaks cool there should be no problem.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I don't think air bubbles expand very much from room temperature to 180F.

Should be around 20%, if they doubled then your bag is leaking or something in there is making more gas.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ok, bags inflating can be a sign that bacteria is working in there which is a bad thing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I wanted shrimp scampi, so:

Shrimp, a little red pepper, and a stick of butter in a bag:

Into the water bath! (Don't buy a Sous Vide Supreme) 58C for 40 minutes:

Delicious butter poached shrimp! (I would have left the shells on but I asked my wife to get them out and she de-shelled them for me in advance.)

I mandolined and then finely chopped a couple shallots, sweated in a little more butter, deglazed with white wine and then poured in the bag contents and the juice of half a lemon:

Nice wide noodles:

Plated:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Well you already own it so I doubt you'd buy another one. Aside from the obvious that you admitted there are better cheaper options notice the corroded heat spreader plate. The plate is aluminum and literally eats itself.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It happens instantly. I had the first one replaced under warranty when I lived in CT.

I used the new one after moving to CA and it does the same thing. It's the Demi, not the full size and I think it electrolytically corrodes.

I'm counting down the days until my Sansaire arrives.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah it's a known issue. They replaced it once for me and then never replied to anything I sent them.

It's an obvious design flaw.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

In terms of the corrosion it's eating the bath away. It's only a matter of time until it springs a leak, so I'd say the function is compromised.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The coating on the inside of the bath is also eaten away by the corrosion. The inside of the bath, as well as the heat spreader plate, is corroded.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'll take some. My first SVS Demi did the same thing and they replaced it. The walls corrode much less than the heat spreader plate.

I'm a mechanical engineer with a background in materials science.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The full sized SVSs have always been stainless steel. I'd bet they're well aware of the issue.

edit: I'm not mad or anything, I bought it on sale for $199 and have used it for like five years (ignoring that it got replaced after a year). I just wouldn't buy a Sous Vide Supreme Demi, there are better options available that are cheaper. When I bought it Polyscience's cheapest circulator was like $600.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sansaires are shipping in the US.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Flanken is the traditional cut for Korean food, maybe start there?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steak is pretty nice at 50C. I wouldn't cook steak at that temp for longer than an hour and I certainly wouldn't hold it for long after.

It's probably also a good idea to sear the outside with a torch before doing that.

Basically if you want advice here: no that steak isn't safe. If you want to cook steaks at that temp you need to do more research into food safety. None of us want to be responsible for you getting sick.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Or make aligot.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sansaire's temperature seems spot on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I personally trust the science of someone writing a blog about eating like a caveman.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I dunno, it's hard to be upset about plastics killing me when it comes from someone who thinks wheat is killing them.

I don't doubt plastics leech, it's probably not a good idea to eat 72hr short ribs three meals a day.

The average sous vide cook time is what, an hour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Do you guys not fill your bath with hot tap water?

My hot tap is like 46C (115F).