Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Glottis posted:

Supposedly cast iron has more thermal capacity but actually heats less evenly. For searing the poo poo out of your sous vided meats, thermal capacity is more important.

You can have both if you throw it in the oven first. I leave my cast iron in a 450F oven for a half hour or so once it reaches temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like my foodsaver a lot.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Looks like it turned out rare.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Eat some leafy greens. Go for a run.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I buy meat in bulk, vacuum seal it in foodsaver bags, then defrost them in the fridge and sous vide the meat. I just bought a couple knockoff rolls, two rolls of 11" x 50' for $16 and I'll see how they work.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sear after.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I leave my cast iron pan in a 450F oven for 30ish minutes before throwing it on a high burner.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The reason to get it is the unlimited warranty. Foodsavers all eventually die. Save the box and receipt.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steak with just a torch sucks. (I’ve never bothered using my Searzall.)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Related, I’ve been thinking about freezing pasta sauce in vacuum sealed packs and then reheating them in the pasta water as it boils. How likely am I to end up with a mess? Assume I clip it to the side so it doesn’t melt on the hot bottom of the pot.

I freeze my tomato sauce and bolognese in thick freezer ziplocs and haven't had any trouble yet. I keep them in the freezer for 3-4 months.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, I mean with the reheating plan. Basically holding foodsavered bags at boiling for ten minutes or so.

Oh. I freeze my sauce flat in bags, pull them out of the freezer and crack the sauce into fourths, then dump those in a little sauce pot and put it on low next to the pasta water as it heats up.

Works fine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I pay around $18/lb for good ribeye in California.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I puddle, sear and then throw a pat of butter on top of the steak and hit it with Montreal seasoning.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's a decent chance you contracted 20 Years After Eating Yellowtail Three Minutes After It Died Disease.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ola posted:

The probes are mostly for going beep when a preset temp is reached. Sous vide like cooking is is very difficult to do with air. A hunk of meat holds a lot more thermal mass than the air in the oven. To get it to heat up, you need the air to be quite a bit hotter than the target temp, or else it will take ages and the meat might dry out. Think about sitting in a sauna vs jumping in a pool with the same temp as sauna air. Steam ovens might be better for this, I've never tried one.

Cvap / Steam injection ovens are the way it really works, as you noted at the end. Steam makes the air heavier, also obviously stops the meat from drying out.

I’d love to put one in but they’re hilariously priced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Looks like they make a tiny one (the XS) and the only install requirement is that you need a big boy electrical connection and a vent hood.