Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Today I made the upgrade from the Sous Vide Supreme Demi to an Anova, and having owned both, the Anova is a way better machine. The SVS Demi was fine for small meals but anything larger like say wanting to cook two legs of lamb for a thanksgiving party, basically fills that thing to capacity. An Anova + a simple 12 x 18 cambro container will greatly increase your cooking capacity and do an all around better job at maintaining a proper temperature bath around your bags.

So yes, if you just recently purchased a Sous Vide Supreme or a Sous Vide Supreme Demi, get it returned and refunded immediately and buy an Anova.

On a side note, I was very tempted to pull an Xibit and attach the anova to the Sous Vide Supreme Demi to use the SVSD as a insulated container rather than just use a plastic cambro container. However, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

G-III fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Base Emitter posted:

Raw newbie question... might be dumb but how fast can sous vide cook a steak? Can I start when I get home from work and not have to wait until midnight to eat? Usually when I see articles on it, they talk about being able to leave something cooking for hours, but that's not really what I'm after, although all the other advantages in the OP sound great.

It depends on the thickness of the steak. Your average 2 inch or less steak can take roughly 2 hours to cook. My typical routine is to drop something in the puddle at target temp by 6:00, yank it out by 8:00 pm to finish it off and have dinner.

A good sized chicken breast should only take roughly an hour at 146 F

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm trying to find the right cooking temp and time for rabbit. I've seen variations from 125 degress (hell no) to 140 degrees. Is there any official word of trusted word on for temp and time for rabbit meat?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I planned on cooking multiple bits of rabbit all at once in the same bag, so probably best to shoot in the middle of those temps for about 2 hours and call it done.

Thanks for the tip!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Sacred Cow posted:

Thats pretty tempting. I was just looking at a Souse Vide Supreme Demi referb for $150. Does anyone have an opinion on the SVS Demi? I've borrowed my sisters Avona before but having something the size of a rice cooker I keep on the counter is pretty appealing.
I had a SVS demi until I got the Anova. An immersion circulator style sous vide machine like the Anova is an improvement over the "water oven" style machine like the SVSd. The SVSd does not circulate the water.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Finally got a searzall and am looking to try it out on something. Are there any types of meat / other food this thing is really good for? Based on my reading of this thread and other sites it appears that the searzall is kind of a wash for searing steaks when compared to using a skillet but seems great for irregular cuts or rounder shapes like chicken breasts. Any other recommendations from the crowd?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I did bbq baby back ribs yesterday at 165f for 12 hours and it turned out absolutely amazing.

Process:

1. Rinse ribs and remove the membrane
2. Brush on a coat of molasses mixed with a little liquid aminos
3. Rub with salt, pepper, mustard powder, ground ancho chili pepper, cumin, coriander, thyme, rosemary, cayenne pepper, and brown sugar
4. Did a pre-sear just a bit with a searzall
5. Put in the bag with two table spoons of butter and two teaspoons of liquid smoke
6. Cook for 12 hours at 165f
7. Put on a cooling rack, dry with paper towels, brush on preferred bbq sauce, and carmelize bbq sauce with a few passes of the searzall

Best ribs I've ever had. The meat while coming off in layered flakes was still juicy and delicious.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Unfortunately for my Anova blue tooth immersion circulator the plastic clamp piece has broken with a nice split running down the center of the ring. Has anyone had any experience getting replacement parts from Anova? I can't see anywhere where you can just get a replacement for the clamp attachment. The actual circulator itself is undamaged and working just fine, I just need to replace the clamp.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Since I have two immersion circulators already I don't necessarily need one that can only be operated with a phone. However if it turns out to be better than the current lot in terms of getting water to temp faster then it's worthy to look into.

G-III fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 25, 2015

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

DARPA Dad posted:

The drumsticks turned out amazing flavor and texture wise. But they were pretty dang red in the center where the meat met the bone. Am I gonna die? I viddled them at 165F for 1 1/2 hours then chilled in ice bath and transferred to fridge overnight. viddled them again at 145F for 45 mins then seared in cast iron to crisp up the skin. Also I only ate three of the five drumsticks and I put the remaining two in the fridge without chilling in an ice bath. I should not eat those, right?

You won't die but any dark meat on bone should be done for much longer. At least 3-4 hours depending on the size, better at 6-8 hours for texture and flavor.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Just did baby back ribs yesterday at 165f for 12 hours. Absolute magic.

Sometimes its hard for me to enjoy food this good because I fee like this method is almost like cheating. All I had to do was spice things up accordingly, bag it, throw it in a hot puddle, and wait.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

qutius posted:

How did you finish them?

I rub an extra layer of dry rub that I reserved (mostly just a mixture of crushed peppercorn, salt, brown sugar, and lots of paprika) the brush on a nice layer of chosen BBQ sauce.

Rather than user a searzall I just put the rack on a baking sheet and threw it in the oven on broil to caremlize the BBQ sauce and crust up just a smidge.

I didn't want too harsh of a bark on the ribs since my wife just had two of her wisdom teeth pulled earlier last week and was looking for something very soft to chew. Sous vide baby back ribs when done at 165f for 12 hours ends up with this super tender texture you can eat off the bone with just a fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Nabokoffin posted:

Yeah a carbon steel pan will sear just as well. Depending on the reasons you hate cast iron though. Tri Ply stainless will do a fine job but I hate cleaning them. I love my cast iron because it is so easy to clean. The key though is to do it while the pan is still hot to warm.

You can clean just about anything off of a stainless pan by simply dropping water into it and get it to a boil. Just about anything stuck to the surface will come right off.