Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The dutch oven will be destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The heart capacity of iron is far below that of water. Nope.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You'd be better off with a similar mass of lexan than iron if it was only mass heat capacities that mattered. It's more useful to have the container less thermally conductive and have lower emissivity. Plastics are the way to go. Get your heat stability from fancy electronics and more water.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Visualize sous vide gibblets.

This may actually work for making gravy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Scallops are sear-flip-sear-done.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm starting an Arduino-based sous vide system. If I'm not back in two weeks, tell my family that between a bunch of water, metal, and electrical equipment I shocked myself and died.

But in all seriousness, Arduino has an extensive PID control library. I'm excited to see what an old camping Coleman cooler with two thermistors and a PID-controlled relay running a large immersion boiler can do.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thermal conductivity is only weakly dependent on pressure. Very.

Below boiling temp, you are seeing no effects on temp of the water. 140F water is 140F irrespective of altitude.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What did you sear with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lavaca posted:

Costco was selling tomahawk ribeyes for the same price as a regular ribeye so I succumbed to novelty and bought a package. Has anybody had success cooking one of these before? I was thinking 133ish for two hours based on thickness and fat content, but then I saw a bunch of Reddit posts claiming that it would take 4-5 hours. Knowing that it might be hard to fit one into a regular skillet, I do have a giant cast iron griddle I can use to sear it.

(I'm also open to "it works a lot better in the oven" but was hoping to be able to bake some potatoes at the same time.)

I am cooking one of those motherfuckers right now, and in another cambro pan I have lamb leg going. Big party tonight.

I have a question about the gelatin conversion thing. I'm looking up that the process starts around 170 F and really gets going around 180 F. that's far, I have been cooking meat at the medium rare temperature -- 134 for lamb, for example -- just so that the meat is still as rare as we all prefer when done.

Should you ever sous vide meat at 170, though? Super well done, but highly gelatinized? Or is this a maxwellian thermal distribution thing where cooking at 134 still allows for some collagen to turn to gelatin at the statistical upper edge of the bell curve?