Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That's exactly right. It should work fine as long as you don't end up cooking the burger for hours on end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's realllly easy deep frying in a cast iron dutch oven.

I think I'll try this out next time I make s-v burgers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd say it still significantly hotter than propane--I've been using a MAPP torch to light my lump charcoal for years and propane just won't get the job done.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Remember you now have the ability to cook both of them to whatever temp you want. No need to compromise!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

uPen posted:

I think I'm going to lightly freeze my meat before puddling it going forward. Didn't notice some blood getting sucked through the seal when vaccing my brisket and now it's ruined. :negative:

Double seal them if you have a manual model.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Most of their deals aren't particularly great. I'd skip any of the "specialty bags" and just buy two different roll sizes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think it would be easier to chill the shortribs in an ice bath and store in the fridge, then resume (and restart the clock) when you return.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've tried babybacks without smoking and it tasted OK but nowhere near as good as just smoked. Combining both techniques seems like it could be pretty good.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 15, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Got a tri tip to cook, how many hours and what temp? i'm seeing some recipes say 2-3 hours and some up to 24.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thanks for the info, I'll shoot for 4 hours tonight and serve later this week.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
3lbs ish? it wasn't particularly thick, i think it will be ok.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
4hr tri-tip at 134* made some awesome French dip.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jose posted:

How useful are vacuum sealers or can I get away with the ziploc + water technique and what is the recommended cook book for doing sous vide stuff?

You can find em really cheap on craigslist! i recommend getting one just for storing food in the freezer, it really makes a difference if you want to store food.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone else have a wobble in their bernzatic right here? Wondering if it's normal or mine has a defect.

What do you mean a wobble at that location?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Making dulche de leche right now at home, can't wait to try it tonight

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

Making dulche de leche right now at home, can't wait to try it tonight

trip report: this stuff owns, and was the single easiest thing i've ever made in the sous vide.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just add them one at a time and let it recover before putting the next one in.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

No Wave posted:

Catboy's right in that even the good bags leak. The water gets gross pretty fast for the multi-day cooks.

Do beef cheeks instead!!!!

I've never had a bag leak but it's pretty normal for the smell of the beef to permeate through the bag into the water and my kitchen.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

My family is very impressed with my fancy puddle machine so I've been tasked to handle the meat for Thanksgiving this year. Thing is, no one wants turkey. So, any suggestions for meat, time and temps for something that could stand in for a thanksgiving turkey? I'm thinking rib roast, tenderloin, pork shoulder, or something along those lines.

pork belly porchetta:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/the-food-lab-deep-fried-sous-vide-36-hour-all-belly-porchetta.html

turkey breast porchetta:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/sous-vide-deep-fried-turkey-porchetta-recipe.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any tips on sous vide garlic confit? I have a ton of extra garlic from the holiday (don't ask) and I kind of want to do a bunch of small bags confit to save/freeze for use later. However, I know the whole garlic + anaerobic environment thing can be bad.

Is it really as easy as garlic and oil cooked for 7 hours at 190F, or do I need to add some acid or do something else?

Do you have a pressure cooker and mason jars? it's even easier to do it that way.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
uhhh or just put a fork on top of the bag

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Electric Sugar posted:

What about vizzling up a whole bunch of chicken breasts and using them to make chicken salad? Best chicken salad ever.

Speaking of best ever, I made sous vide broccoli for the first time. It was so perfect it drat near brought a tear to my eye.

What temp for the broccoli? That and sous vide chicken salad sound really good

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
FWIW I never use ziplocs, only foodsavers and have yet to have a leak. lots of people get by fine with ziplocs though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SubG posted:

Is internal storage really a thing? My dinky little Rival sealer is smaller than one 50' roll, much less the one I'm using and the spare I always have on hand because gently caress getting half way through bagging a bunch of poo poo to discover you've just run out.

The thing that's going to break on a vac sealer is the pump (well, and maybe the gaskets, but that poo poo's easy to fix) and it's going to break eventually. I wouldn't roll the dice on a used one because I don't think the price could be low enough to justify the unknown but unavoidably decreased service life.

But that's just me. I also can't really see the argument for anything but the cheapest `it works' vac sealer until you start talking about chamber vacs. At least not if you're buying one just to use with a puddle machine.

i'd still recommend checking craigslist for cheap, used vac sealers (i realize this was a response to an australian). There's a ton available every time i've looked and you could buy 3 or 4 used ones for the price of one new one. i think its pretty common for people buy them and never use them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sometimes they already have a hairline crack in them that you won't notice when you drop them in. Use a large spoon to put them in/out of the water, or put them in a ziploc bag full of water to contain them in case of leak.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So I tried making Mango's technique for BSCBs cooked in red tamale sauce, but I'm not sure where I went wrong but I used this recipe for the sauce:

http://www.food.com/recipe/red-chili-sauce-to-be-used-with-traditional-tamales-15301

And cooked with a few cheap (Costco pre-brined) frozen BSCBs for 100 min at 140 and I dunno it was very juicy but the texture was a bit weird and the chicken just didn't have enough flavor when I shredded them and made tacos.

Maybe I should try it with thighs? I was looking for some ideas to make chicken breasts better.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 26, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Tried it again, this time I thawed them and cooked for 4.5 hours, much much better. I still think the texture is better for burritos or enchiladas than tacos.

Maybe I'll try it with thighs next time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kensei posted:

I was reading somewhere that chicken gets rubbery if you leave it in for longer than 4 hours. C/D? I wanted to cook some to make shredded meat for tacos, and I was hoping to leave it in all day while I am at work.

I used ultimate mango's recipe from this thread and it works really well

Chemmy posted:

Why don't you just braise chicken for tacos? This doesn't seem like a particularly good use for an immersion circulator.

well you can chill and freeze the bag when you're done so don't forget that aspect. as always, no moisture loss either.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I didn't think any of these other terms existed outside of this thread

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've never had duck confit but here I am, with a pair of legs and thighs, ready to make this happen.

Suggestions for sides to go with it? I'm not really up on french cooking in the slightest.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Whoops, I should have been more specific: I was planning on making confit sous vide

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I picked up 3 of them a few years ago (2 for gifts) when they were on a blowout sale @ 24 bucks each. I'm pretty sure my BiL/SiL don't use theirs much, nor do my parents but i've used mine hundreds of times and never had any issues.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Indolent Bastard posted:

$24? Where was that from?

Direct from foodsaver in 2010

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Double seal at each end of the bag, never fails.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How good do they taste? I wonder if it would be easier to put them into mason jars instead of bags.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
made this last night, best ham i've ever had in my life

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/sous-vide-city-ham-with-balsamic-brown-sugar-glaze-recipe.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
some temp guidelines here, even if it's for crispy skin chicken thighs

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-thigh.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jan posted:

I did this chicken thigh recipe last night and it was goddamn delicious. I bagged the thighs with a slice of lemon, some rosemary sprigs, cooked at 155F for 2 hours, then dunked it in ice water as recommended.

But the skin turned extremely soggy and fragile -- some of it broke off just from removing the rosemary that got embedded into it. Naturally, when I fried it, the skin ended up completely sticking to the pan. It made for good deglazing fodder, mind you, but I'd rather have the skin whole.

I'm thinking the main offender here is the lemon slice, and that its acidity must've somehow weakened the skin beyond normal moisture? But then the chicken salad recipe also uses lemon slices and yet that skin looks pristine when he's peeling it off.

I made this very recipe two nights ago and the same thing happened to me--pretty disappointing even though the sauce was tasty and the chicken was extremely flavorful.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Doubt it.

Why 5.5 hours? Pretty sure pork tenderloin is great with @ 1-2hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
One trick with cutting the roll with scissors is to put the loose end into the sealer, double seal it and before you release that end of the roll from the sealer, unroll as much as you need and cut the roll.

Or it's also easy to use a cutting board and knife to do it.