Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So, uh, completely on a whim today I took some of the brisket I was going to smoke into pastrami, put it in a ziploc bag, submerged the air out of it, set up my slow cooker with water and made a 170 degree water bath. Sometime tomorrow afternoon baring massive temp fluctuations, I will have entirely jerry rigged ghetto sous vide corned beef.

Wish me luck?

If I don't die maybe I'll take a picture or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I know piling on new technology as terrible is a thing people like to do on the internet for some reason but pardon my ignorance here, with people SVing their stuff for 24-72 hours on occasion wouldn't some kind of wifi accessible status control be useful? That way if there's some kinda critical failure while you're at work or something at least you could know and somehow perhaps salvage it?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I want some shrimp

But I have to take my kids to gymnastics tonight.

Better idea, sous vide shrimp before I go, reheat it when I get back or put it in the puddle right as I leave with a timer on

Not sure how it would work with something delicate like shrimp I don't want to over cook it

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean I know it takes 20 minutes but we're gunna be home late (usually my wife makes dinner on gymnastics night but she's out of town) so 20 minutes pushes dinner time almost to bed time

Maybe we'll just do something else tonight....

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I have an Anova love it blah blah blah thinking about getting a unit for a friend of ours for Christmas. Anyone got any good deals floating around? Doesn't have to be the same brand I have or anything. I know there were a bunch of 100 dollar deals but I think I missed them all.