Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Alright. This thread convinced me to try out the Anova. I was seriously interested when the price of entry was in the 300+ range; now that its only $200 I jumped on board.

Any suggested first run through steak recipes? Something easy and with relatively quick gratification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

MrEnigma posted:

Replacement Anova shows up today, they let me switch to red (what I originally ordered but switched to black). Now that I have red, I kind of like the black better. The white has a white top/clamp which is a bit odd.

Regardless it will work the same! Now for a 24 chuck roast.

Edit: And here it is mounted on my full size camwear 8" deep, with seal cover lid (customized).

Thanks for this; I'm copying this setup almost exactly. I also ordered one of the 1/2 size camwear 8" buckets based on your comments. I am hoping this will end up being everything I need to have some awesome steaks and pork loins. Hopefully the anova shows up expediently.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Has anyone done top round (specifically londoin broil style cut) SV? My local grocery has it on sale and its cheap as hell. That said, googling seems to have mixed results on this one.

Any first hand experience? Probably do anyways just to try.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So for thanksgiving I wanted to make a whole shitload of miniature creme brulees and came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHuXaJhRNY

Perfection! At least I thought; a way to make a ton of creme brulee with relative ease.

Picked up these:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3-1-4-4-oz-foil-utility-cup-100-pack/99942330.html

And man, the first run through the recipe sucked. Holy poo poo. Grainy as hell, a bit chunky, just eesh- no good texture-wise. (Flavor was good).

So I ended up trying sieving the mixture after cooking. No dice; too thick for any sieve I've got.

Ended up using an immersion blender on the custard as soon as its out of the water bath, and right before the foil tins. THAT worked perfectly; silky smooth texture I wanted/needed.

Just figured I'd share in case anyone wants to give it a go at some point.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Man. Every time I sous vide it comes out being the best meat I've cooked.

The ONE issue I have is compared to conventional cooking the sous vide meat seems to cool while serving / on the plate far faster. I mean its obviously just a product of not heating to as high of a temperature, but its still kinda annoying.

That said, made pork tenderloin at 140F for 3hrs then torched it three times with a bourbon glaze and it was the best pork tenderloin I've ever had. drat.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone had luck with flank steak? I've googled and holy poo poo recommendations are all the gently caress over the place

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

sterster posted:

The biggest thing I have found with flank steak to make things better is simply letting it marinade for 24hr and let it break down the toughness. If that's what you are referring to. Then grilling on high for heat for 6-7 min per side to get a nice char on either side while med-med rare on the inside. Let rest for 3-5 min then slice against the grain like you do brisket.

Cool; so something like

Marinade for 24hrs
SV for ~2hrs at desired temp
Sear aggressively
Cut against grain

And I should be in good shape?

Thanks!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I just found out there's an awesome butcher an hour away from me (stupid suburbs; one of the things I miss about the city).

I just placed an order for about $100 of various steaks :getin:

My wife is going to tire of steaks by the time New Years rolls around.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Did my flank today

Marinated for 24hrs
132° for 3hr
Seared with torch and cast iron together
Bias cut against grain

Topped with homemade chimchurri

Came out fantastic

Highly endorsed and would do again without a second thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone have reccomendations for cuts of meat that do particularly well with ~8-10hr cooking times? I'd love to have a few cuts in my back pocket to toss into the bath before work and have a nice steak ready to roll when I get home from work.

Obviously I can find stuff and tweak to get close; but if there's something that's perfect in that window that'd be ideal.