Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I'm very new to sous vide (only done one steak so far). Picked up a 5 lb beef tenderloin for the family tomorrow. Plan is to pre-sear it, seal it with some juices, sous vide, then finish it up on hot grill or cast iron. Would love advice on time/temp--most recipes I've found are for much smaller cuts. I'd like it to finish on the medium side of medium-rare. Would ~4 hrs at 140 be about right? Also, any issue with cutting it in half to make it fit in my cast iron and make it more manageable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
We're cooking a dozen filet mignons for my wife's parent's 30th anniversary dinner Saturday night. Since I'm the "sous-vide" guy in the family this task fell on me, which is fine, but the problem is that my schedule won't allow me to sous-vide them on the day we are serving, so I'll need to do that step a couple days in advance. Then re-heat and sear them just prior to serving.

My plan is 3 hrs @125F sous-vide, on Thursday evening, followed by an immediate ice-water immersion for 15 minutes to chill, then store in the fridge until it's time to finish them off 48 hours later. Then I'll warm them back up in 125F water for maybe 15 minutes, then pull them out of the bag and sear on a big hot griddle just prior to serving.

I'm worried about the 2 day storage in the fridge - should i be? Would it be better to freeze them after immersion cooking? With the storage step do I need to change my time/temp? I've seen that in theory the steaks can be stored for up to 5 days prior to reheating but I can't imagine that wouldn't adversely affect the quality.