Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Today only, direct from sansaire, $159.
Sale ends December 2nd, 2014, 6:00AM PST (UTC-8h)

https://sansaire.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just got my Sansaire and picked up a flank steak on sale.

Bag soak eat says:
4 hours at 131.

Modernist cooking made easy says:
Flank Steak
Medium Rare 131°F for 1 to 2 Days (55.0°C)
Medium 140°F for 1 to 2 Days (60.0°C)

The Rogue Gourmet calls for:
16-18 @ 135.

Which one of these is most right?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jay Carney posted:

Any suggestions for beef and lamb? Was planning on making the sous vide porchetta next week so don't wanna be porked out.

I'm going with a flank steak this weekend, but haven't figured out a rub yet.
I have some leftover Lebanese style stuff I might use.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

lousy hat posted:

Flank steak can definitely benefit a bit from a longer cook, but I haven't gone over 24 hours at 131°F. 4 hours should definitely get you pasteurized through, even at 131 F. Anything over that is just tenderness time. I guess it really just comes down to how rare and tender you like your flank steak. I personally notice that at 24 hours the steak wants to stay together less as I'm flipping it to get a sear on. Two days sounds like longer than I'd like.

This is interesting. I asked my sister's BF for his opinion (he's worked under a few named chefs, so its not like he's some fresh out of LCB schlub) and he suggested the following:

Circulate at 125 f depending on size for about 1 hour to 2 hours I would put some thyme bay leaf salt pepper and olive oil in with the meat. Then once done you get a really hot pan and sear off both sides till nice and brown. Maldon salt on top.

Thoughts/discussion?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tonight is guys night, so that means, steak, bourbon, brussel sprouts, mashed potato, and caesar salad.

I'm going to be picking up a couple of nice steaks (torn on strip/tbone vs ribeye) and debating using the umamai booster from Modernist.

Ingredients:

3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. MSG (freaked out? Don’t be)
3 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. roasted garlic, minced
1 tbsp. blue cheese
½ tsp. anchovy paste
Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
To season, divide the marinade among the bags, add the steak, and vacuum seal using your preferred method. This can be done just before cooking.

I figure that, then two-ish hours at 129.6 for a nice medium rare while i make the potatoes ahead of time for re-heating.

Has anyone tried the above booster? Does it interfere with any finishing flavors like a compound/regular butter? Can you make a killer pan sauce out of it after the puddle?
Has anyone compared sear then puddle vs puddle then sear? Is it worth doing backwards?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

Yep, a couple of weeks back I did two bone in rib eyes, one marinated in the umami booster for 24 hours, the other done traditionally with a presear. People liked the umami steak better, although both were delicious. It is definitely a noticeable flavor, but not overpowering. If I were going to use it with an add'l accoutrement I'd probably stick with something complimentary like blue cheese, sautéed mushrooms etc.

We also found that a presear is not really worth it, as there wasn't any noticeable difference from others I've done in the past.

Important distinction: Light or Dark Soy? Since i have both.

Edit: Urrrrgh. How da fuq do you foodsaver/seal an item with a liquid.i've but the steaks in the marinade in the fridge to do its thing, but I had to use a ziploc and the dunk method. At this point I'll probably just puddle them together in the gallon bag since they are side by side and not stacked. Or IIshould I really pull them, dump the marinade and proper vac?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 2, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

The main concern I'd have with that one is that there's no moist/dry setting or low-speed vacuum (as far as I can see), which sounds like it may be a problem with certain recipes. Plus there's no roll storage, which could be a turn-off if you like to minimize clutter in your kitchen.

Not having this setting is a bitch, otherwise you have to make your marinade, then freeze it in a thin sheet that you can slide in before bagging it so you can get a good seal/vacuum/no air space.
If not and you're using a "wet" ingredient (marinade or custards and so on), you just have to settle with either A) a non full vacuum/manual seal or B)If its REALLY wet, the dunk and seal ziplock method.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

i just pulled some 48@145 pork ribs out of the bath. Due to changed plans i wont be serving them 'til Saturday.

Should i just bath them for another 24 and fridge for 48, or will 72 in the fridge be ok?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

Those babies are pasteurized. You can pull them, throw them in an ice bath until cool, and then store them in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.

Sweet!

Bit of a cross post from the quick question thread. The weather should be warm enough to smoke these babies on Saturday, but I'm at a bit of a loss as far as what i should use as a "BBQ Sauce" with the spice profile of the rub.

• 1 tablespoon finely ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon ground allspice
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground Ginger

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ola posted:

When there's enough of it and it tastes good. My bag juice sauce:

When the meat is done, take it out, cut a small hole and pour the bag juices into a small saucepan. Then put the bag back in the water, making sure the hole is resealed or otherwise out of the water. Vacuum isn't important, it's just for keeping it warm for a little while.

In a small saucepan, bring the juices to a rolling boil with chopped onion and port - and/or any other sauce flavorant you desire. Sometimes there will be an unappetizing froth forming in the juice, particularly if you've had the bone in, the boil will cause this froth to solidify. Let it reduce for a little while, then strain the onions and froth out, set aside.

When searing the meat, don't use crazy amounts of oil or stuff you don't want in a sauce. Because after searing, you deglaze the pan with the sauce. (I prefer margarine for searing for this reason) The sauce thickens very quickly from the high heat and the sugar in the port. Even so, stir in some nice butter (not margarine this time) to make it extra thick and tasty. Plate the meat and indulge.

Port goes very well with lamb and venison, beef might work better with dry red or perhaps dark beer and some dried chili. Experiment away, the concept is very simple and versatile.

I've come across some articles/recipes here and there that seem to indicate anything past 24-36 hours the bag juices tend to denature and aren't so awesome. I didn't use my short rib juice, and i'm debating using the pork rib juice from my most recent 48 hour 7 spice rub dunk session.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ola posted:

Denature how exactly? Does it get very gloopy and gelatinous? The times I've dony multi-day vizzles, the juices didn't seem very different from shorter duration ones.

Beats me, I'll try using it and report back. Anecdotes don't go in my mouth :D

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mr Executive posted:

The short ribs were good, and I didn't die. I'll consider that a success.

However, the ribs weren't as fantastic as I was hoping. They weren't exactly dry, but they weren't really "juicy." All the connective tissue/fat was broken down and 0% chewy, but they seemed more like steak than short ribs. They were boneless and didn't look exactly like other short ribs I've seen (they looked leaner). I didn't realize that some retailers sell other meat labeled as short ribs, but now I'm thinking that may be what happened. I bought them at Costco, so I'm kinda surprised a reputable store would do something like that (if that is what happened).

Also, keep the following in mind if you're aiming for a particular texture from your ribs:
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

G-Prime posted:

Possibly helpful, and definitely relevant here, I found this earlier today. http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/tags/sous-vide-shrimp-recipes 132 is the suggested temp for non-sushi-grade.

FYI: Sushi-Grade is a marketing term. There is no regulated standard like USDA canner/select/choice/prime for meat.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

deimos posted:

Pressure cooker caramelized onions are still my favorite.

I like the crock pot method.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yup. Just do the ice bath thing tonight so that it doesn't spend more time that absolutely necessary in the danger zone.

Option 2: let it roll in the puddle for ultimate tender.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

i'm butter poaching some potatoes right now for 1hr@190. I'll be reheating pork chops at 142 later tonight. how long can i hold the potatoes for before texture or taste become an issue?

I'll pull the taters, dump and replace half the water to get down to 140-ish, and then drop the chops and taters back in to puddle/re-warm at 142 until around 7 (maybe 90 minutes peak).

The chops were at 144 for an hour before getting chilled and placed back into the fridge friday.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

For those of us without a moist setting on our food savers, has anyone tried to freeze marinade/sauce/liquid in a small ziploc bag placed flat in the freezer, then putting the marinade "cube" in the bag, vac, then seal it, and then letting it thaw/marinate then puddle?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Plinkey posted:

I did a bunch last year and forget my exact temps...I think it's earlier in the thread somewhere. I always re bagged them because I didn't want all the stickers they put on the corned been rubbing off and loving up my circulator or something. Pretty sure I roughly followed this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html

I did one for like 48 hours though that turned out amazing, really flaky and falling apart. I want to say it was around 140 degrees.

I dropped mine in the puddle today for 10-12 hours @ 175.

Serious eats made the following tables:

FWIW: I got the kind with the packet and just sprinkled the packet onto both sides of the meat before sealing it fresh into a new bag.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Thanks for the corned beef tips here. 175F for 15 hours was firm, especially when slicing cold, but it fell apart when chewed in a nice way. Tasted great, and the bag juice made the best boiled cabbage I ever made.

Have a photo:

Looks like mine. I did the same.

Mine was a small point cut, so i didn't have much bag juice, but was tasty.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Has anyone used sous vide/pasteurization ahead of a camping trip?

I'm thinking for a memorial day weekend trip of picking up a few large packages of cheap charcoal steaks, for 48@135 to hit med. rare, tender, and pasteurized.

Possibly some chicken thighs in bbq sauce or other flavors.

Tossing them in a cooler and grilling as desired over the weekend.

Any reason this is a bad plan?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

You will be camping and I would recommend spending more time taking in the surroundings and enjoying the act of cooking over an open fire instead of trying to achieve meat perfection.

As a side note to everyone else I'd recommend mixing up your techniques from time to time for variety and to maintain your skill and knowledge in a kitchen. Circulation cooking can be a great tool; continue to utilize it as such rather than a crutch and you will be able to continue to make amazing meals when your $200 kitchen gadget isn't an option.

I was thinking of less meat perfection more sear and serve without the worry of what the cut is/how drunk i am/how it should be prepared.

AKA: oh man this looks good, it must be ready. (and it safely would be) *drunken steak eating begins*

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Won't matter because its pasteurized, duh. I also doubt he's literally going to sear and serve, more just not wanted to carry a therm because he doesn't know what done chicken feels like.

Pretty much this. It gives me (plus anyone else in my group) the ability to pull X meat out of the cooler, and cook it until its "hot" without the worry of "did I cook it enough." Plus drunken no fucks given hunger.

I could probably do a small butt and make in bag pulled pork in bbq sauce maybe, if I was really jumping on the pasteurize it bandwagon I'd do it to some burgers, but that seems WAYYYYYYYYYYY down the silly/useless idea train.

It sounds like a good idea, but I've been known to have great sounding but horrible execution ideas before and wanted a small sanity check.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just dropped a chuck roast into the bath @ 131 for the next 24ish hours.

I put in a can of masaman curry paste and massaged it real good.

I'm thinking stir fry tomorrow. :)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Curry paste trip report.

I pulled out the smaller pieces and sliced them thin-ish the tossed them in a hot wok to heat.

Pro:
Meat was tender and flavorful.
Curry was not an overpowering flavor

Con:
Curry paste and meat did not make enough bag juice for a sauce.
Perhaps next time I'll scoop out some of the paste and cut it with stock/coco-milk.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

nuru posted:

I could use some ideas for what works well with chicken breast. I'm kind of curious what would happen if I slathered it in red or yellow curry paste. Or mixed in coconut milk.

toplitzin posted:

Curry paste trip report.

I pulled out the smaller pieces and sliced them thin-ish the tossed them in a hot wok to heat.

Pro:
Meat was tender and flavorful.
Curry was not an overpowering flavor

Con:
Curry paste and meat did not make enough bag juice for a sauce.
Perhaps next time I'll scoop out some of the paste and cut it with stock/coco-milk.

Making the curry in the bag would probably work better, but perhaps if you did the all the ingredients themselves SV. Potato, carrot, onion, then drop the heat and do the chicken.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 23, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is anyone else's Sansaire rusting around the screw clip on the heating coil?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I am getting a good amount of rust in general I think.

I emailed support. they are sending me a new screw/strap assuming some sort of contamination in the band on there.

SanSaire Support posted:

Thanks for reaching out. I have only heard of this happening once before, and I am happy to send you a replacement band and screw. It’s possible that a very small amount of metal from outside of the Sansaire got stuck in the band area, since rust does not originate on the grade of steel in the Sansaire, it only accumulates. With a new band and screw this should not happen a second time.
Would you mind sending me your address so I can send you a new band and screw? Regarding cleaning off the current rust on the coils, I suggest using the technique explained on page 16 of the user manual.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

The nice thing about (most) PIDs is that they scale to whatever you need, the limitation is really your heat generator. You could probably use a $100 Dorkfood PID.

I kinda doubt lightbulbs would get up to 130F. If they don't work, maybe try a portable electric stove?

You'd be surprised what a couple of 100W incandescents will put out.

about 98W of heat

http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/html/watts-heat-lights-lamp-heat-output.html

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I turchetta'd for thanksgiving.

If I were to do it again I'd change a few things

• Make a fully uniform/flat pounding of the butterflied breasts.
  • Create a single piece using transglutaminase, let bond, then score, season, and roll.
  • Roll the skin on separate, TG optional.

I think perhaps doing this with a fresh from butcher turkey breast or just a whole bird may result in better skin integrity. My supermarket frozen breast was pretty torn up as well.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 13, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sportman posted:

What size is your "smaller" cambro? I've been using a 12 quart stockpot (with a plastic wrap / foil cover for longer cooks) and I think its time to step up my puddle game. Usually I am only cooking for 2 people, so I'd like to get the smallest thing practical.

I really think i'm going to need a second cambro.

I have large square one for most of my coking but i think i'll need a longer flatter one for brisket and other flat (ribs) cuts.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just use the $50 (on sale) foodsaver and order large cheap rolls.
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V2244-Vacuum-Sealing-System/dp/B0044XDA3S
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NI3IQAW

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Epiphyte posted:

On the subject of food safety, does meat last longer under refrigeration if you sous vide it?

I kinda assume it would since it's vacuum sealed and then cooked long enough to kill the bacteria, but this seems like one of those cases where it's better not to trust your gut

I've opened up a bag of chicken thighs 8 days post puddle and it smelled and tasted fine, but it'd be nice to have some actual facts.

I keep running into this as well. i know in my heart of hearts that I've pasteurized the meat and it should be, for all intents and purposes, shelf stable for weeks under refrigeration.
Then my food safety brain kicks in and goes ITS BEEN TEN DAYS! YOU GONNA DIE!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I have yet to find a long cook (36+) bag juice to be even close to appetizing/worth making into a pan sauce.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Has anyone tried offal SV?
I'm picking up some tripe this weekend for tacos.
I have a pressure cooker, but would also be interested if anyone has done honeycomb tripe puddled.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

I don't really see the point of sv tripe. It's tough as rubber tires if you undercook it so I would probably slow cook it.

slow cook or pressure cook?
I've never done it before, so i'm paranoid about doing it wrong. I posted a bump to the mexican thread about it as well.

Tortilla Maker posted:

Cooking them with vinegar is new to me.

You'll want to rinse them thoroughly inside and out before starting the cooking process. Basically fill a pot/sink with water and soak them, giving them a good scrubbing, and you can even hook them up to you water spout to run water through the inside. They'll be at a good point when the water is as clear as you can get it.

If you're cooking them inside your kitchen, I'm assuming you're using a pot and not something like a disco.

Throw the tripe into a pot and cover with water. You'll start the cooking process by boiling the tripe. You'll probably want to season the water/tripe - at a minimum - with white onion and a very small amount of salt. (Some people will also add garlic, oregano, evaporated milk, orange juice, and/or chile ancho. My family just does the onion and salt).

You'll want to boil for probably 45 minutes to an hour. Maybe a bit longer if it's a lot of tripe or it isn't cooked through yet. My family will also cut the tripe into smaller pieces during the cleaning/rinsing part so that likely reduced the cooking time, whereas others will boil the tripe in full long pieces and not cut until the frying phase. Once that phase is finished you'll want to remove the tripe from the water and you'll press it remove as much of the water as you can.

Afterwards you'll start the browning/frying part. Some people will add lard/oil at this point but the tripe should release enough oil on its own to give it a good fry. If you haven't cut the tripe yet you'll want to do so during this phase. My family doesn't season during the frying part but some people/recipes will call for additional seasoning at this point.

How much you fry it is personal preference. Some people like them a bit chewy, others like them crispy almost like a chicharron. I personally prefer mine on the crispier side.

Cooking tripe will always release a pungent aroma. You're better off cooking them outside if it is at all possible.

I'm getting some tripe and planning on breaking in my new pressure cooker with it. How long should i adjust the time?
My liquid recipe is going to be beer, garlic, onion, bay, oregano, couple of dried chiles. Dry it, then wok/stir fry til crispy.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I think you're right on at 75/167 since you're going for connective breakdown in a short time.

Edit: Isn't it a super fatty cut?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm so torn. I'm cooking some thick rear end ribeyes (~2# each) for a celebratory dinner and i can't decide if i wanna Ducasse them or SV to 127 and rocket sear on my cast iron + turkey fryer.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm starting another brisket tonight and i'm unsure where to go with the time temp.

I recently did one at 155 for ~36, and it came out really dry, but I also smoked it at an unknown temp for about 3+ hours. (i basically threw them on a smoker til they looked nice and barky. I used about 12 coals and 6 lumps of hardwood) It was still delicious though.

This one will have a gas grill and better temp control, and i'll still toss a few lumps of hardwood in to smoke finish it.

I'm torn on cooking it again at 155 for 24-36, dropping down to the Keni other option of 135 for ~60h, or doing a 48-60h at 140-145.

Anyone have thoughts? I'm going to go rub it down now either way.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've decided to go with 136 for 65 hours. That plus the crash, then the smoke, and then the rest should get me to a service time of about 7 pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So i don't like the Serious Eats SV+smoked brisket.
The second coat of rub makes it way too salty and the cooking times are a bit too long (on the grill).
I've cooked it both 155 and 135 and was unhappy with the results.
Both were grill/smoked finished at the noted time/temp.
I may try it one more time with a far less aggressive grill/oven finish but as of right now I would not recommend the recipe as is.