Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Chemmy posted:

Liquor doesn't age in glass bottles, generally only in wooden casks.

Without having any science to back me up, I do believe that the difference here is whether you are talking about distilled spirits or infused spirits. As there will still be a lot of flavouring agents remaining in, say, a nitrous whipper infusion compared to a distilled spirit, even if the infusion has been thoroughly strained and cheesecloth'd; the infusion will change flavour profile over time even in the bottle.

At least that's my experience with my home infusions. Some "experts" recommend aging walnut infusions for 7+ years, and the one I found of my father's from 1977 has a completely different feel, fragrance and taste than the one I made in 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

MeKeV posted:

Does anyone have insider info on the Sansaire? Their last blog post and twitter updates are from 26th October. New purchases are still indicating 18th November.

[quote]If everything goes 100% according to plan, we’ll send out the very first units in the last week of November[quote]

I tweeted @seattlefoodgeek about the new purchases date and he said he'd fix it. SHrug.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Walked posted:

Man. Every time I sous vide it comes out being the best meat I've cooked.

The ONE issue I have is compared to conventional cooking the sous vide meat seems to cool while serving / on the plate far faster. I mean its obviously just a product of not heating to as high of a temperature, but its still kinda annoying.

That said, made pork tenderloin at 140F for 3hrs then torched it three times with a bourbon glaze and it was the best pork tenderloin I've ever had. drat.

Heat your plates?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
That it is. Pre-release pre-lawsuit. Smug bastard.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Scott from Sansaire posted a comment that they recommended containers at least 9" tall because that way the unit would sit only on the edge of the container and not on the bottom. The tallest cambro I've been able to find is "only" 8 inches. Anyone seen taller/deeper?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

No Wave posted:

This is the one most people use for vizzling: http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189C...keywords=cambro

(9 inches on the dot, which would normally make me want more leeway, but Sansaire was most likely designed to operate with this given its popularity)

Huh, odd. I looked at the Cambro website and couldn't find a Camwear taller than 8" (https://www.cambro.com/Products/Food_Pans_and_Lids/Camwear_Food_Pans_and_Lids/10737422653/1033.aspx )

fake edit: ah, I see, it's listed under "Food boxes", I was looking at food pans / gastro sized.

real edit: drat, it seems like they don't sell those here. The only boxes I can find are polypropylene, and that's not good enough for heat. The halfpans etc are the only Cambros sold here that are polycarb, and they don't come in that size.

Dane fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 7, 2014

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Sansaire chose the absolute worst parcel company in Europe (Parcelforce / GLS). According to the trace, mine's been stuck in a holding pen for the past 3 days. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Well, gently caress. I got my Sansaire today, and it's borked. The pump is loud as I'd expect something from a diy build using the cheapest materials and the display panel has half its pixels missing. And I was so looking forward to it ...

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Doh004 posted:

Definitely let them know as they should replace it pretty quickly, that's no bueno.

Mine runs great and super quiet.

Yeah, I wrote them immediately, both on the kickstarter comments page and by email. It sucks though, I had ingredients lined up for the first meal.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
They're shipping a replacement Sansaire to me now, hoping it works.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
My replacement Sansaire should arrive today, and they've just emailed me that handling international returns is too tricky at this time, and that I should just keep the faulty one.

So I guess I need to try and figure out to fix the noise on the pump, because for a free second unit, I can deal with a faulty display - it's possible to read it, just not instantly.

I can see the possibilities already ...

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Steve Yun posted:

Mexican groceries! Mine has enough massive bricks of lard and tallow that you could make a small fort

Scandinavia desperately needs a massive immigration of mexicans, koreans and chinese. So much good stuff that's just not available.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Has anyone fiddled around with the inside of the Sansaire? They let me keep my faulty unit, and while I doubt that I can fix the display, I hope I might be able to do something about the noisy pump. Any tips?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy4NJi_gogg

That's what it sounds like. I have no idea what the cause is.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I'm doing a small smoked ham in my sansaire, but concentration & memory problems are loving with me.

On the package it says cook to a core temp of 75 C. Doesn't that sound pretty high? I would have thought ham would be good at 65?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Dane posted:

I'm doing a small smoked ham in my sansaire, but concentration & memory problems are loving with me.

On the package it says cook to a core temp of 75 C. Doesn't that sound pretty high? I would have thought ham would be good at 65?

aaand never mind, the Sansaire is busted. Moving the temp adjustment ring clockwise makes a grinding noise and it won't even move the other way. Something must have shaken loose. Sigh.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

deimos posted:

This thread is anecdotal poison for Sansaire, I wonder if a statistically significant sample has similar failure rates.

I've been very unlucky, no doubt about it. But I haven't heard of many others with problems.

This one failed because of a bad solder:

The potentiometer-thing for the temp control just snapped off its solder.

The good thing is that their customer service (at least in Europe) is fantastic. At 10 AM I sent them an email describing the problem, at 6 PM I received an answer informing me that a new unit had been shipped to me and that I should feel free to do with the faulty unit what I wanted.

This means that if things work out and I'm able to resolder this one and fix the noise on the other one, I'll end up with 3 units for the price of one ...

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
With a little one in the house, the quality of our food has seriously gone on a downward spiral, there just isn't time to do the stuff I really want. So I'm planning to batch-cook a lot more, and I'm wondering what sous-vide recipes you might recommend - ones that lend themselves well to freezing or fridging after puddling and that don't require too much work to finish?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah mine fell from great height one time and I've never been able to get the cover back on properly. The temp wheel also kind of grinds or something when it turns but I assume that's from falling down. Still it works fine so whatever.

Hey FGR, be careful with that. I had that grinding sound on mine when I got it. The potentiometer or whatever it was that adjusts the temp had bent a bit, and after using it just a few times, it got worse until it finally snapped off its solder. I got a replacement, but better to be careful. I'd consider opening it up (can be done just with screwdrivers) and checking that nothing is stuck or has been bent there before it gets to where you need to resolder poo poo.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

I tried using my sansaire this weekend and the temp wheel is totally stuck and grinding now and completely nonfunctional. Yay sansaire!

... that ... sucks? (damnit man, I told you!)

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

You sure did, so I wan't surprised when it happened. How long is the warrant on these things? Or is it time to get that new Annova?

Not sure, but they were really cool about replacing mine at no cost to me, so it's worth a try.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Steve Yun posted:

Freeze the fruit and then thaw, and then vacuum. The ice crystals will break up the plant fibers and cell walls, which makes them easy to vacuum compress.

Have you done this with infusions? And how?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
We'll be throwing a naming party for our boy (think baptism without the religious aspects) and since our budget is limited, I am going to do as much of the cooking as possible. Any good suggestions for sous-vide preparations that don't require much, if any, finishing on the day (can be served cold or reheated in oven) and would work well in a buffet setting? At the venue we'll have a single stove and two ovens, but not much in the way of time or equipment.

I'm considering doing a lightly cured carpaccio style-thing with rosemary and brown sugar, sliced super thin but other than that I'm feeling very uninspired.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I somehow doubt we'll make pastrami from a WHOLE loving COW, but other than that, thanks!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Is it just me or is this guy doing everything you shouldn't do with sous vide?

http://stefangourmet.com/2013/06/02/hanger-steak-sous-vide/

tldr: he cooks his onglet for 1 hour at 103F, then 1 hour at 121F, then 3 hours at 131F for "warm aging".

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Steve Yun posted:

We've been discussing (back and forth in the last few pages) the possibility of cooking in the danger zone for a maximum of 4 hours. The idea is that the meat's own enzymes are the most active in danger zone temps, so as long as you keep it within 4 hours it should still theoretically be safe and, if the enzyme action works as advertised, more tender than a steak just cooked sous vide.

Out of my own sense of self-preservation, I would limit the "danger zone" cooking to 2-3 hours, which Stefan seems to do as well, bringing it up to 131°F afterwards for "real cooking."

I have not tried it yet myself but a couple goons have and said it seems to work. I have to stress that this is all playing with fire so take extra precaution and sniff carefully and stuff so that you don't get 48 hours of explosive diarrhea.

In my experience, one nice bout of food poisoning tends to plant you firmly on the cautious side of the fence for a long time.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
There's $25 off the Anova Precision until the end of march with the code SPRING25 - http://anovaculinary.com/products/a..._eid=da8fdbc1e4

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I have a food safety question:

I'll be making Kenji's 36 hour porchetta and plan on serving it cold on Saturday. My plan is to prep and vacuum it tomorrow (Tuesday) evening, then fridge it until Wednesday morning, starting the cook there. That means that it will be done Thursday around 8 PM. I'll ice it down, then Friday afternoonish, I'll crisp up the skin somehow, cool it down again and slice and serve Saturday afternoon. Does this sound completely retarded? I can't postpone the deep fry until Saturday because of the venue we'll be at (and because I don't trust the help we have there to not gently caress it up).

My concern is mainly with the repeated heat/cool processes and the raw garlic inside the roll-up. I've already decided not to use my usual broad leaf parsley in the roll up just for safety's sake. Should I use powdered garlic for safety? Should I do the crisping immediately after S-V instead?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Thanks CDC & FGR, I tend to land solidly on the cautious side of the fence when cooking for people outside the immediate family (my dad used to say 'you can do what you want provided you're the one who wipes up the vomit' - he refused to serve mussels at parties).

After the sous vide it'll be cooled down completely (and rapidly). I'll be crisping it up with the porchetta at fridge temp, so cooling it back down after the fry shouldn't be a problem.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
One 9 pound porchetta, halved, and a 6 pound eye of round roast. Stringing meats is the bane of my existence.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
"Hey, this sous vide thing is all the rage, they're making shitloads of money on kickstarter and stuff!"

"Awesome, let's get in on that action. What can we make that they'll go nuts over?"

"A good Sous-Vide machine is too hard. I dunno. What about fancy clothespegs to hold the bags? Or, no, hey, I've got it! Racks!"

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lipavi-sous-vide-racks

$45-75 for a metal rack. Sigh.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Steve Yun posted:

http://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=spring25

Hey you lazy bums who didn't buy an Anova Precision cooker yet can get 25% off with coupon code SPRING25

Is it 25% now? When I posted the code a while back it was $25 off for the same code.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Woot has a sale on Foodsavers today, $60:

http://home.woot.com/offers/foodsaver-vacuum-food-sealer-starter-kit-2?ref=cnt_dly_tl

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Juice Box Hero posted:

^ I would be interested to hear some answers to that as well.

I tried the magical 144 degree poached eggs tonight. Wow, they were really delicate. The paper towel I used for draining them ripped most of them open when I was trying to plate. I guess you're supposed to serve them wet. Or I didn't finish them long enough.

I've never had a problem preparing normal poached eggs, and since you have to use all the same equipment and it takes a lot longer to do the sous vide version, I think I'll stick to the old school way. The sous vide ones that survive the process are pretty and all, but not close to worth the extra 45 mins IMO.

The real benefit as far as poached eggs and sous vide is concerned is volume and consistency, I think. If you're making 3 and you're fairly solid at poaching eggs, then why set up the circulator? But if I were making eggs benny for even 6 people I'd rather focus on getting the other parts just right than faffing around with poaching.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Some of their stuff is quite good. And I think the problem with the garlic thing was that (and I might totally misunderstand how microwaves work) their recipe was intended for a microwave where 80% power means 80% power, all of the time, instead of the way most consumer microwaves work which is 100% power, 80% of the time.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

The pump on mine was definitely making some intermittent noises. Gonna have to keep an eye on that I suppose.

The early Anovas had the same problem the Sansaire does; the impeller shaft is only really fixed at one point which makes it incredibly easy for it to go out of alignment in shipping and makes it vulnerable to tiny manufacturing defects. I don't get why they didn't try to stabilize it more.

Maybe that's the case with the new one as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
When doing steaks, how long in advance would you say I can s+p & bag without curing the meat? I'm buying a large hunk o' beef and portioning it into steaks.