Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Please don’t gently caress chickens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I know I know

Yeah, searzall or torch for steaks. Direct MAPP + torch might be a little too hot and concentrated still even for steak, so if you have a strainer you don't give a poo poo about, maybe use it as a radiant heat diffuser. Personally I still like using a skillet for steaks the most because it can do a whole side of the steak instead of a 4 inch circle at a time

Solution for chicken if you have a searzall, is to just put it an inch farther from the chicken and then it won't be too hot/fast

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Always vac at less than full power, hit the seal button before it seals itself. Full power on a foodsaver seems to give meats a dryer/firmer texture

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I did Chefsteps’ sous vide brisket. One half of it turned out a little dry and tough, and the other half was juicy and moist. I guess people say the “point” is always better than the “flat” of a brisket.

Will cooking the flat to a different temp solve this, or is it always a problem?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmm I trimmed maybe 3/4 of the fat off both. Would leaving more fat in have helped?

I can’t think of anything else I could have done, I followed the Chefsteps recipe with no deviations

24 hours st 154F

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 4, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I would have smoked traditionally, but the neighbors had a condo fire and I thought it might not be a good time

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Instant Pot has an immersion circulator for $60, 800w. Might be the first Anova knockoff to actually provide real competition

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-SSV800-Accu-Circulator/dp/B07898VZN9

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 13, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Partycat posted:

Second turchetta I’ve made sous vide , went a little overboard with the pepper but it’s made for sandwiches.

The thing always ends up too big to fit in my Dutch oven or actual deep fryer. I can’t pull off the pan fry well given the shape of the thing but it puts some color on it.

Next time I will probably roll it the other way, and trim the skin so it is more compact . A little longer in the SV and it should cook up fine I would think.

Just cut it in half when you deep fry it. Scrape out some of the herbs from the newly exposed cut face since they burn fast

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
For cheap: Saran Wrap

For effort: custom cut a lid hole for your circulator, if you’re using a cambro or Rubbermaid container

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It could be that they're all valid times and temps, but lean towards effects they like.

edit: I'm seeing 132°F and 160°F for top round recipes. If you want medium rare steak textures, go for 132. If you want traditional well done round go for 160

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 20, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ahh, I’m jealous. I already have two older Anovas and a Dorkfood. I thought I got a steal when I got the Anovas for $100 each

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My old precision cookers from the kickstarter can heat up a 4.75 gallon Cambro tub to medium rare temperatures without insulation. Any higher than 135 and I’d need two

I think it was 800 watts? It looks like the new ones are 1000 W

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 11, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Kwolok posted:

I'm really curious if anyone here has the anova chamber sealer. I am an idiot and I really want one.

https://www.seriouseats.com/anova-precision-chamber-vacuum-sealer-review-7099612

Pros: works pretty well for the price
Cons: Anova’s food saver seems to get better air removal for $150, chamber is small

I guess if you have use cases where you absolutely need a chamber (vacuuming liquids, vacuum compressing fruit, etc) then it’s a good deal. Otherwise if you have the patience to prefreeze liquids or fruit to vacuum them maybe stick with the food saver style vacuums

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

KinkyJohn posted:

How much power does the average sous vide stick use per hour to cook a medium rare steak?

Very little once it’s up to temp

I attached an electricity meter to an Anova several years ago to test it out, don’t remember how much but it was like pennies

So start it out with hot water

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I might’ve asked this before but I forgot

Is the bag juice good for anything

It’d be a shame to throw out all this meaty seasoned liquid

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Pretty annoying to wash

They take up a lot of space in the dishwasher cause you have to gape them open to make sure the inside corners get clean

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

MrYenko posted:

souls vide

My favorite video game subgenre

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

by.a.teammate posted:

So I tried the Kenji pork belly sous vide last night and while it was alright the meat part wasn't as silky and juicy as I hoped, now I was using English pork slices, pre cut quite thin and was wondering if the meat is cut thin should I reduce temp or time to see if it had an effect?

Did you season it before bagging? I’m noticing and others have noticed that pre-seasoning seems to firm up meat in sous vide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Kwolok posted:

Just follow Kenji's oven baked crispy wings recipe. Its killer.

I should add that if you’re baking more wings it will require significantly more oven time