Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Butter has a very high amount of water in it, try something else?

I used grapeseed oil for my first time. I think the milk proteins may help with the browning, but I haven't used it enough to say that with any certainty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

So what is the advantage to using a Searzall over just using the same torch without the attachment? Is it mainly more even heat distribution over a wider area?

Yes, it's much more even and controllable. The other huge benefit is no torch taste -- or least I have not detected any. I didn't really use my torch much before, because I could always pick up a fuel and/or burnt taste.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I know this is from a few days ago, but are you using either propane or butane for your torch? I use mapp fuel, which came recommended by Sansaire's website, and it doesn't have any taste I can detect at all, but I can taste a bit of propane on anything that was cooked on a propane grill. The nice thing about mapp is that it burns super hot so you only need 10 seconds max to sear a steak or burger per side, so overcooking the inside of the meat you're searing is a non-issue. The downside is that it burns way too hot to use a searzall with.

I have the Iwatani and had been using it with butane.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Ultimate Mango posted:

Its okay, I ordered a two pack. One White and one Red.
I won't get them in time for Christmas. One was a christmas gift. The other a birthday gift, for someone born in October.

Did you see the latest update? https://www.kickstarter.com/project..._project_update

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Gorman Thomas posted:

Are there any good guides on how to properly sear using a blowtorch?

I used a ts8000 on a pork tenderloin last night and was a little too heavy handed with the torch.

You're halfway to searzall.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I sous vide and chill shrimp for shrimp cocktail. I find they don't shrink as much as other methods. I noticed they get a little mushy around where the heads are cut off. Kind of gross to think about, but I just run my finger over to remove.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I don't understand why you're not buying an Anova or Sansaire.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Ah, didn't realize how inexpensive the unit is. Also :airquote: hydroponics industry :airquote: :420:

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Livin' on the edge with that canister :smug:

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I like my Searzall if I'm eating alone, but I found it too slow for more than one piece of meat at a time. It's helpful when smoking-out your apartment with a pan isn't an option because it's below freezing outside.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Plastic wrap works for me. As a bonus, you get to tap off the condensation, because that's strangely satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Scinon posted:

The SousVide Supreme Demi is on sale at their website for $179 total with free shipping with coupon code DEMI179.

I wouldn't bother. Takes up too much room, doesn't circulate, and less capacity compared to the ANOVA/sansaire/etc.