Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My Christmas present from my parents overseas this year is an Anova and a Foodsaver. Do I need to get a good torch, or will my cast iron do the trick for searing my svizzled meat without overcooking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Steve Yun posted:

Cast iron > torch for searing

Cool thanks. I'll use my cast iron and hold off on a torch until the Searzall and competitor products come out.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Salt steak before svizzling it, yay or nay?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Wouldn't the pepper burn and taste bad since I'm going to be searing it at a really high 475+ temp?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

The Midniter posted:

The pepper won't burn, that's not really a thing.

Could have sworn I read otherwise in one of the old cast iron threads. I also noticed more smoke before I stopped pre-peppering and instead went with post-sear-resting-peppering. I won't derail further though. I like the idea of using whole peppercorns during the svizzle though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I am really enjoying the Anova. So far I've done some scotch fillet and eye fillet @ 134 finished off in the cast iron, chicken breast with fresh sage leaves and garlic @ 140 for 3 hours before browning in butter with the garlic, and duck breast @ 140 for 3 hours.

If I get a small cheap boneless pork butt roast, and if I can get it to fit in a foodsaver bag, any suggestions for svizzling it? Suggestions for temps, times and what I could do with it welcome. Wondering if I could make the ultimate pulled pork.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That or there was a bad bacteria on the outside that didn't die off. Blanching would probably kill that bacteria is my guess.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

dotster posted:

Yup, the bag inflating is just water vapor.

That's what this guy says http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Barbecue_Ribs

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

I like turtles posted:

I've got a sauerbraten pickling now, using a bottom round roast. Considering doing it in the SVS at like 134 when it's ready. How long should it go?
Further, I'm thinking about just cooking it in the cure, I have it all in a gallon ziplock right now, and it's sealed up nicely with no air. Any reason this would be a dumb idea?

Can't answer your question but if you do this, PLEASE come back and post your results because I love Sauerbraten.

edit: PM'd you

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 30, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Iron Tusk posted:

What's the first thing I should make for my wife to justify another kitchen toy taking up space?

Steak. If she is like my wife and doesn't like good steak, chicken breast. Don't tell her it was cooked @ only 140 otherwise she may get it into her head that it's not safe even after you explain the science of pasteurization :eng99:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Make sure you're cleaning off any stickers really well though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Re: Sansaire vs. Anova, I'd say the Anova is a better recommendation right now because the Sansaire only very recently went into mass production. Who knows, maybe there is a faulty part in the first batches that will fail in 50% of the units in 6 months.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I prefer cast iron pan sear over Iwatani for beef steaks and pork chops. Obviously I don't have the Searzall yet but apart from spreading the heat more I don't see it making enough of a difference to sway me. Maybe niche applications.

(I'll still buy a Searzall and whatever torch they recommend/support)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

No Wave posted:

For those keeping track, that's a few broken Sansaires already, no broken Anovas - has a tipping point been reached? Can the hivemind recommend the Anova over the Sansaire?

I mentioned earlier in the thread that we should be recommending the Anova already because the Sansaire only just went into mass production, anecdotes of faulty equipment aside.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Drive By posted:

I'll be happy to take questions/post details/tell you about that one time I almost passed out from the cigarette smoke in a Chinese electronics market.

Are you reaching out to any famous entertainment chefs that have a home-cook following? Alton Brown springs to mind as someone that might dig your machine, and he just started a new youtube channel that might need content... the Mellow isn't a unitasker after all.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Nothing while svizzling, salt then pat dry before searing, pepper and salt while resting, done. I don't pepper when searing because it burns.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
6 - 8 hours sounds way too long. I'd bump the temp up a bit and do it much shorter, like 2 hours max.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I don't use any oil and steaks don't stick. Need to leave them on a single side without moving for a couple of minutes for them to lift off naturally.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Wife and I are doing Thanksgiving for 12 people this year. I'm in charge of the turkey, gravy and dressing at the in-laws house where it's being hosted, whilst the wife is at our house making pie and some sides. I won't have much room on the stove for anything else (MIL is doing the mashed potatoes there too) but was thinking I could svizzle something simple in a corner of the house and impress the family with my gadgetry.

Any recommendations on a super simple vegetable side dish for Thanksgiving that really highlights the benefit of cooking sous vide?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Totally doing a couple bags carrots and a bag of small onions. Thanks.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Casu Marzu posted:

131F Ribeye, fondant potatoes, demi glazed green beans and roasted mushrooms. gently caress yeah.

God drat do I love me a fondant potato. Surprised they're not more common in steakhouses.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Ola posted:

I'd never heard of them before. Trying this weekend.

This wasn't svizzled, but here was my attempt at fondant potatoes:

Yes yes, trim your asparagus. This was from a while ago.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Ola posted:

My fondant potatoes turned out ok. I found a recipe which browned first, then cooked later. It made the brown bits quite mild tasting.

You're not meant to put the browned side into the stock. You brown one side nice and crisp in oil on the stove top, then flip them over so the browned side is on top and remains crispy whilst the other side is cooking in the stock and butter in the oven. The 3 popular recipes/videos I've looked at all follow this method.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

ShadowCatboy posted:

Huh neat. I actually did something similar for a Chinese dinner party with Scallion Oil Chicken, 150*F but for 12 hours. It was served cold, super tender and moist and gelatinous:

Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I heard a few times that modern factory farmed pork in the USA is using pigs bred to be really lean (not just surface fat but in the flesh itself). Then I was told this 'kurobota' pork is some special old school pig breed thats nice and fatty. I get this pork along with American 'kobe' beef at my favorite Shabu Shabu place. Seems fatty.

Any truth to this?