Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Speaking of apps for sous vide: http://www.sousvidedash.com/ is a really helpful app to calculate pasteurization times for various foods. Also iOS only though, sorry! They might release an android version though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

If the Nomiku is any indication, it takes a buttwhile to go from kickstart to market with a kitchen device. The Sansaire schedule seemed very aggressive when I looked at it; it's a shame they're not being more open about it.

Question:
I made some short ribs this weekend. Browned 'em, salted and peppered 'em, and popped them into plastic baggies with a sprig of thyme for 72 hours at 57.2 C. I then put them in the fridge overnight (we were going out to eat with a guest that I didn't realize would be staying the whole weekend) and reheated them this evening. They smelled very strong. "Marrowy" is the world my girlfriend used. The meat had a great texture and tasted wonderful, but the strong smell was off-putting. I did leave the bone attached. Should I have removed that? Anything I should have done different?

That happens to me with longer cook times and "gamier" meats. I'm not sure how to avoid it, I've read that some people rinse meat prior to cooking but I don't know if that would introduce bacteria and using distilled water would get old quick. It never seems to affect the safety of the meat, just adds the off-putting aroma. I've also read that it may be "offal" flavors coming out from cuts located near organs but I don't know if that's true at all.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

cooter64 posted:

I'm in hour 64 of my first 72 hour cook so was reading up on technique this week. According to modernist cuisine at home, pre-searing on a long cook can produce off flavors, so they suggest waiting until they come out to brown.

I never brown meat before I put it in, always after.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Drive By posted:

Dave Arnold did a thing a few years back to test whether salting before sous-vide had any effect. The general conclusion was that salting before sousvizzing made the meat drier, with no gain in flavour. He guessed that was due to a "curing" of the meat during the cooking time. I haven't pre-salted since then, but can't say I've noticed a huge difference.

Here's an Ideas In Food post about the same thing, where they suggest either brining or salting post-svizzing, but never before: http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2011/10/corrective-seasoning.html

I wonder if you could get the best of both worlds by vacuuming meats with just a little bit of brine solution, say, 10% or 20% of meat weight. Anyone ever try that?

I've not done that exactly but I have vacuumed meats that I've injection brined with no seasoning otherwise with fantastic results. Pork injected with a brine of salt, sugar, touch of clove and apple juice is pretty tasty. Similar brine with milk for turkey (from modernist cuisine at home actually, pretty great) had awesome results.

Lots of meat in this thread, anyone have some awesome non protein recipes? I have a few:

For ice cream, you can use basically any custard or ice cream recipe. I do 250ml milk and cream, 100g sugar, ~150g egg yolk, plus any spices/flavorings. Mix to combine, seal (or zip lock and pot of water if you're not a super rich dude with a chamber sealer) and cook at 185F for an hour. Put into an ice bath and chill for an hour then store or churn or mix with dry ice. Sous vide custards are pretty great and if you can get dry ice it makes a fantastically smooth ice cream.

Broccoli florets with butter and garlic, season, 183-185F for 30-60 minutes

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html - great carrots

I can't remember where I read it but 4 eggs, two yolks, a touch of butter, some shredded gruyere and some cubed gruyere at 164 for 15-30 minutes makes an insane omelette

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
Why don't buy a sous vide supreme? I get that there are better and cheaper alternatives now but I have one from before that was the case and am generally happy with it

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Hauki posted:

Chiming in to say my SVS started to corrode instantly - both the aluminum plate and a couple little spots on the lining of the SVS itself. Never got a reply when I sent an inquiry about it to their customer service. It also has a 2F margin of error according to my thermapen/other thermometers, which seems pretty relevant when you're trying to hit a specific consistency/texture on an egg or something.

Weird! I've had mine for years (all though it is the full size unit) and never had any issues. Thermapen registers as less than a degree swing but I've not tested that extensively. I don't even change the water in it with regularly, unless something gets in it from a leaky bag or I feel like I need to clean the machine. Sad to hear the customer service is weak though; I've never had to utilize it but it'll probably come up at some point.

In my experience the SVS has been relatively bulletproof, with the exception of permanent taking up a ton of counter space. I would definitely get an Anova or Sansaire if I got one now even if they weren't significantly cheaper just for that reason alone.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Chemmy posted:

The full sized SVSs have always been stainless steel. I'd bet they're well aware of the issue.

edit: I'm not mad or anything, I bought it on sale for $199 and have used it for like five years (ignoring that it got replaced after a year). I just wouldn't buy a Sous Vide Supreme Demi, there are better options available that are cheaper. When I bought it Polyscience's cheapest circulator was like $600.

I've not had the corrosion issue but I got my SVS under the same circumstances. That being said I'd still get an Anova if I were to do it again at this point. The smaller footprint is obviously subject to the container but the thing is when you're done you can dump the bath and all you have to put away is a pot you likely already had and a stick. The SVS is good but even when empty still takes up a huge amount of space. Water circulation doesn't really have that big of a factor, I've actually tried putting a small aquarium pump in mine that I had left over from a touchy DIY setup I had because I'm a huge loving nerd. It didn't really make any worthwhile change.

The biggest thing is to be able to change the bath at will. It feels like such a waste of energy to do the SVS bath for 1-2 pieces of Salmon and while I've not had the issue of the bath being too small (although I have had to do some bag rearranging to make it happen) it would be nice to have the option to get bigger or even have the same volume of water in different dimensions (e.g. longer and thinner bath).

I've considered buying a second sous vide setup and if I made the plunge it would probably be an Anova. Unless there was a crazy surprise the SVS would probably be moved to backup.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I got a chamber dealer even before my puddle machine arrived. Heck, my Sansaire still isn't here and I love my chamber sealer.
There are online sites that have good deals on the Vacmaster consumer grade machine, mine was under $500 delivered.

Where'd you find a Vacmaster that low? Cheapest I've seen is 550 shipped. I'm probably going to buy one in a week or two so I would love to save a bit.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
One of the Chef Steps guys said that they cook their meat almost exclusively from frozen because apparently it loses less moisture that way. His words: "Cooking straight from frozen seems to allow muscle foods to reach the point where the proteins begin to gel sooner, trapping water and preventing drip loss during cooking. Slow thawing allows more time for ice crystals to continue to do their damage."

He does not recommend a time (because as mentioned there is not "a" time) but Douglas Baldwin has an approximate table for raising frozen meats to 1F less than the water baths temp in his "tender meat" section. By this table a 30mm (~1.1") steak would take 2 1/4 hours to go from frozen to within 1 degree F of the bath's temperature. The pasteurization time for the same piece of meat is 3 hours at 131F. One would assume that if you want to truly pasteurize to core than you would have to wait the 2 1/4 hours for the core to come to temp and then 3 hours for pasteurization. However, the math behind these tables assumes that specific heat, conductivity, and density are constant. There's an inherent difficulty in calculating pasteurization times from frozen because during the phase change from ice to water the heat conductivity is less reliable than it would be with thawed meat, where it is fairly constant. I think he used to have some more info on pasteurizing frozen meat but upon testing found the models were not as reliable and has taken them down but I could be remembering that wrong.

It's definitely possible and even probable that it can be done safely but I would personally be more comfortable monitoring the center with a probe thermometer until it came to temperature and then following the FDA pasteurization guidelines for whatever temp I was shooting for (http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/RetailFoodProtection/FoodCode/ucm186451.htm#part3-4) or serving immediately if I did not want pasteurization (e.g. fish and very rare meat). If you don't reach 131F in four hours then I wouldn't eat it but in all likelihood that probably won't be an issue unless you're cooking some huge roast.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Aluminum pot. If I'm feeling fancy, I put it inside a slightly large aluminum pot and put tinfoil over that to keep the warm in.

Some of these nerds really like the Coleman Party Stacker cooler: http://blog.nomiku.com/post/81416297888/tuesday-tip-hack-a-cooler-home-for-your-nomiku

I used this for my DIY setup way back, worked pretty well

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

Modernist Cusine at Home has a burger preparation which goes straight from the puddle machine to the deep fryer. I've never done it since I don't own a dedicated deep fryer and I've heard too many wok-frying horror stories, but I have eaten the final result at a friend's place. It's loving delicious.

I got a chance to try a cryo-fried burger (same preparation but they freeze it with liquid nitrogen before frying to minimize gradient in the meat) and it was pretty tasty but I don't know how much of that was the nitrogen bath versus just really good quality meat. I've tried to approximate by freezing the burger but that takes too long and in my opinion makes the end product mushier (although I haven't done any kind of side by side test) and by submerging in a bath of dry ice and alcohol but that had similar results.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Drive By posted:

Yes, it should be trivial to complete after UL/ETL, but we're really, really trying to cut down on the chance of unforeseen complications. This poo poo is hard enough to pull off as it is.

How quickly can it go from hot to cold and vice versa? Is there any benefit to the chilling other than holding food safely prior to reheating? Congrats on the startup, best of luck to you. I don't have the cash or need to replace my sous vide setup but yours looks very appealing if I were to do so.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

SubG posted:

That's cool and all, but you pretty much might as well just finish them in the oven if you're going to puddle before smoking---you're not going to get much smoke ring formation after the meat hits about 60 C/140 F. You'll get some condensation of smoke on the surface of the meat, so it'll smell smokey and that contributes to the overall experience or whatever, but if you really want to sous vide smoked ribs you're better off smoking until the meat hits like 140 and then finish in the puddle machine.

Pretty much this. I did a pork butt this weekend in the smoker until it hit 160 then bagged it, sous vide at 167 for 24 hours, then finished quickly in the smoker at a high temp to stiffen the bark back up. Came out really well with a great smoke ring. I've heard of people doing a 72 hour sous vide at closer to 150 but I've never tried it. I want my pulled pork to still have some bite and I feel like the longer lower cook might be too mushy. I've also done this process with tea smoked duck and similarly had excellent results.

One caveat to this method: The area around the sous vide will reek of smoke and the water will turn brown. This is because smoke can permeate some bags (not sure about the thicker food saver bags, I use a cryovac that uses the thinner bags without the corrugation that food saver bags have.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

The spores themselves are harmless, yes. When presented with the right environment (warm, oxygen-free, and full of tasty food) the spores germinate - becoming active bacteria again. So if you let your food sit there in the bag for a long while after cooking, you could potentially create a happy place for botulism bacteria - which will then go on to produce some wonderful botulinum toxin, a tiny amount of which can cause paralysis or death. Fun!

Botulinum is lethal at one microgram.

That toxin is why you either need to have your food reach a proper internal temp within 4 hours or eat it quickly (e.g. 20-30 minute salmon at 120F). If you throw a super thick meat sphere into a sous vide at 131 and it takes 12 hours to reach 131 internally the pasteurization has not occurred in a safe amount of time. It's also possible that some botulism spores can survive pasteurization and reactivate! Douglas Baldwin suggests freezing after heating to combat this but I've never done it.

On that topic, research over the past few years is beginning to show the whole "inside of a muscle is sterile" thing is not always true (and false enough to worry, at least for me). One should always cook meat to a proper internal temperature. Not even counting jaccarded, transglutimased, or brined meats, the sterility of the interior only applies to live, healthy animals. Improper butchering or trimming, missed vascular or lymphatic disease can lead to contamination of the interior of the muscle.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

SubG posted:

Most of the studies I've seen suggest that the major C. botulinum risk associated with sous vide cooking is not during the cooking itself but rather in vacuum sealed foods refrigerated improperly after cooking (e.g. stored at temperatures over 4 C) for prolonged periods. I'd be interested in seeing data demonstrating germination and growth at sous vide temperatures over typical sous vide timescales (e.g. a couple hours to 72 hours or so at the outside).

Yeah, most of the stuff I've read is along these lines (and I assume is why Baldwin recommends the cook-freeze method). It's interesting that there is not a terrific amount of sous vide safety research considering it's been around for decades

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Spatule posted:

Speaking of risk and ignoring it:

I just cooked the worst possible quality bone-in ribeye I could find into unicorn meat !
1h at 39C
1h at 49C
2h at 54C
30 sec/side on the grill

Don't do this at home I guess.

It was as tender and tasty as most dry-aged meat I've ever had. When I cooked this meat the usual way in the past (dump on the grill, let warm up under foil for 30min or so), it was tough to the point of being inedible.

What was your reasoning for cooking it this way?

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

geetee posted:

If you guys haven't tried puddling salmon, you're missing out. 130F for 45 minutes. Maybe a bit lower temperature if it's lean. I like to make a thick puttanesca sauce to serve with it. Saute some garlic and onion in a pan. Throw in sliced kalmata olives, capers, and a couple slivered roma tomatoes per person. Some lemon zest, juice, splash of wine and balsamic maybe. Cook it covered for 30 minutes and uncover to reduce for another 15. Finish with a small pat of butter if you're feeling up to it. I let the salmon sit out for 5 minutes before crisping the skin in a pan.

edit: and whatever italian spices, salt, pepper

7% brine for 10-15 minutes (I do it while the oven preheats) helps flavor and presentation by preventing the albumen from getting all goopy. I like 125F for 30 minutes and a quick sear on the skin, my girlfriend prefers 135-140. Salmon (and many other fish) are excellent and really fun to experiment with temp versus texture

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
Anyone ever sous vide a beef heart? Normally I just grill it but I want to see if I can get a better texture this way. Googling is not as helpful as I thought it would be. Right now I'm going off of the calf's heart recipe from Keller's under pressure (79.4C for 24 hours, I'm just doing 80 because seriously Keller? I would bet money you can't tell the difference between 1-2 degrees let alone half of one degree)

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

nwin posted:

I made some chicken thighs using voltaggios method (garlic powder, salt, pepper, butter vacuum sealed with boneless skin on chicken thigh) and I made some extras.

The first batch cooked up great as I pan fried them the next day, but I have a few left that have been sous vided, but not pan fried, so they're still vacuum sealed. I froze them, so I'm wondering if they'll still taste good if I thaw them out and then pan fry? Or will the texture be hosed up due to freezing?

I regularly freeze sous vide stuff with little effect on texture. You can simply thaw in the fridge or if you're impatient like me throw it in a water bath at the desired cooked temperature for a half hour to hour to rapidly reheat from frozen. In fact, I find cooking from frozen can yield a superior protein as long as one compensates adequately with timing and accepts the (admittedly minor) factor of unpredictability of phase change from ice to liquid. My rule of thumb is about 30-60 extra minutes unless it's super delicate, super thick, or some other weird shape variable.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
I ordered it from Amazon as soon as I saw it come up and got a shipping notice with a tracking number this morning saying that it will be here Saturday. Apparently if you got it soon enough for Amazon to have processed it they just let it slide.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
I just got mine and it's pretty great. Installation was easy and seasoning wasn't bad (although watch your hand placement because it gets hot as gently caress). Using a propane tank I had; I have a few Map tanks but I wanted to see how long cool down takes first. It's long enough to be a pain in the rear end to just sit around holding the thing but for how hot it gets its relatively cool in under 5 minutes and safe to handle the actual searzall attachment in about 10.

I searzalled a brioche bun I had laying around and then melted some cheese on it. Works very well but practice on something less important because I wrecked the first piece of bread. After like 10 seconds it very quickly goes from no visible toasting to black. No off flavors that I normally associate with the torch so far either.

I've got a leg of lamb in my water bath right now that should be done in a few hours, will post pics after

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Straker posted:

Hi, I came to post that Anova is finally shipping, meaning I should have my five cookers in the next month or so assuming everyone is still interested! I saw someone already said this but had some other things to say!

1) I like shopping and already have everything I want so I feel like I should get a Searzall, if I don't already have a torch what exactly is best to use it with in terms of gas + torch?

They explicitly state that they only support the Bernzomatic ts4000 and ts8000 heads on a 16.4oz propane cylinder (although apparently it will work with other gasses, the 16.4oz camping cylinder is wide enough to support the additional weight on the head)

edit: searzall!

Butterflied lamb leg, seasoned and 136F for 24 hours:

Searing:

Post-sear:

Plated:

I added some pressure cooked carrots and a simple sauce of balsamic, honey, and the bag juice but I forgot to take a picture. Searing takes slightly longer than a naked torch but the "torch taste" is non-existant. Definitely a great product assuming the screens either last a long time or are cheap to replace. Does take a bit of practice to get the feel down though, some places on the lamb are a bit over done and under done but not charcoal-ey

granpa yum fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 19, 2014

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

.Z. posted:

Possibly? I'm wondering if it's just a matter of getting used to how a searzall applies the heat.

Definitely a big factor. The orange glow it casts makes seeing what you're doing a bit tough with certain items (toast was certainly much easier) but even without that there's definitely a "feel" to it.

I didn't think about oil; I remember seeing a video where they did a chicken breast and brushed it with oil prior to searing so it's probably a good idea.

This thing is just insane for cheese though, that alone makes it worthwhile to me. With the right touch you get that perfect food artist tv ad kind of melting or you can push a bit more and get really nice browning as well.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Isn't the limiting factor thickness? In that case I would just separate the point from the flat.

Or if I just want shredded beef is there something better than brisket?

I've done sous vide brisket. Smoked for ~4 hours at ~149f/65%rh and then sous vide at 149f for 48 hours. You lose the bark (or soften it significantly if you smoke it long enough to develop one) but the meat is excellent. I suggest cutting as you described, that's what I did. If you skip the smoke it should still turn out fine, just not smoked obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I don't even know that it's either because since I washed the outside of my bags I have not experienced any beefy smells on my latest 72 hour cook. The only thing I've noticed is hard water stains from the evaporating water line.

The only thing I've had permeate through the bag is smoke; when I smoke brisket or shoulder I'll finish it sous vide and the water smells like smoke and turns brown