Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Spatule posted:

Don't botulism spores die in your stomach anyway, like with honey ? As in: botulism is only bad when you inhale it, and for babies ?

The spores themselves are harmless, yes. When presented with the right environment (warm, oxygen-free, and full of tasty food) the spores germinate - becoming active bacteria again. So if you let your food sit there in the bag for a long while after cooking, you could potentially create a happy place for botulism bacteria - which will then go on to produce some wonderful botulinum toxin, a tiny amount of which can cause paralysis or death. Fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

IIRC, the various enzymes that age/tenderize a steak are broken down at around 105 F and 122 F. If you want a nice aged steak you let those enzymes work slowly at refrigerator temperatures for weeks - but you could theoretically do it faster at warmer temperatures, and I've heard of people trying to hold meat at lower temperatures to attempt this. I assume that's what Spatule was doing.

In theory as long as you're out of the danger zone within 4 hours, it should be safe... but the "4 hour" rule of thumb is based on the assumption that much of that time will be at room temp rather than 90-110 F where bacteria really thrive. Spatule got through it a little faster than that so maybe the risk wasn't too great (someone might try googling the numbers, but I'm lazy). He certainly should have brought the temp up to just over 55 C (~132 F) though, since some bacteria can survive anything less than that and he was doing a risky long cook.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

And another (expires August 14): thanks-f6ef8747

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Anova exec 1 month ago: poo poo, why not offer customers a massive discount for doing this survey? We only sell one thing anyway and they already bought it! *evil cackle*

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Never found scrambled eggs to be worth the effort.

I need to try short ribs again.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I do mine about 6 hours at 133. I can't say I've bothered to experiment with other durations though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

4hr tri-tip at 134* made some awesome French dip.

Good to hear. Gonna soak a couple myself tomorrow; one standard Santa Maria style and one experimental Carolina mustard style. Can't wait to see how the latter turns out.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Samizdata posted:

You West Coast bastards and your ability to get tritips! :fuckoff:

I thought tritip was getting more common elsewhere. In addition to Trader Joe's, you can try Costco. I usually have luck there when visiting friends out of state.

Edit:

Samizdata posted:

Neither do I. I see corn. And soybeans....

Sounds like you may actually be closer to an actual cow than to a Costco. With a little bit of practice and a good knife you can have any cut you want...

My mustard experiment came out ok, though in most of my guests' (and my) opinion the standard one was better.

It did, however, really make me want to make another batch of the sauce and smoke some pork spare ribs (does anyone find ribs to be worth vizzling? I recall I tried it once and didn't find it worth the effort).

Steve Yun posted:

Well, slap my rear end.

Santa Monica Seafood should too, I'd think. And crawfish. Can't say how good they are because I hate oysters and can't afford to shop there anyway!

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 6, 2014

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Anyone have a favorite pork chop temp/recipe?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Sniff test to make sure, but I think at that point as long as the bag was unbroken the food inside is pasteurized.

http://www.cookingissues.com/uploads/Low_Temp_Charts.pdf

This only means it's safe to eat right after cooking. Spore-forming bacteria like botulinum can survive those temperatures easily and start to germinate again when the temperature comes back down into the danger zone. 5 hours in lukewarm water is pushing it IMO, since botulism is less of a oops-I'm-making GBS threads-liquid thing and more of an oops-I'm-not-breathing thing.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

MrEnigma posted:

Yeah won't turn on or anything. The first one I got had some issues when it got warmer (170+) and would shut off, but you could just turn it back on. They took that one back and got me a new one quick then, it's just the warranty now.

Kind of scares me about these devices. I don't want to be buying a new one every few years.

If you're in California or a state with similar laws, your warranty is extended by however long your device is out for warranty repairs/replacement. So if you were without for a week due to the previous issue, your warranty is extended by a week. Also iirc on replacements the law gives you 90 days warranty, so if (for example) it was replaced last month it should still be warrantied for a couple more months.

But I doubt Anova will give you any trouble anyway, they seem pretty decent and responsive.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Straker posted:

Hi, I came to post that Anova is finally shipping, meaning I should have my five cookers in the next month or so assuming everyone is still interested!

Definitely still interested.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

Also, Cambros are more expensive and less insulated than coolers. They're worse in basically every way.

Except that you can see your water level and whether any of your bags have decided to float up at a glance without having to open the lid.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

The Midniter posted:

:rolleyes:

This post brought to you by Big Cambro...

Guy made an intelligent response to a post that said cambros are "worse in basically every way." Where was the rolleyes and dumb "Big Cooler" joke for that one?

If only there was a rolleyes vomiting rolleyes I could post in response to you.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Apologies then. Sarcasm is not easy to detect on the internets.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

dotster posted:

With the soft lids like that you can just use strong scissors or an exacto knife, for the hard plastic ones a dremmel or band saw work well.

A hole saw is best. The original Anova has a diameter slighltly under 3" iirc so use a 3" hole saw (please double check my lovely memory with a ruler). I don't know the diameter of the new one.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

No matter how long I stare at your balls I can't figure out what's going on there. What up with your balls?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

That's what I figured they were for, but that's like 4 inches deep of balls which seemed crazy excessive. To each his own balls I guess.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

It's been a long time since I've done short ribs but iirc I liked 144 better than 133 (I never tried 129).

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Why would stick something into your mouth after it showed not one, but two signs of bacterial growth? Hopefully there was enough air in the jars that it wasn't botulism.

Your slow death by paralysis and suffocation aside, you didn't say how large the jars were so it's hard to say much. Assuming a typical quart jar you've got a cylinder with a diameter of 3.5 to 4 inches depending on the style, and in 132.5 degree water it could take between 6 and 8 hours to come to temperature. That is too long to be safe IMO. The air might have made things a bit worse but I find it hard to believe things weren't up to temp after 24 hours (are you certain your thermometer is accurate?). Fake edit: I just reread your post and at the very end you seem to imply you didn't even fully submerge your jars? I guess that explains that.

I don't even double bag for long cooks and I notice minimal leakage. Maybe try better bags? If you insist on using jars, 144 degrees should be safe enough with quart jars assuming you actually submerge them.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Well, yogurt isn't a great example since that is done at a low temp with the explicit intent of growing bacteria. Not what you want with short ribs.

Filling the jars with at-temp liquid, which he apparently did, might make it safer but it does depend on the overall average temperature of the meat and liquid together. It sounds like the temperature fell over time; one can only assume heat was escaping the unsubmerged part of the jar (which presumably included the metal lid, a good heat conductor - though an air gap at the top of the jar would actually mitigate that somewhat) faster than it was penetrating the submerged part of the jar.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

I used my torch to sear them once they came out of the bags, and I cooked them at 144. I dunno, just seemed like the fat didn't melt like it should have and there were large chunks in the meat.

The fat isn't really going to render at those temps (at 144 it gets pretty soft but not quite rendered out). A good searing helps. I haven't really done short ribs since my first couple attempts for the same reason though, but I've been meaning to try again.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 18, 2014

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

dalstrs posted:

I loved this when I made them Sous Vide Carrots

I'm going to be doing these (and pearl onions). I'm blaming you if my Thanksgiving is ruined.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Plinkey posted:

So what can I do with the leftover juice from doing short ribs for 72 hours?

FWIW I've never once had success using bag juice for anything. I always end up with weird poo poo coagulating in it. Others don't seem to have this problem though. :shrug:

dalstrs posted:

I'll take the blame as long as when they are awesome you tell you family it's my fault.

They were well received, so thanks. I don't know if I'd go as far as awesome, but then both they and the turchetta I did ended up doing an extended stay in the bath (just warming at 130 degrees) because the guy doing the ham showed up late with the ham still cold. This did more harm to the turchetta (not super moist) than the carrots though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I literally just googled this equation so hopefully I'm doing it right (the result seems reasonable):

(mass 1) (Δt 1) (specific heat capacity 1) = (mass 2) (Δt 2) (specific heat capacity 2)

Assuming you have an approximately equal mass of water and meat (you said lots of meat!), we can cut mass out of the equation. The specific heat capacity of water is about 4.2 and meat about 2.8 (actually varies a lot depending on what meat but this is a good average I think). So:

(x - 30) * 2.8 = (170 - x) * 4.2

So x = 114. That will be your final equilibrium temperature. That will be thawed. The real question is will it happen fast enough (the last bit will take forever really, so to pull a number from my rear end you might be looking more at closer to 110 in the center of the meat) and is that warm enough to feel right if you just sear and eat (probably not).

Why not throw it in the fridge to slow thaw the day before, then warm half in the sansaire and the other half in the cooler? Monitor the cooler closely though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Hed posted:

You're forgetting latent heat (the thawing) in the (heat lost = heat gained) equation above, but looks like it doesn't matter at this point.

I guess this is why I got a C in physics. :science:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any reason why a whole brisket would be unsafe to sous vide? I know that very thick cuts will not hear to core safely, but I figure a brisket is thin enough to not be a problem.

I am actually doing this for tamales. I am thinking of doing the chile sauce first and putting a little in the bag with the meat. Last year I smoked the brisket for tamales and they were great and I think sous vide will be even better.

So you did your tamales, and they turned out great. Got a recipe?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

100 hour oxtail. It's a lot more fat and a lot more gelatin than short ribs.

Temperature? Since oxtail is so fatty and I assume the fat didn't really render off much, was it actually pleasant to eat? (This is one of the issues I had with short ribs, too.)

Ultimate Mango posted:

Long post incoming

I'll give this a shot next week, thanks!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Plinkey posted:

What temp did you do the short ribs? I did some for thanksgiving and tried to cut most of the outside fat off before going into the puddle. 135 for 72 hours then about 45s-1 min on each side in peanut oil and everyone said that it tasted like prime rib. The fat turned into a meat jello and was amazing.

I tried 72 hours at 133, and it just wasn't pleasant. Too mushy and not the kind of texture you expect. Funny enough, when I find a brisket at 133 everyone also agreed it was just like prime rib - but that was the *problem*. If we wanted prime rib we'd have done prime rib (and I have vizzled a nice prime rib), but brisket should be brisket. After some experimentation we determined that 163 degrees is right for brisket. I haven't gotten around to figuring out my preferred temp for short ribs yet but I suspect it'll be 144 or 150.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

As a general rule, don't eat farts.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

God bless costco.

The Midniter posted:

If they came multiple cookers per larger cardboard box, even the cylindrical container holding the cooker would hold up to shipping, I think...just duct tape the seam shut and put the shipping label right on the tube.

Straker, feel free to do this with mine.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

PM sent.

Everyone around here has been getting the drat flu too but I've been lucky so far so I can't complain. Take however long you need.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Hmm, I always do my tri tip for 6 hours at 133. Never has it felt mushy.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

I made some sous vide dulce de leche for Christmas gifts, spread a little of the leftover on some panettone this morning and it was awesome. It's so easy.

Its easier just boiling it in the can IMO. One of the few cases where puddling is actually more difficult, though granted it's still pretty drat easy.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Today I got my new Anova that Straker sent (thanks!) and I did a quick temperature test. It seems accurate enough so far, if not perfect - reads about 0.6 degrees higher than both my old Anova and my thermapen.

Interestingly because it's shorter than the old one, the minimum water line is actually higher than the old one when its clamped to my cambro.

I'll have to think of something interesting to inaugurate it with.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I just gave a friend an Anova. He wants to try some swordfish, which is not a thing I've sous vided before (in fact I've never done any kind of fish). There's been lots of talk of salmon, but swordfish seems pretty different. Any tips?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

I think a lot of the discrepancies have to do with sous vide being a relatively new cooking method in the realm of the amateur chef.

That may be true to some degree, but it's also a result of preference. The different time/temp combinations giving you different results; what one person likes, others may not, so you may have to try a few different methods to find the one that works for you.

For example, sous vide allows you to cook a tender brisket to a perfect medium-rare, which may be great for some people - but I tried it, and it was basically indistinguishable from prime rib. That's not to say it was bad, it just wasn't what we were looking for in a brisket. I cook my briskets at 167 now.

Mikey Purp posted:

Those babies are pasteurized. You can pull them, throw them in an ice bath until cool, and then store them in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.

I know I repeat myself a lot on this thread but do keep in mind that sous vide does not kill botulism spores, and the vacuum bag is a perfect environment for anaerobic bacteria.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

deimos posted:

How exactly is the botulinum going to grow at fridge temps?

Sorry, thought he was responding to Mr Executive, whose short ribs had been sitting in warm water for an indeterminate amount of time.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I had a T1000 for a while but it turned out not only was its BTU output pretty low, it actually broke when exposed to high heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Based on a few tries I found I prefer brisket 24 hours @ 166 degrees. 133 just doesn't produce the texture one expects from a brisket IMO.