Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Genewiz posted:

I've only made 1 complete dish out of the book. It took me the whole weekend and in the end, it didn't feel like a good investment of my time. I just thumb through the book for flavor, time and temperature ideas. Good explanations of why certain things are done a specific way.

I view it the same way as the French Laundry book; you might make a handful of the dishes in their entirety (and it will take 3 or 4 days), but you will definitely end up taking some of the components and using them in other dishes.

Either way, make the carrot cake. at least once. It's delicious, and impressive as hell.

Plus it's pretty to look at, interesting to read, and Thomas is the best.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

neongrey posted:

I remember a blog that was going through the French Laundry cookbook with the intent of doing every recipe, but I don't know if it's still around.

http://carolcookskeller.blogspot.com.au/

She has since moved on to Alinea.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

I hear you're supposed to use a high temperature non-butane blowtorch. Too much effort and money for me though.

Since they discontinued MAPP/Pro, I just went back to propane and it's dirt cheap.

Still takes longer than cast iron heated up to FuckoffHot°

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Chemmy posted:

They discontinued MAPP, not MAPP/Pro as far as I know.

Mapp/Pro is now just propylene, rather than actual MAPP which was a methylacetylene mix that wouldn't murder your children like acetylene.

It only burns like 120°f hotter than propane, but costs (at least here) three times as much.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Right but MAPP/Pro has always been propylene.

After some internetting, it appears you are right - the stuff we used to use came in regular mapp and pro (with the latter being a mapp/oxy torch kit) but the Bernzo trademarked 'Mapp//Pro' version was always 99%+ propylene. My mistake :)

It also appears that you can get an off the shelf mapp-pro/oxy kit, which is kind of awesome.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 29, 2013

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

MeKeV posted:

Just received an email from Sansaire saying release date pushed back to Jan 30th.

Will post up the email later if anyone is interested?

e: vvvvv yeah that's it. Bummer.

It's pretty annoying. Not unexpected though, I guess.

I was going to vizzle up some steaks for a family bbq over xmas for about 30 people, mixed between rare/med/well done. Having a second IC was going to make it simple as hell.

I guess I can still just do the medium ones first, then drop them in with the rare ones to reheat before hitting them all with fire. But still, starting to wish I just picked up an Anova *fistshake*

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

My Sansaire has just left Hong Kong. Just under six months after I paid for it.

Woo, Kickstarter.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Full Circle posted:

Just got my shipping notice as well, anyone mind recommending a specific cut of meat to cook when it arrives? preferably something that takes < 5 hours.

I made a bigass 2 1/2lb ribeye steak, 130f for about 5 hours then sear the hell out of it. Served simply with wilted spinach, smashed potatoes and a red wine reduction.

It was the best steak I've ever eaten.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

I was preparing some sous vide onions for french onion soup, but unfortunately I used yellow onions instead, and cut across the equator instead of pole to pole and now I've got onion mush.

I'll get some proper red onions and save the yellow onion mush for a stock or jam or something.

Who makes onion soup out of red onions? Why is it bad that you used yellow onions like every single person ever, including Keller and Ducasse and Escoffier?

What is this madness?! Am I missing out on something awesome? >:/

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 27, 2014

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

cooter64 posted:

Made kenji's carrot recipe (carrots, butter, sugar, s+p one hour at 183, the into hot pan). They tasted like carrots. Idiot proof, but probably not worth the hassle.

Anyone have any veggie recs?

Trim down a kg or so of small carrots.
Melt a couple TB of butter in a pan, throw in around a tsp each of coriander and caraway seeds and cook til it smells tasty.
Add both to a bag, seal and vizzle at 85c for 45-60m

Drain the juices into a saucepan, throw in a splash of madeira (or sherry, if it's all you have) and a tb or so of butter, cook it down a little, then throw in your carrots and reduce to a glaze.

Delicious - and I hate carrots.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I've ended up using my huge stock pot for everything. It works fine, but because I'm using so much water it takes forever to heat up.

...use hot water?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Tres Burritos posted:

What are the chances of my house burning down while I'm not watching this thing during the day?

I'm assuming there's no issue, but are there any extra precautions I should take? It's weird, I'm 100% comfortable leaving a slow-cooker on forever but leaving the sansaire unattended sort of makes me nervous.

I've never had one of my large containers of water set on fire.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Does sous vide have any potential for dessert-making? That's really more my area of interest and these machines are so cool, but I'm a little lost at what kind of sweets they could help produce other than maybe like custards and puddings.

I use mine to vizzle up a pears in syrah/apples in chardonnay combo and it worked out well.

You can, obv, do it in a saucepan, but the flame settings on my gas grill are more a random function than an exact setting, so the vizzle gives me one less thing to manage.

deimos posted:

Could they burst? I know they don't in a pressure cooker but is that because it's under pressure or simply because it doesn't expand as much?

That's how they taught us do it in Argentina.
And it's how Keller does it in the Bouchon Bakery book (although I thought it was weird they aren't doing it from scratch using milk from some random cow he once met in an idyllic Wisconsin meadow).

I'd say you are safe.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Bloody posted:

Currently sous viding my first short ribs. I triple-bagged them, but they were floating too much, so I added a pair of wrenches to the outermost bag. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a disaster. I look forward to eating the meat and having hot wrenches in several days.

I find 48h @ 65c leaves my wrenches pretty tough. Maybe shoot for 72h.