Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The large Cambro containers and lids are expensive and today I saw a huge beer cooler at Lowes for $15, any reason I shouldn't just use that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Anybody done skirt or flank steak for Thai beef salad sous vide? Since the steak is served chilled I like it cooked medium but I'm wondering if sous vide changes things at all.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

It's almost always worth it to buy the biggest/best piece of equipment you can afford when it comes to your hobbies. I'm sure we've all been burned by buying the second best *whatever* thinking you can learn to make do and then six months later you're shelling out for the upgrade and now you've got one just sitting on a shelf somewhere never getting used.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Any harm in doing a 48 hour cook in one of those disposable styrofoam coolers?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I've had the Krups F203 one for years and it's great. Easy to use, easy to clean, and doesn't take up much space.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Goast posted:

Well this is a thing I guess

Hot Pockets?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I'm doing Kenji's Sous Vide Smoked Beef Chuck (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-smoked-barbecue-bbq-beef-chuck-recipe.html) recipe soon, is there anything I should do differently if my chuck is in two pieces that are half as thick as what's called for in the recipe?

Edit: I see his is a chuck roll. I'm working with two 2.5 lb roasts that are about 1.5 inches thick each.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 1, 2017

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Chuck roast

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

What is the texture like for chuck roast cooked at 136 for 18-24 hours? I'm a little worried about some of the grandparents being able to chew it on Christmas. The only chuck I've sous vided before was Kenji's BBQ recipe.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

One time I followed his suggestion to dump the juices (and incidentally quite a bit of the rub) from a sous vide "BBQ" chuck roast into my homemade sauce and it completely ruined it with all the salt. The meat was great, but ruining the sauce moments before dinner was a real bummer.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

I don't find his recipes salty at all. To me, they're good,

I don't really, either. It was just the one time I used the juice from a sous vide bag.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are gigantic $300 sous vide machines but this dweeb has two of them and an Anova?

Edit: How would you describe the taste/texture of sous vide corn vs traditional cooking methods?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Anybody ever SV chuck roast to get something approximating fajita meat? I was hoping for something sliceable with a little bit of chew.

I'm guessing I can't do a wet marinade for that length of time so I'll just want to use a dry rub? It's been a long time since I got the SV out of the closet.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Anybody ever SV chuck roast to get something approximating fajita meat? I was hoping for something sliceable with a little bit of chew.

I'm guessing I can't do a wet marinade for that length of time so I'll just want to use a dry rub? It's been a long time since I got the SV out of the closet.

I wound up doing this 136° for 24 hours with a simple dry rub, chilled and then seared and sliced. Turned out exactly how I was hoping. The collagen was still a little crunchy when I was slicing it up but when I reheated it later in the hot skillet it turned out really nice.

I did some kind of barrio x Tex-Mex tacos with flour tortillas, diced onion, molcajete guacamole and four chili salsa roja.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Must have? Not in my opinion. Some people like to "make do" and some people take satisfaction in assembling the perfect setup.

As long as your Dutch oven is big enough there's no real reason to buy a special container. I use an old cooler my parents had in their basement and binder clips with a couple spoons twisty tied on to weigh them down.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

explosivo posted:

Anyone try SV chicken wings before? I think generally people say it's not worth it but my issue with chicken wings is always ensuring an even cook for all the wings so dumping a bunch of wings into a bag and thoroughly cooking in a sv bath before finishing in an oven or something sounds appealing. I guess the issue would be needing to finish in an oven long enough to develop a crispy exterior would overcook the meat.

Honestly I can't think of a good reason to sous vide chicken wings, Kenji's recipe comes out basically perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah it can definitely be a bit of a pain, I tried to specify that the end product is basically perfect lol.