Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
First try, gonna sous vide a peruvian sea bass with my Nomiko. Can't promise in-progress pics, but I'll try to get some and an after-action pic. It's marinating right now in olive oil, some garlic, some herbs de Provence, salt + pepper, and also a bit of Momofuku. Rest of the fam is going to make some roasted fingerling potatos and I don't know what other side. Looking to do it at around 137 for 30-ish minutes, and then maybe do a light sear on the outside for some color.

Anything sound wrong with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Kickstarter. They shipped the first batch of 500 in mid September. I guess I was in the high 300's as it looks like the order numbers are chronological.

-e- Timeline:

Sept. 15 posted:

Lisa Q. Fetterman says:
Hello wonderful backers!

As you may have read in our latest update (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/nomiku-bring-sous-vide-into-your-kitchen/posts/591558) shipping for the first five hundred 120V Noms is imminent!

To make sure you get your Nomiku, we want to confirm we have the correct shipping information for you. If you've moved since backing Nomiku, please send an email directly to <redacted>. He will make sure to update your shipping information. Please also note if you have a different phone number contact, please also email <redacted>.

For all you 240V version backers, feel free to also email <redacted>, but please know we haven't solidified a shipping timeline for the 240V yet and will be sending a similar message out again when 240V Nomiku shipping is closer.

Warm regards,
Lisa

Sept. 16 posted:

Dear Wonderful Backers,

We have come to the beginning of the sweetest, most exciting part of our journey together: the first 500 of our 120V Noms passed Chinese customs and are flying to the US! Once they pass through US customs it takes our warehouse in LA 2-5 days to process them and then they come straight to you.

We will be shipping the Noms in chronological order from when you backed us. If you backed us before June 28th, 2012 you will receive a notification email when your Nom is coming. (Please make sure your shipping information is up to date!) If you are not amongst the first 500, do not despair. This second shipment of the remaining Noms are ramping up quickly and will also be in the air soon.

Note to 240V backers, we’ve been applying for CE in parallel and they have requested that we augment our powerboard. We’ve been working aggressively with our factory to achieve this update and submit it for approval.

We will update all of you bi-weekly from now on so you know we are on top of this final stage. All shorter updates in between will be posted on FB and Twitter. And with shipping comes the arrival of our parties, classes, and pop-up stores in the cities you voted for. We will be sending out Eventbrite invites to you as the events get closer and really look forward to meeting/feeding you!

Dedicated,

Lisa, Abe, and Bam

I emailed them back the same day updating my address.

Sept. 19 got a message that it was at the warehouse.

Then Sept. 23, same email (warehouse) with the following addendum: "NOTE: This may be the second confirmation email you've received. We noticed a shipping bug in our system that listed the wrong destination countries in some addresses. That bug should be squashed and we wanted to resend a correct confirmation."

Sept. 24th got my shipping notification. I think it arrived around the 30th or so. Got a delivery confirmation email on Oct. 2. I didn't play with it until today as I've been super busy.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 17, 2013

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
So sea bass trial run was successful.

The Nomiku comes pretty good and wedged into its packaging, with the device, power cable, warranty card, very short manual, and then a longer flipbook with recipes, info on pasteurization and potential contaminants/bacteria, and some operating tips.

The device clips onto a pot or something, and necessitates you use a fairly large container; most of my normal pots that I use for things like pasta or such are not quite deep enough. Nomiku recommends an eight-liter capacity. I'd recommend not using a metal pot if you can, because it definitely seems to radiate heat away causing it to heat more slowly. However, you can't go TOO thick due to the clip only extending out so far, so your best bet would probably be something like the plastic tub that the Side KIC is using in the OP (the picture right above the Nomiku in the OP).

You fill it up with water up to the "min" line on the device, then plug it in and turn it on (tap the screen), set your temp, and go. The temp wheel seems a bit finicky and unresponsive, and took some play to actually get my selected temp. It does, however, go in .1 Farenheit increments. Tap the screen to switch between Farenheit and Celsius. Hold it for about 5 seconds to turn off, and it gives you some little chef's aphorism.

I made the mistake of not using hot water when filling up the freaking massive pot, not realizing how long it would take to heat up the whole thing from 80 Farenheit. Holy poo poo. It took forever. It creeps up at about 1 degree per minute on average, occasionally going up in spurts of .3-.5 over 5-6 seconds, and then stalling out, even decreasing by .1 or .2, then recovering and going again. Granted, in my case it was a massive amount of water that it was heating up by nearly 60 degrees, but I was kind of expecting a more powerful heating element. If you started with water from an insta-hot, or start with near-boiling water and then add cool water to bring it down, you might be better off. Looking for ways to speed the time up, I started scooping water out down to the "min" line with a cup, and replacing it back up to my desired level with water from the insta-hot; as one might expect, both actions (lowering the amount of water in the pot and adding hot water to it) raised the temperature fairly quickly. This cut the time down to around 25 minutes to heat it up from 80 degrees. Again, next time, I'll just use already hot water and not have to wait. I had selected 137 as my temp of choice, as this was a fairly thick cut( 2 bigass filets that were enough for 4 people) -- most of the recipes I saw were calling for 135 for 20-25 minutes, so I thought my extra time would be warranted.

The results were pretty awesome. The fish was super flaky and smelled amazing when I opened the bag. My marinade was olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs de Provence, chopped garlic, and some Momofuku braising sauce, and you could definitely taste it permeating throughout the fish. After taking it out of the bag, I briefly seared it off for some color, but stupidly forgot to pat it dry before doing so, and it wasn't that great of a sear, and some of the fish stuck to the pan. On the other hand, it didn't even really need it. It would have been delicious just as it was. Served with garlic roasted fingerling potatos, and a small salad.

Overall, I can see this being an extremely easy way to add some variety into my meals. Now that I've had a trial run, I'd expect the next time to be crockpot levels of "effort-free". You basically just toss your poo poo in the bag, seal it, start it up, and forget it until your timer goes off. Gonna probably do a veal chop next week and see how that goes.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

blacquethoven posted:

You should try turning the burner under your pot of water on.

There's a power cable hanging over the edge of the pot, and it's a gas burner. Seems like that'd be a fairly serious fire hazard. Also the manual says not to do that.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Doing 8 hog snapper fillets and a atlantic salmon steak today.